Giant icon in the Windows audio mixer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ensembien

Jul 27, 2023
Happened somewhere after version 0.9.69. The icon in the Windows audio mixer is huge and covers the volume slider so you have to guess-click or use Tab to be able to focus it and change the volume. It's not even an icon, but a huge image. I know you guys don't use any audio in the game, but I do use a text-to-speech reader. Attached are two screenshots: "ta.png" is how it looks when I open the mixer with the game window focused, and "tb.png" is how it looks when I open the mixer with the game's Developer Tools window focused.

JavaScript code to make the mixer show the game icon:
Code:
speechSynthesis.speak(new SpeechSynthesisUtterance("hi"))

Attachments

• ta.png
    ta.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 9
  • tb.png
    tb.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

lowercase_donkey

Scientist
Apr 27, 2016
The team is aware of this and looking into possibilities. Looks like we gotta work around windows being weird.

ensembien

Jul 27, 2023
I'd use ICO format instead of PNG on Windows. This would fix both the size in the mixer and the broken rendering in the taskbar/mixer where almost all of the icon is black. In other words, use an ICO icon for the exe instead of the current PNG one, and don't call win.setIcon() in function createWindow in main.js if the platform is Windows (process.platform === "win32"). Alternatively, on Windows pass win.setIcon() an ICO file instead of a PNG one.

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
There is an .ico file that I had made that should be being used by the Electron build of the game, I think (it is set as the icon parameter in createWindow()). Otherwise, the only other connection to the icon files would be the .png via the HTML link tags in the index's header.

ensembien

Jul 27, 2023
Yeah, either the exe icon or the one in the setIcon() call will do. The icons in the HTML aren't used by electron, they're used by browser as a favicon. I just deleted the icon from the exe and commented out the setIcon() call in main.js, and got the default icon in Explorer, the mixer, and the Alt+Tab window, and the taskbar uses the default "no association" icon.

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
Yeah, either the exe icon or the one in the setIcon() call will do. The icons in the HTML aren't used by electron, they're used by browser as a favicon. I just deleted the icon from the exe and commented out the setIcon() call in main.js, and got the default icon in Explorer, the mixer, and the Alt+Tab window, and the taskbar uses the default "no association" icon.
Alright, I replaced the linked .png with the .ico file for setIcon(). I can't really test this on my end, but hopefully it will be fixed for the next release.

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
This may change again for the next release as that edit I made broke builds for Mac and Linux (they couldn't recognizing the .ico file since it wasn't the exact kind of .ico file they could read, or something to that effect)--Gedan has a solution implemented, but again, I can't really test on my end to make sure. So if the issue arises again, just make note. Hopefully it is fixed for all versions though.

ensembien

Jul 27, 2023
Yeah, that's why I said "on Windows" several times. Maybe we should just leave the game as it is, and I'll fix this on my end. I'm patching the game anyway, so editing one more line won't make any difference for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.