Half-Species

MakoBlade

Sep 19, 2018
So, I was trying to alter a Half-Ausar to have a wolf tail and ears just for my mental state. Instead of keeping it as "Half-Ausar" or even moving it more to Lupin, I'm considered human or gabilani. I don't see how this equates.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
1. It's based on percentages.
2. Lupine is it's own thing, so it can't qualify you for any Canine races.
3. 'Half-Lupine' isn't a race with a score. Even if it was, you'd likely need more than Ears and Tail.
4. Gabilani has some Human parts that you qualify for.

Do you have Cheats enabled? If so, you can check out the exact breakdown in the Codex. (No, I don't know why they restricted it that way.)

Wafflesnake

Nov 4, 2023
(No, I don't know why they restricted it that way.)
Fen felt that it was pulling back the curtain too much, is the real answer. But there's a coder that wants to add the ability for players to pick a high scoring race as "their" race, that they identify as. So that's deliberately a little fuzzy.

in discord, from donkey, about why the breakdown exists the way that it does

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
But there's a coder that wants to add the ability for players to pick a high scoring race as "their" race, that they identify as.
That was added in 0.9.081. It's under Appearance. In fact, that's what's being complained about here, I think. (Since it only lets you choose races that are over some threshold. 80%?)

Wafflesnake

Nov 4, 2023
That was added in 0.9.081. It's under Appearance. In fact, that's what's being complained about here, I think. (Since it only lets you choose races that are over some threshold. 80%?)
the message was an old one, i probably should've only included the relevant bit. its from a conversation a couple months ago when they were getting the whole being able to choose your own race ready

Reactions: MakoBlade

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
So, I was trying to alter a Half-Ausar to have a wolf tail and ears just for my mental state. Instead of keeping it as "Half-Ausar" or even moving it more to Lupin, I'm considered human or gabilani. I don't see how this equates.
If you can provide a save file I can test with, I'll try to look into it.

Amakawa Yuuto

Sep 6, 2015
Berlin
(Since it only lets you choose races that are over some threshold. 80%?)
It allows me to choose Galotian, which I have only 63%. On the other hand, it only allows me to choose Galorian, since the next highest race is at 40%, so in my specific case it might just be a case of "if below X, pick highest".

But the percentages are a mess anyway.

(I'm 40% Hellhound based solely on having demonic parts. The exact same demonic parts give me 38% demon-morph. So, despite having no dog traits, and only a few demon traits, I'm more dog-demon than demon. But then, nonsense like this is exactly why the "Preferred Species" picker was implemented in the first place.)

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
It allows me to choose Galotian, which I have only 63%. On the other hand, it only allows me to choose Galorian, since the next highest race is at 40%, so in my specific case it might just be a case of "if below X, pick highest".

But the percentages are a mess anyway.

(I'm 40% Hellhound based solely on having demonic parts. The exact same demonic parts give me 38% demon-morph. So, despite having no dog traits, and only a few demon traits, I'm more dog-demon than demon. But then, nonsense like this is exactly why the "Preferred Species" picker was implemented in the first place.)
The threshold is over 50% to be able to listed as an option.

There is a note on how the percentages should be interpreted on the Race menu. Do not think of them as how much of a percent your Steele is towards a race, but rather a "grade" for how likely you are considered for a particular race. So instead of "40% hellhound", it's "hellhound has a grade of 40%" (out of its max point score). This way, if you only ever have demonic parts, that's probably the highest you'll ever get for hellhound. Get more demonic parts and the demon-morph grade will become higher. Hopefully that makes more sense.

Reactions: waterpanther7

TheShepard256

Would it be possible to add half-races as a choosable option for those who don't meet the threshold, but still meet a lower threshold (say, 35%?), and/or alien hybrid for those who don't have any other choosable options (aside from the stupid option that is amazon)? Save attached for an example where either of these would be useful; as-is, my character is referred to as a full gryvain despite very clearly being half-gryvain at most, and I have no option to pick a more appropriate designation.

Attachments

• Isabel (H) - 19Hrs 8Mins, 165 Days - Sidewinder, Kalas.json
    863.1 KB · Views: 5

Amakawa Yuuto

Sep 6, 2015
Berlin
There is a note on how the percentages should be interpreted on the Race menu. Do not think of them as how much of a percent your Steele is towards a race, but rather a "grade" for how likely you are considered for a particular race. So instead of "40% hellhound", it's "hellhound has a grade of 40%" (out of its max point score). This way, if you only ever have demonic parts, that's probably the highest you'll ever get for hellhound. Get more demonic parts and the demon-morph grade will become higher. Hopefully that makes more sense.
I get how the grading system works. Also, I'm intentionally a pretty random mix of all kinds of things, so I'm fine with it not giving me other options, Galotian is the only thing I really leaned into, because I'm a huge fan of shapechangers and it's the shapechangiest species available.
I just find it amusing that, without any dog parts at all, I get a higher Hellhound rating than a demon rating. The need to interpret each race-grade individually is pretty much what I meant by "nonsense like this".

That being said, it's not an issue. The species grading is probably the best solution for a problem with no really good solutions, and the species picker should take care of any edge cases that crop up.
…but it's still a flawed enough system that I can't help but occasionally mock it.

