Gastigoth indentured servitor buyout

Lux

Oct 2, 2017
So I just came back to TiTS some weeks ago, got the public build, did this and that, and ran into Gastigoth. It made me slightly uncomfortable, but if anything I like it when stuff nudges me out of my comfort zone, those experiences are often still nice in their own way, and typically always valuable in one form or another.

But unsurprisingly it felt quite incomplete, since well, it is. And then there are some I'd think valid concerns with the whole breeding with prisoners spiel, like the missing parent, brought up in this thread: https://forum.fenoxo.com/threads/gastigoth-made-me-feel-uncomfortable.10727/
I don't think the darkness of Gastigoth needs to be changed away though. Sure, it's somewhat gruesome, but it is what it is.
The one thing I've been thinking about though, wouldn't it be possible to buy up the contracts of prisoners under X circumstances and for Y credits? That way the player can take the darkness of Gastigoth and shine at least some light into it.
I mean we can already do that with Sera, and considering the nature of Gastigoth it doesn't seem farfetched to me, as long as the circumstances involve some sort of measure to keep the prisoners harmless even while in the possession of Steele.

Anyway, this idea got stuck in my head and now I feel strongly compelled to make this thread, and it has 2 purposes.
1. Gauge if anything reasonably similar to this is planned by someone already, which would make me drop this idea, or potentially switching to contributing stuff there. Of course I wasn't a lazy ass and did my research to the best of my abilities which brought the thread mentioned above as the main source of information up.

Specifically these quotes would imply that quite a bit of Gastigoth stuff is still open:
Hey Savin, just two questions (that probably have been answered a billion times before
-Will it be possible to buy Khorgan/Kaska/Tamtam and possibly others you've sent to Gastigoth? After all the justice system in TiTS mainly cares about two things: money and public safety. The former is easy, the latter shouldn't be difficult either with Khorgan at least, as her race turns submissive once bested in battle.
I want to have Khorgan follower at some point. Don't know if it'll be prison-related. Don't know about the other two: somebody can always write 'em I guess.

Assuming that nothing so specific is planned yet brings us to the second point of this thread.
2. Gauge the community response and take on this, and decide whether I might actually go through with this. I'm aware that if I were to actually write for this, hell even just the base requirements and 1 or 2 of the characters, that'd be QUITE a bit of work.
Or, to quote Magic Ted, if I'm just gonna flake out after all.
That being said, it would be far from the first time for me to get my ideas into a game, so who knows, maybe this'll be the next game and mechanic I'll do work for.

Now that I got the (un)pleasantries out of the way, here's what comes to mind that I think would have to be done.

To start on this mechanic there needs to be a dialogue option to start broaching this subject. For instance talking to Warden Kasmiran about the contracts and the possibility to buy them out, prompting an adequate reaction and explanation from her.
Gameplay-wise the conditions need to be implemented. For sake of example let's say the conditions are you get said prisoner pregnant and they're willing to sign an especially restrictive indentured servitude contract with the PC after which you can approach [something/someone] to start negotiating the buyout.
Once the prisoner is transferred to your ship as an indentured servitor there need to be adequate follower mechanics. I'm thinking of taking inspiration from Sera, but obviously with some twists.

I could imagine this to look like this in the game: You finish the Stellar Tether quest, send Tamtam&co to Gastigoth, you get the message and head there.
You talk to the warden about the place, broach the subject of [Parents?] as a problem to breeding with the prisoners to which you only get a dismissive reply that you could just lie to the children.
You can opt to prompt her about a [Buyout] which will make her ponder about it, coming to the conclusion that in case of pregnancy, with the right amount of money and some precautions that might be arranged.
After successfully impregnating Tamtam you get a message about that after which you can buy her as an indentured servitor for X credits, maybe 30k or so. Say... she gets equipped with a collar that tethers her to your ship, can punish her when necessary and maybe also forces her to build an especially strong bond with her children, all to keep her in check and away from further crime.
She get's her own side mission log and obedience system. I'd say unlike Sera it starts at 50% though, causing a bad end at 0%. At 100% you can lock her obedience with an adequate scene. Sprinkle in some more scenes and interactions and whatnot, including the children. Also you could give her Tam-Wolf back if you still have it to get a headstart on her obedience.

So... this already seems like a small wall of text. But I think that's about it.
Any comments or further ideas? Don't spare me the mocking either if you think it's in order.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Night Trap's already written stuff for getting Sam out of prison and onto the crew. I've written like a page about Khorgan doing the same. Kaska and Tam are still up for grabs, though.

Reactions: Lux

Amakawa Yuuto

Sep 6, 2015
Berlin
I've written like a page about Khorgan doing the same.
Yessss.
The fact that I'm not really into muscular girls dwarves next to my fetish for female fighters that are as ridiculously strong (not necessarily in a literal sense) as they are loyal.

Khorgan with her "To the victor go the spoils, you won, I am the spoils, I'm only staying in prison because you told me to, but I wait for the time you tell me to crush your enemies and make strong babies" attitude hits so many buttons.

In two words: I approve.

(Not that you'd need my approval, but you get it either way.)

Lux

Oct 2, 2017
Night Trap's already written stuff for getting Sam out of prison and onto the crew.
Valuable piece of information, since Sam was the only other prisoner I was interested in. Also managed to find his thread mentioning that and it does talk about release into the players custody as well, so for now I'm going to assume he has similar mechanics planned too so I'll drop thinking about those.

That leaves me with the question whether I'll commit to writing follower stuff for Tam, leaving the acquiring part open and waiting for Night Trap's take on that. With all that in mind I'm going to return to some research on Tam. Though in-game I'm seeing you wrote the in-prison scene for Tam-Tam, and the Wiki tells me you created her, that correct?
If so I'd humbly request some pointers or information on how to keep it canon, or if what's in the game is all the pointers I need and get.

Last edited:

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Though in-game I'm seeing you wrote the in-prison scene for Tam-Tam, and the Wiki tells me you created her, that correct?
If so I'd humbly request some pointers or information on how to keep it canon, or if what's in the game is all the pointers I need and get.

Yeah, I made her. What's in-game is all I got for her.

Night Trap

Scientist
Creator
Oct 31, 2016
On paper the prisoners aren't indentured servants. Technically you're just paying for a license to hold a prisoner yourself, plus a "transferal" fee for each prisoner and the Carver Consolidated Pacification Device (a remote controlled collar that dispenses various drugs instead of electric shocks) that they come equipped with. So, officially, they're still prisoners serving their sentence, but you're their new jailer.

Lux

Oct 2, 2017
Good to know, than I have everything I need to make an actual plan. Will be reworking the initial post once I get to it.

Chiyose

Sep 22, 2017
Night Trap's already written stuff for getting Sam out of prison and onto the crew. I've written like a page about Khorgan doing the same. Kaska and Tam are still up for grabs, though.
Sam can be added to the crew? I'm looking forward to this.