Good/Favorite Booze/Alcohol/Spirits/Rum(and why it's gone)

EnderMuo

Jul 11, 2016
So yeah starting this topic to see about good drinks, get an opinion on what the best one is for what your looking or. So far my favorite is Rumchata. Discovered it while looking for a desert I could make in a crockpot (only thing other than microwave I had to cook with at the time.) Discovered this delightful drink and an excelent banana bread recipe. Have this in coffee, over a desert, in a desert or by itself. :perfect:

Screen-Shot-2011-11-07-at-10.26.18-AM.png

jarllee97

Jun 13, 2016
Chilled Lethbridge mead drank from a Bull horn (Drink it like a Viking or not at all)

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
Beringer's wine. Scotch... micro-brewery beer. I've yet to try mead and I really would like to try it one day. I've tried Rum though the last time it was a small amount and it knocked me on my ass. I don't drink alcohol very often so I really don't have a tolerance. my mother was an alcoholic so I really don't want to turn into one :p

jarllee97

Jun 13, 2016
Beringer's wine. Scotch... micro-brewery beer. I've yet to try mead and I really would like to try it one day. I've tried Rum though the last time it was a small amount and it knocked me on my ass. I don't drink alcohol very often so I really don't have a tolerance. my mother was an alcoholic so I really don't want to turn into one :p

Best way I can describe mead is kinda like a sweet wine that burns when you drink it. Also, as long as you're careful you can get it with relatively low alcohol content.

Glassboy

Sep 6, 2015
Ireland
I love Strawberry Daiquiris and I recently picked up a bottle of raspberry flavoured vodka that taste great mixed with Pepsi. Those drinks might be a little too girly though?

Akhter13

Aug 30, 2015
I love Strawberry Daiquiris and I recently picked up a bottle of raspberry flavoured vodka that taste great mixed with Pepsi. Those drinks might be a little too girly though?

Too girly? Only if you are not comfortable with the man you are.

Just this week my colleagues and I were discussing the joy of a properly made Daiquiris [fresh ingredients are key]. One of the gentlemen was decrying his wife for only ever taking Long Island Ice-Tea, but then again she only drinks to get drunk.

Of course these drinks are less suited to the winter months, when I would choose a mulled wine or port.

Lexa

Jul 9, 2016
Baja Rosa over ice has to be one of my all time favourites. (I'm a one drink wonder and this is my choice when I want to get drunk without knowing it's alcohol.)

Cake vodka with Coke (Vanilla or Whipped Cream vodka are better if you prefer sweeter or if you live in Canada where Cake vodka is rare)

Absolut raspberry vodka with Sprite is also delicious. Doesn't taste like alcohol at all.

muttdoggy

Mar 23, 2016
I prefer dark beer like Porters, Stouts, and occasionally a good strong red or amber. When it comes to hard liquor, I have a penchant for Scotch like Crown Royal, Brandy, and Rum. I avoid mixed drinks but I will drink the above mixed with apples, cinnamon, vanilla, cherries, and sodas.

jarllee97

Jun 13, 2016
When it comes to mixed drinks I tend to go for the weird stuff. My personal favorite is rotten apple (apple cider and Guiness)

Glassboy

Sep 6, 2015
Ireland
I just realised that no one has actually discussed the real issue here; the reason why it's gone.
Probably because it's tasty and fun to drink.

Too girly? Only if you are not comfortable with the man you are.

Yeah uhh... The thing about that? When I play Yu-Gi-Oh, I always activate my "trap" card.
Just figured I'm a total stereotype and most guys would be more into their stouts and ales and rum, if it wasn't gone.

Also I had some cheap cider the other day that tasted better than the expensive stuff. Cider can be nice.

Zaku

Aug 28, 2015
I'm an odd duck who doesn't enjoy the taste of alcohol much, but doesn't mind the effects. So when I drink I tend to go with things that mask the taste.

Hard cider is my current favorite. The Mike's Hard line is good too. If I'm getting a mixed drink, generally it's something with a vodka base and one of two types of juice to hide it.

muttdoggy

Mar 23, 2016
I'm an odd duck who doesn't enjoy the taste of alcohol much, but doesn't mind the effects. So when I drink I tend to go with things that mask the taste.

Hard cider is my current favorite. The Mike's Hard line is good too. If I'm getting a mixed drink, generally it's something with a vodka base and one of two types of juice to hide it.

2 suggestions...

Apple Pie Shooter
Ingredients
1 oz. Vodka
1 oz. Apple Juice
dash(es) Cinnamon
Instructions
Pour vodka then apple juice into a shot glass. Garnish with cinnamon and mix by placing palm of one hand on the top and tipping over. Shoot.