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
Would it be possible to add half-races as a choosable option for those who don't meet the threshold, but still meet a lower threshold (say, 35%?), and/or alien hybrid for those who don't have any other choosable options (aside from the stupid option that is amazon)? Save attached for an example where either of these would be useful; as-is, my character is referred to as a full gryvain despite very clearly being half-gryvain at most, and I have no option to pick a more appropriate designation.
Thanks for the save file. Due to how the race selection works, at least for the moment, it won't be possible to select a half- race. However, I see what the issue is for the automatic race scoring. Since your character has a top race score that was not over 50%, nothing is selectable, as intended. But also, the main issue was that gryvain was the top-most score, even though that score is not over 50%, and the secondary score was also not "human", so the "gryvain" did not get converted to "half-gryvain" (having both the starter race and a human race as the top two races are essential to having the race defined as a half- race right away).

I've made some updates for the next release that should hopefully fix the issue. Now, if the top-most race score falls in that gap of 50% or lower, the race should now be considered a "-morph" or "alien-hybrid". However, if it is above 33% and is one of the starter races, it will be considered a half- version of that race (so essentially what you are looking for). Hopefully this helps.

I may adjust the rules a bit for the half-race to not include a starter race check and just let it be that particular percentage range (50% to 33%, so you can get things like "half demon-morph" or something like that), but I want to see how it plays out first. I don't think I'll be able to support something like "ausar-kaithrit hybrid" since that would be an issue to parse for the condensed version of the race. Besides, by the time the race scoring reaches that point, the scores of each race would be sub-50%, and that would be a lot of matches.

• Love
Reactions: TheShepard256

MakoBlade

Sep 19, 2018
If you can provide a save file I can test with, I'll try to look into it.
Hope I did it right, never done this before. The only reason I brought this up was because Ausar are described in the game as having quote: "Perky wolf Like ears." So swapping them for lupin ears should theoretically count, at least I think it should. My goal was basically trying to have a half-lupin girl with the ears and tail, but not the fur on the body or limbs. As for the Gabilani, she was originally four feet, I've since changed it to 4"8 and that got rid of thaat lable.

Attachments

• Nora (F) - 3Hrs 34Mins, 116 Days - Spearhead SS, Herisiod.json
    857.2 KB · Views: 4

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
Hope I did it right, never done this before. The only reason I brought this up was because Ausar are described in the game as having quote: "Perky wolf Like ears." So swapping them for lupin ears should theoretically count, at least I think it should. My goal was basically trying to have a half-lupin girl with the ears and tail, but not the fur on the body or limbs. As for the Gabilani, she was originally four feet, I've since changed it to 4"8 and that got rid of thaat lable.
Thanks. I've made some adjustments for the next release. I added Lupine as valid body parts for the ears and tail for Ausar scoring. Similarly, I did the same for Lion body parts, again for ears and tail, for Kaithrit. This should help with the half-race issues for similar race parts. I won't include the other body parts (like arms and legs) since that would conflict too much with the weighting of other species scores, so this will have to do for now.

As for being ranked as human/gabilani, I really can't do too much about that. It's because the human/gabilani score reaches above the 50% threshold, so they are considered valid races, and since other race scores (especially those of the half-race determination) don't reach higher than those two, then the final result is human/gabilani. It's just one of those odd gray areas. Adding more human-shared species would muddy this further (unless those species have their own dedicated body parts), so that is partially why there aren't any additions for species such as Thraggan and Dzaan in particular.

Reactions: MakoBlade

MakoBlade

Sep 19, 2018
the message was an old one, i probably should've only included the relevant bit. its from a conversation a couple months ago when they were getting the whole being able to choose your own race ready
That's what I was talking about, yes. I apologize, I sometimes get a little OCD over character creation stuff and the like.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I've made some updates for the next release that should hopefully fix the issue. Now, if the top-most race score falls in that gap of 50% or lower, the race should now be considered a "-morph" or "alien-hybrid". However, if it is above 33% and is one of the starter races, it will be considered a half- version of that race (so essentially what you are looking for). Hopefully this helps.

It'd be nice if you had the option to disable the "-morph" appendix. I often run a character who's not entirely the stock build for a given species, but in ways that are clearly visually similar: I prefer bull over demon horns on my hellhounds, for instance, and this ends up being enough to knock them down into hellhound-morph territory.

Reactions: Emerald and Bast

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
It'd be nice if you had the option to disable the "-morph" appendix. I often run a character who's not entirely the stock build for a given species, but in ways that are clearly visually similar: I prefer bull over demon horns on my hellhounds, for instance, and this ends up being enough to knock them down into hellhound-morph territory.
Sure, there are/were plans on making toggles for things like that. If you can provide a save file I can test with, I'll try to look into it to see if I can get a simple system working for toggling prefix/suffix for non-unique races.

Reactions: Couch and Bast

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Sure, there are/were plans on making toggles for things like that. If you can provide a save file I can test with, I'll try to look into it to see if I can get a simple system working for toggling prefix/suffix for non-unique races.
Sure.

Attachments

• Asteria (T) - 2Hrs 47Mins, 498 Days - Sidewinder, Ara Ara.json
    718.7 KB · Views: 4

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
Thanks. Upon testing, now with the new rules for Ausar scoring (having lupine ears and tail now count towards the ausar race) (I thought your character had lupine parts for some reason), your character will automatically be considered "ausar". However, with your character's hellhound score being high enough (over 50%), you can select the "hellhound" race as the preferred species. The "hellhound-morph" (canine species variant) doesn't register as the top-most race with the updates (at least for your character), so your character won't be labelled as such.

But regardless, I did include the feature to mask out the race appends, such as "amazonian ", "half-", "-taur" and "-morph" for the next release. So the player can now tailor their race output a bit more precisely if the result is not what they prefer.

Edit: Do note that the current releases' overuse of the "-morph" suffix is a typo bug, and that will already be fixed in the next release.

Last edited: