Frost Marches Map Overlap Problem, and World Map please?

HIMEROSY

Feb 18, 2019
Firstly, I made a [0.1.9] Frost Marches map (with images nicely compiled by Tamsee). However in order to make it work I had to modify some distances, because otherwise they overlap. I was wondering about people's thoughts on this, and whether it should be amended in future.

Simple Overlay with overlapping problem:
6MU17Ud.png

My "corrected" version:
zxzBacO.png

Secondly, I know I'd really love a world map for Savarra, even though the story looks like it will either take place exclusively in the Frost Marches or at least mostly in them. Seriously if Savin or any other senior writer reads this: I, and I'm sure others here would really appreciate even something like a doodled world map taken on a phone camera, the fans could do the rest and make it look pretty/figure out details. I'm particularly curious about where Jassira is in relation to the Frost Marches, how big the Frost Marches is, and any other landmasses there are, even if we never see them.

Reactions: Drash

BubbleLord

Scientist
Creator
Jun 24, 2016
The reason they overlap is because you're using in-game demonstration and acting as if they lead directly to one another -- if you read the scene descriptions, most of them move distance away. In reality, none of the areas currently overlap based on a map that was shared in Discord (made using colored grids) 5ever ago. If people go onto Discord I'm sure it wouldn't take them any time at all to find it. As for the world, pretty sure it's similar or directly using the one from Sav&D or one of the games? Been a bit since the topic came up.

Don't overthink it.

Reactions: HIMEROSY

Tamsee

Mar 2, 2018
To begin with, I want to say thank you for doing such great work on the maps! The way it looks now is so neat that I wouldn't have guessed at first something got altered. In any event of the team adding another zone branching out from Hawkethorne and it becoming too much of a jungle, one idea would be to separate Hawkethorne square and the entrances to it, joining them with a dotted line. This way one could place the regions as far away as they like.

Reactions: HIMEROSY

HIMEROSY

Feb 18, 2019
The reason they overlap is because you're using in-game demonstration and acting as if they lead directly to one another -- if you read the scene descriptions, most of them move distance away. In reality, none of the areas currently overlap based on a map that was shared in Discord (made using colored grids) 5ever ago. If people go onto Discord I'm sure it wouldn't take them any time at all to find it. As for the world, pretty sure it's similar or directly using the one from Sav&D or one of the games? Been a bit since the topic came up.

Don't overthink it.

Fair points, I'd love to see that discord map if anyone has it, as well as finding out if this Sav&D is also similar or the same

To begin with, I want to say thank you for doing such great work on the maps! The way it looks now is so neat that I wouldn't have guessed at first something got altered. In any event of the team adding another zone branching out from Hawkethorne and it becoming too much of a jungle, one idea would be to separate Hawkethorne square and the entrances to it, joining them with a dotted line. This way one could place the regions as far away as they like.

Glad you like it, your compiled pictures made everything easy enough for me to bother making it tbh lol. And yeah I'm sure this map's usefulness will expire within a patch or two, just though it would still have some utility.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Yeah, as Bubble said, each region is actually some distance away from the last; they aren't meant to be overlaid quite like that. :p Having said that, though, cool stuff!

There's a map of the Frost Marches as a whole (obviously, it's a draft and VERY subject to changes as we go), but not one of the world at large; doesn't really need to be for our purposes. Jassira is somewhere to the southeast of the Marches, and across a sea as well. The Belharran heartland is directly south of the Marches. Tychris, the salamander city, is maybe 30 miles or so to the southwest. As far as I'm aware, those are the only other nations that have really been mentioned.

upload_2019-2-24_12-10-54.png

Reactions: Alypia and HIMEROSY