Vicious Kiss recipe

3 oz Absolut® Citron vodka
2 dashes cherry juice
2 splashes lime juice

Pour into a cordial glass, stir gently, and serve.

Read more: Alcoholic drink recipes with Absolut Citron Vodka: 30+ appetizing drink recipes. http://www.drinksmixer.com/cat/5432/#ixzz4IVGkYIbZ

Those will get you drunk in a hurry!!!!

razorrozar

Aug 21, 2016
I don't drink much, because I don't have a lot of money right now, but of what I've tried, vodka - plain or in a screwdriver - is my drink of choice. Would love to go to more bars and try some sweeter drinks, though.

muttdoggy

Mar 23, 2016
I don't drink much, because I don't have a lot of money right now, but of what I've tried, vodka - plain or in a screwdriver - is my drink of choice. Would love to go to more bars and try some sweeter drinks, though.

It's cheaper to have parties with your friends.. bring juices, recipes, vodkas, and even infused vodkas and blend those. Use some recipes as a guideline and experiment. I used to put cinnamon red hots and a couple sticks of vanilla in the vodka and let it sit for a day or 2. I even infused scotch and rum.

Edit.. I don't drink anymore other than a growler or a scotch every now and then. But when I did, we were usually pretty creative.

Last edited by a moderator:

PyrateHyena

Oct 13, 2015
When it comes to mixed drinks I tend to go for the weird stuff. My personal favorite is rotten apple (apple cider and Guiness)

Oh god yes.

Also plain Havana Club Especial (rum) and everything Bushmills (irish whiskey) both on ice. Favourite cocktails are mojito (with rum), cuba libre (rum and cola), bloody mary (usually with vodka) and lemon drop (with vodka). I do not really have a favourite vodka, because it is real hard to get a good one in germany. I once had a decent polish vodka but I can not remember the name.

Northern German beer is great, especially Flensburger and Astra. Southern Germany has some good brews too (Schwarzer Hahn and the Kellerbier of Schlappeseppel), but I do not like most. The Störtebecker brewery (again northern Germany) has some nice variations of Hefeweizen, but I do not like the standard Hefeweizen they drink in bavaria at all. Polish and Czech beers are also great (most I have tried) and I like the Irish ones as well, although they are not my favourites.

For wine I do not like red ones, most whites are all right but Frankfurter apple wine is gold. I also like mead but only if it is not too sweet or fruity (if you add yeast you can eradicate most of the sweetness).

muttdoggy

Mar 23, 2016
Yeah... doesn't it suck when the breweries introduce seasonal brews and it's AWESOME then it's gone a month later.. Now you'd have to go hunting at the stores to find unsold stock or wait 11 months while praying they bring it back?

Or.. they have a brewer's special or a "limited time only" and it's GREAT but despite your endorsement, it's gone.. never to return! That means you've gotta try to find a similar recipe or if you're in luck, the brewery will share the recipe.

jarllee97

Jun 13, 2016
Yeah... doesn't it suck when the breweries introduce seasonal brews and it's AWESOME then it's gone a month later.. Now you'd have to go hunting at the stores to find unsold stock or wait 11 months while praying they bring it back?

Or.. they have a brewer's special or a "limited time only" and it's GREAT but despite your endorsement, it's gone.. never to return! That means you've gotta try to find a similar recipe or if you're in luck, the brewery will share the recipe.

Purple gas.

It was a special edition beer made in (I think) Saskatchewan. I'm not one for most beers, but they managed to make a beer with rhubarb and Saskatoon berries that tasted good. 

It was fucking glorious but I haven't seen it in ages. Not sure if it's still made.

Saki. Hot. Make it so. ;>

Or classic, American style stirred Martinis, made with British Tanqueray - if that makes any fuckin' sense.

Lately though, austerity leads to wont, usually filling my need to booze it up with casual acquaintances sipping on dollar store Cabernet Sauvignon or a pack of Steer And Swerve (Steel Reserve) tucked under one arm. I am a cheap lush. LOL Though, thinking about the OP's lust for things of the rum persuasion? A lady friend of mine introduced me to Kraken. Jokes aside, it's rather delicious and amazingly good even if it's not mixed with anything else. It's a sipping/shooting rum for sure - moreso than even the best top shelf rums out there.It's sneaky though, it's deliciousness hides the fact that it will eventually sneak up on you with the lemon twist wrapped gold brick and smack you out. ;)