Gimme the keys

Galgano

Aug 28, 2015
How do you drive a spaceship? I mean, what starts it up and allows you to go from planet to planet? Are they like space cars and we just turn the space key to start the space car? Or is it more of a biometric system that only starts up when the owner is sitting in the captain's chair (they can still move around the ship, they would just need to be in the seat to start it)? Or is there something else? Something I overlooked? A piece of text that explained how they worked.

Mister Gregar

Dec 8, 2016
The captains seat has a stick-shift-like feature called the "Captain's Log". You sit on that and then bounce around a bit to get the ship fired up. Clench to steer, and ride it wherever you need to go.

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
I would assume it functions much similarly to an aircraft, though I imagine actual keys are outdated in TiTS, but we do know ships can be stolen. I may have missed it if mentioned a key or whatever when Kiro stole The Blade.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
I don't think there are actual keys. Closest thing to security I can recall is that the PC has a keypad to open the door from the outside.

As far as driving the thing, everything about the PC's og ship indicates that it's a flying space winnebago

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
That said, the best description we get of the Casstech being a space camper van comes from Sera, who is hardly the best person to offer friendly....anything...

I doubt that anyone can just hop into a space craft and fly it about, especially one that's in dock. There'd probably be lists of flight checks like modern aircraft.

But I would imagine that a number of the main systems would be under the control of the ship's computer. Plot a course and let the computer do the hard work while you go back and talk with your crew. The physical controls probably wouldn't be sticks or the like, probably a hardlight system that pops up as need and cuts down on space taken up by controls.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
I'm pretty sure that a number of the devs have explicitly compared the Casstech to the main vehicle used in Space Balls.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Well thats even better!

Mister Gregar

Dec 8, 2016
The physical controls probably wouldn't be sticks or the like, probably a hardlight system that pops up as need and cuts down on space taken up by controls.

In all seriousness, idk about this bit. Holographic with sensors, maybe, a readout on a touch screen more likely, but Hardlight? Most of the more intricate uses of hardlight seem to be currently evolving tech in-universe. Normal consumer products seem to use them as sex toys or weapons, not precision equipment (even if I really wish you could use a hardlight cannon and gun your enemies down green lantern style. Seriously, you can wear hardlight vibrators and use a hardlight blade, but no hardlight bullets?) Unless you had some super fancy cutting edge rich person cruiser, I doubt you'd have hardlight controls.

Your cousin probably has hardlight controls. Jack/Jill was here, [x] Steele is a loser. Smell ya later.

(the setup for that punchline was way too long, and the punchline itself was weak. I am sorry, and ashamed of my own incompetence. i'll go and commit sudoku with a spoon now)

Reactions: Evil

Evil

Jul 18, 2017

Also, it turns out that Steele has to complete a suduko in order to start up the ship. Which is fine because it takes so long, it lets the engines warm up properly.

Reactions: Mister Gregar

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
In all seriousness, idk about this bit. Holographic with sensors, maybe, a readout on a touch screen more likely, but Hardlight? Most of the more intricate uses of hardlight seem to be currently evolving tech in-universe. Normal consumer products seem to use them as sex toys or weapons, not precision equipment (even if I really wish you could use a hardlight cannon and gun your enemies down green lantern style. Seriously, you can wear hardlight vibrators and use a hardlight blade, but no hardlight bullets?) Unless you had some super fancy cutting edge rich person cruiser, I doubt you'd have hardlight controls.

Your cousin probably has hardlight controls. Jack/Jill was here, [x] Steele is a loser. Smell ya later.

(the setup for that punchline was way too long, and the punchline itself was weak. I am sorry, and ashamed of my own incompetence. i'll go and commit sudoku with a spoon now)
I think it has to do with projectors, power, wholeness, and range. Obviously there's no issue having a container of molten metal (Salamander Sword) when the light and the projectors are close to each other but bullets push that beyond feasibilty. Maybe if you were firing miniature projectors for bullets, but at that point you may as well have a traditional slug thrower. Also, about "wholeness" (lack of better term) it's how everything should be one single piece else the complexity of moving parts and projectors increases. For individual hand controls, which admittedly don't have to be super complex it shouldn't be too hard to pilot a ship manually using hardlight instead of holo.