Hosting?

daprgast

Aug 31, 2015
Hello all, 

I'm preparing to release the prototype of my WIP Gaast, and I'm curious what everyone's favorite hosting site is.  The game is currently only 58mb, and while I expect it to get much larger eventually, it should be quite small for a little while.

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
What sort of filetype is it? Flash, browser game? Downloadable exe or installer? Guessing by the file size I would guess the last. Mega is probably my favorite as it seems relatively private and no strings attached. It also does not demand a login to download or anything like that.

daprgast

Aug 31, 2015
Right now it's just a zipped exe and some bat files.  I'll make an installer eventually, but I'm just trying to get a feel for whether people are interested.

levant

Aug 31, 2015
I'd be able to tell you if I was interested if I knew what it was, more specifically than just "a (probably)adult game"

daprgast

Aug 31, 2015
Right... that will be why I'm asking for peoples preferred file hosting sites, so I can host it and show everyone the prototype.

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
Here is my list. Its mostly based on what I find as a user is continent to download from. I don't necessarily have a ton of experience using these services from an uploaded.

1. Mega
  2. Drop Box (will throttle you if you get too many downloads)
  3. Google Drive (probably same as above).
  4. BitTorrent (of course not everyone is familiar with bittorrent clients)
  5. MediaFire (as I recall it pesters you to make an account and throttles downloads if you don't have one)
There is a much more detailed list of specs on wikipedia.

Really most things are fine. Just post it somewhere. If people have problems accessing it they will give you more specific complaints.

daprgast

Aug 31, 2015
Thanks, Void.  I was assuming I'd use Mega, but wanted to know if anyone had any other suggestions - it's been kind of a pain in the ass for me before.

SeldomPie

Aug 30, 2015
I've been using http://itch.io/ to host my game lately, and I've found it pretty top notch! Faster and easier than generic file hosting sites, and lets you set up a game info page. Also, has no problems with adult content in games, though if you wanna charge for them, there's the usual paypal etc restrictions.

daprgast

Aug 31, 2015
I've been using http://itch.io/ to host my game lately, and I've found it pretty top notch! Faster and easier than generic file hosting sites, and lets you set up a game info page. Also, has no problems with adult content in games, though if you wanna charge for them, there's the usual paypal etc restrictions.

Awesome, I had not heard of this!

SeldomPie

Aug 30, 2015
It's pretty great! I'd recommend it to anyone with a game project they're working on to use for hosting over generic file host sites, on account of it being kind of custom designed for game hosting and all :3 Forgot to mention it earlier, but it also has neat download trackers and things to keep track of how many people have tried your game and neat stuff like that. Also should have mentioned - it's totally free of charge! The guy who runs it funds the site by taking a cut from people who *do* charge people for the games they have hosted there.

(I swear I am not affiliated with the site at all. :p I just have had nightmares with hosting my game in the past, and itch.io is acers for it)

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015

Intresting, I have used itch.io for sfw games before but I did not know they allowed nsfw ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sadtaco

Aug 27, 2015
Itch.io seems quite good from what I've seen, but I haven't used it myself.

daprgast

Aug 31, 2015
I just used it for the first time - seems great.  My only complaint is that there's nowhere to review or comment.

EDIT: I'm a dummy, there is a way - I just needed to enable it.

Last edited by a moderator:

higi

Oct 3, 2015
I just used it for the first time - seems great.  My only complaint is that there's nowhere to review or comment.

EDIT: I'm a dummy, there is a way - I just needed to enable it.

nice  and all but where is the link too try it?