Good Spell Powers

PalletTown

Sep 10, 2015
I want to experiment with a pure mage build and I wanted to know what the forum thinks are the best spells.

A1teros

Dec 23, 2021
I hear Grease + Fireball and Crackle Powder + Arc Cannon are classics. Power Wave and Holy Shock have the spell tag in game and I use them a lot but those are a bit closer to spellblade than pure mage so that's probably not what you're looking for. Same with Great Heal being more of cleric thing.

Dawnbreak and Soul Arrow are probably the 2 raw spells that I use the most. Soul Arrow doing respectable damage that I don't think is resisted by anything? and heals your hp is pretty great and Dawnbreak being a half holy AOE that's really strong and also gives you a weapon buff is pretty cool.

Reactions: TalRasha

Verro

Jul 4, 2023
Soul Arrow I think is underrated. I usually get one shots with it and it's a self heal. Even has a low recharge. Ray of Frost I think is another really good one, as long as you aren't in the Rift.

Luftwaffles

Jul 21, 2022
Discord and Aria of Waves are the two highest DPS AOE recharge spells. Charge Weapon is usually better than using at-will spells, even with no investment in Strength and full mage gear.

Reactions: TalRasha

Ireyon

May 14, 2018
Charge Weapon is usually better than using at-will spells, even with no investment in Strength and full mage gear.
Unfortunately true. The bonus damage of Charge Weapon is almost as strong as an actual attack (25 with spellpower vs 30 with spell power) and done on top of the actual attack.

Ironically a white mage (which is where this move comes from) will prefer a healing at will or lay on hands for a tank build because the white mage at-wills are such great heal spells.

They can still get it with Dawnbreak from the Var Ridell crown though.

PalletTown

Sep 10, 2015
I thinking

Equanimity (w/silver mask)
Soul Arrow
Discord
Flames Within

What do you guys think?

VantagePoint

Sep 1, 2015
Should work, a bit of a glass cannon, but it's doable.
It does feel wasteful to do flames within without a spellblade build, but mages are kinda strapped for encounter powers. Vitality Reap is pretty dang good though, but nothing else really comes to mind as something to consider.

I've been playing around with the idea of a Thief that goes all in on crit and drops the spellblade shenanigans. I'll have to get back to you on that one since I have no experience with that power.