Give ALL of the Crew Members 'Event Maps' like Ben/Bess has?

river_song25

May 12, 2016
Wouldn't it be easier to know what your different crew mates feel about you if they had their own version of Ben/Bess' Event Map icon that lets you check Ben/Bess' growing feelings/emotions/whatever as he grows?

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Wouldn't it be easier to know what your different crew mates feel about you if they had their own version of Ben/Bess' Event Map icon that lets you check Ben/Bess' growing feelings/emotions/whatever as he grows?
Aside from the absolute mess of coding that was, copying several times over would probably drive one of the coders insane, we already know how the crew members feel about Captain Steele - its near universal adoration. Each of them loves Steele.

BessN only worked because they existed in a state of tabula rasa and you shaped how they acted and whether or not they would love you. You don't have that with the other crew, you don't need it. They already think the world of you because of what you've done for them.
Amber - You treat her like a person, you give her a place to stay and you can help her with her problems.
Anno - She's a loving person anyway and the fact that you go out of your way to help her with her job cements that. You also give the best ear scritches and Ausar bitches love ear scritches.
Azra - You're also helping her with her research and you're helping her with the loss of her mate. Romantic or platonic love, its there.
Celise - You're the kid of her friend/lover, you feed her, she loves you anyway.
Grey Goo - You're taking her on an adventure, the kind she missed as a generational colonist that crashed onto Tarkus. You're also fun.
Kase - You got him out of a crappy contract and into a better one. You're also a more fun boss.
Mitzi - She loves anyone and anything. Literally. She's probably loving a seat right now.
Paige - You don't care if she was a pirate once. AND YOU BOUGHT HER NEW FUCKING EYES. She fucking adores you.
Penny - Like the grey goo, you are giving her a chance to have an amazing adventure that would have passed her by on Mhen-ga. Also potential futa dick.
Pexiga - You give her belly rubs.
Pippa - She's loving the fact that she gets to give you nuri massages.
Ramis - From her ideal romantic perspective, you're her ideal man, especially if you're a big strong man. And if you're a sissy, well, she loves that too. Either way, she gets to have fun.
Reaha - Likewise with Paige, you got her out of a shitty life and got her a chance of a new life.
Sera - Whatever way your relationship goes with her, you're giving a broken person a stable element in her life, which she admits she does need.
Shekka - You do a lot for her, from either buying the probe off her or helping her deal with her race's fertility problems, she loves you.
Yammi - And like Reaha, you get her out of a shitty life and give her the chance to do something she loves, in this case cooking.

You don't need anything to tell you how much your crew love you, its superfluous and more effort than it would be worth.

Last edited:

Xarit

Feb 19, 2019
too complicated and it would take a lot of time for all the NPCs you can pack on board. it would possibly be a good idea had the player been limited to only 1 or 2 crewmembers on each adventure but we have a big cast avaliable for partnering with so yeah, it would mean having the budget of an actual indie studio or even a AA-AAA game company to pull it off, at least at a decent lvl.

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
It's an event flag map, you just make text blurbs for whether or not a character's various code flags have been set or not. That's not exactly high level. Heck, that's already mostly in the codex.

That said, it's also fairly irrelevant. Outside of Reaha and Sera I don't think anyone really has a progressed relationship.

river_song25

May 12, 2016
No, that would be stupid.
Other than it probably taking time to code the Event Map into each character I don't see why its a stupid idea.

For one thing trying to CURRENTLY figure out your crewmates feelings for you is harder the way it currently is.

If your trying to build up their affection for you the way you are doing with Ben/Bess (with Sub Sera and Addict Reaha as another example of for needing their own Event Maps), in order to find out you have to go to the Codex and search through EVERYTHING in the Codex in order to find what you are looking for in finding out your rising relationship status for some of your crew members, and then KEEP going to the Codex to find out exactly how your relatiomship is going and if you have almost reached the level you are trying to get with that character.

Wouldn’t it be EASIER for players to have all that on the Characters pages instead, so that when you go visit them on the ship you can just click whatever the button will be called, and have the PC/Crew relationship stats pulled up INSTANTLY instead of having to hunt for it in the Codex?

A

Athena

Other than it probably taking time to code the Event Map into each character I don't see why its a stupid idea.

That said, it's also fairly irrelevant. Outside of Reaha and Sera I don't think anyone really has a progressed relationship.

There's your answer. Also, I think Sera already has text queues that make it easier to tell when you've moved to the next stage if you're paying attention, IIRC. This might also be the case with Reaha, technically, but I generally struggle to figure out how I'm doing with her rehab progress even when I'm looking at the codex...

TheDevilYouKnow

Oct 21, 2015
It's stupid because there's basically nothing to keep track of. Sera only has 3 milestones and Reaha only has 2. Bess only has an event map because she has a dick-ton of milestones.

Reactions: gena138

Shura

Apr 15, 2018
Ben/Bess only has an Event Map because they were made with one in mind. As others have pointed out, there's really no point in doing that for your other crew members because the whole reason they joined your crew was because you did something to help them (unless you enslaved Sera, in which case you do sorta have to earn it already).

As for just putting a percentage bar, unless someone feels like writing a special scene/event/etc, there's no point to that either besides aesthetic for completionists.

I think if you want more characters like Ben/Bess, you're going to have to either write one or commission someone to because nothing will change with existing characters unless, again, someone wants to expand on them.

Besides, it's not like event maps are even that necessary; we have some non-crew NPCs with whom you build a relationship with dating sim-style (e.g. Fisianna, Mirrin, dom Sera).

In any case, tl;dr I'm all for more Ben/Bess type characters, but trying to shoehorn that system onto other existing crew is pretty pointless right now because they have no reason or special scenes to warrant it.

That reminds me, I really would like to see a continuation of Ben/Bess' story, but doesn't seem like anyone's picking up where JimThermal left off anytime soon (and as much as I'd love to, I have neither the time nor the confidence to handle that; Imma wait till I get a few things out before I even consider it).

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Honestly, I doubt we'll ever see an expansion for BessN, just because of how much of a mess they are. I mean, from what I understand, they are pretty much a Gordian knot of coding, what with all the events and mapping them. Its something nobody wants to touch with a ten foot barge pole. I'd almost say they'd be better off taking BessN out of the game and completely rework the character, but frankly, that's easier said than done and that's a lot of work for one character.

Shura

Apr 15, 2018
Honestly, I doubt we'll ever see an expansion for BessN, just because of how much of a mess they are. I mean, from what I understand, they are pretty much a Gordian knot of coding, what with all the events and mapping them. Its something nobody wants to touch with a ten foot barge pole. I'd almost say they'd be better off taking BessN out of the game and completely rework the character, but frankly, that's easier said than done and that's a lot of work for one character.

Personally, I think if we take things linearly from the very last point, it’s probably do-able. Mostly, I just want a conclusion past them being freaked out and deciding to lay low and stuff. And as much as I’d love an “Android Rights” movement to be written in, that might be a little too upscale TiTS: Become Human, anyone? ;y. Maybe just a short final event where BessN contemplates their state of personhood and you get the option to encourage or discourage, and maybe introduce them to Gianna if PC also encouraged her personhood state?

Just a couple ragtag ideas in my head. Mostly just want a little more closure since the last event we had was a semi-cliffhanger (because it ended on a somewhat low note).

But in any case, I think just adding one more scene would be good enough for me.

Shura

Apr 15, 2018
Literally nobody on the writing team will ever touch that pile of shit.

Understandable.

I’ll just have to finish my little projects (and then my bigger one) then. Maybe I’ll try my hand if I’m feeling masochistic.