FluxBorn - Alpha 0.2.0.23

FluidFlux

Dec 1, 2015
What is FluxBorn

FluxBorn is a text based erotic role playing game set in a present day earth, but spanning multiple worlds. Transformation, Sex, Violence, and Exploration are the driving themes in the game. This started as a way for me to learn programming a couple years ago, and was inspired by CoC and other similar games. The concept of the game itself is heavily influenced by the idea of biological transformations in a Galaxy gone mad. The main character of the story starts out in a semi normal life on earth and is catapulted into center stage of a war between two godlike forces. With no way to avoid the conflict, they must learn to adapt, evolve and make a stand. Alien races, mystical powers and strange new worlds await them on their travels.

The game engine was created by me and currently is undergoing several upgrades to improve the ease of adding content. I am also finishing up the scene designer executable that allows hotkey and button interfaces for adding parser calls and nesting conditions into paragraphs.

Down the line I plan on finishing and enabling the crafting system and a couple other time sync features. All in all its an alpha, and by no means complete, but the technical hurdles have been mostly overcome as I picked up the language, and its down to streamlining, adding the needed features and then making the transformation system and combat more robust. I at one point tried migrating to Unity or JavaScript, but that was a nightmare I wont soon forget. Sticking with C# WPF for the foreseeable future, its the language I learned on, and the one I still love despite being forced to use many others for work.

Links:

FluxBorn Blog - The most current information and links to the alpha.

Bug Tracking - Please post bugs in the public Git repository I created for this.

Snippets of game lore

The Flames of Candus - Two Thousand years ago:

Near the end of the Order/Chaos wars two millennia ago, a plague was unleashed across several worlds that saw heavy fighting. The first world to see the effects of the plague was Candus, a small outpost of the Torin'Vir, a race of Felinoid Bipeds. The first impact of the bio agent was a slow reduction in impulse control, causing considerable chaos on the battlefield as soldiers started back talking superiors, and pulling the trigger without orders. As the effects started to become more pronounced, those affected admitted to a marked increase in libido, leading to several incidents of rape, and cases of soldiers capturing enemy combatants only to rape them and leave them for dead as they wandered away in a post coital haze.
The situation devolved from there, as combatants from multiple fronts started forming roving bands, gathering slaves as they went, until a month after the first effects were felt, the world was a mass grave. The Flames of Candus as it was called raised the victim’s libido and metabolism until the orgy of sex and violence left nothing alive on the planet. Several more planets were destroyed by the plague, until a consensus was reached among all sides of the conflict to glass any world or ship exhibiting signs of the subtle plague. After the end of the war, and despite decades of research, no sign of the actual viral element of the plague were ever found, leaving only confusion and devastation as its legacy.

Present day:

With the awakening of the World Way's, The Flame of Candus has re-awoken, subtler than before, but every bit as fearsome and already present in small pockets on many habited planets. The vector of infection has yet to be pinpointed, and the effects are slower to onset, making it near impossible to institute effective quarantine procedures. And at the same time, there have been no reported deaths attributed to the plague itself this time around, though effects on the libido haven't changed.

Currently Planned Fetishes:

• Transformation
  • Exhibitionism
  • Masochism
  • Sadism
  • Bondage
  • Furry
  • Futa
  • Mind Control
  • Preg
  • Hyper

Currently Planned Features:

• Crafting
  • Companions
  • Player driven outposts
  • Expanded and in depth combat dynamics

Current existing Features:

• Base transformation
  • Simple combat
  • Movement and events
  • NPC interactions
  • About ten rooms in the starting zone complete (Yay Alpha!)

Thanks!
FluidFlux

Last edited by a moderator:

FluidFlux

Dec 1, 2015
Well I feel stupid, I posted the wrong build and you couldn't create a character. Should be fixed and available with a working build... Working as an Alpha anyways.

karunama

Apr 17, 2016
Interesting so far, and I like your writing style.  I'll be keeping an eye out to see how this develops.

Lielixthe

Apr 16, 2016
Is there a way to switch off/change the background? Personally find it a bit difficult to read the text with the current background. 

FluidFlux

Dec 1, 2015
well I made my character and have no idea what to do or the controls

I will write up a quick guide to how the controls work, I know its different than a lot of games out there.

Is there a way to switch off/change the background? Personally find it a bit difficult to read the text with the current background. 

Sure, I will add a TODO for the next build to have a button to turn off and on the background image.

ryuyousuke

Feb 10, 2016
How can you control in this game? I push every buttons I think I can push and still nothing happen, can you just give it a quick short guide here?

FluidFlux

Dec 1, 2015
How can you control in this game? I push every buttons I think I can push and still nothing happen, can you just give it a quick short guide here?

See the attached screenshot. I havnt included keyboard control yet for directions and event choices though I plan on it. Everything is currently mouse control, and items in inventory and such are right click to get the context menu.

In the newest build I updated it to add a button above the text window to switch to a new background that should be much easier to see with. Let me know if that's enough or if it needs to be fully dark.

Capture.jpg

lightningshifter

Aug 27, 2015
Well, seeing as how you don't have much content storywise yet it doesn't take you very far. There's also no means of examining your character that I could tell. Transformation style games usually provide some manner of referencing your physical description so you can see how your character has changed and what they currently look like. Also, I can tell the combat is placeholder because once you get to the end of current content and try to go to the spot that spawns enemies you will find that you can't do more than 1 dmg to them and they don't actually take damage. You do though, however the game doesn't end when you run out of hp and you can't flee from combat. So I'd say its still a ways to go yet.

Lielixthe

Apr 16, 2016
See the attached screenshot. I havnt included keyboard control yet for directions and event choices though I plan on it. Everything is currently mouse control, and items in inventory and such are right click to get the context menu.

In the newest build I updated it to add a button above the text window to switch to a new background that should be much easier to see with. Let me know if that's enough or if it needs to be fully dark.

View attachment 3804

That's fast. Yes the text's much easier to read now! :)

I seem to be encountering a bug of sorts. After encountering my first enemy my game suddenly refuses to save. Nothing happens when I click "Save Game"; in-game actions continue to work and I can continue to play. But if I spam click save/load game the application freezes. Might just be my system being on its deathbed though, I'll be getting a new PC over the weekend.

Also: typo found

"But please hurry and fine those drugs "

FluidFlux

Dec 1, 2015
Well, seeing as how you don't have much content storywise yet it doesn't take you very far. There's also no means of examining your character that I could tell. Transformation style games usually provide some manner of referencing your physical description so you can see how your character has changed and what they currently look like. Also, I can tell the combat is placeholder because once you get to the end of current content and try to go to the spot that spawns enemies you will find that you can't do more than 1 dmg to them and they don't actually take damage. You do though, however the game doesn't end when you run out of hp and you can't flee from combat. So I'd say its still a ways to go yet.

Totally spaced that I disabled the physical description button when I changed the UI layout. I will have it back in the next build, and am currently working hard to update the Parser and description library to be more easily written for. Right now the parse just reads the parameters under the player, IE hair length, eyecolor etc. I am changing it to a method for each parser call that calculates and sends back a more formatted response. IE "Your {{HairLength}} hair is drenched in.." would currently just return the numerical length of the players hair by looking directly at the parameter. It's an easy but time consuming change to make each of these {{HairColor}}, {{FirstCockDescriptionLong}}, {{FirstCockWidth}} Etc to look at the variable and then return them in a more writer friendly manner. I hope to have this done by tomorrow evening as again the current system did a lot of this, but was clunky.

As for Combat, that is as you mentioned, a placeholder. Though a lot of the mechanics are there, they just haven't been turned on or completed. Right now I still need to work on the "Bad Ends" system for combat, as not all combat would end in death, though some may end in bad ends. Weapons exist and change damage, but arnt looking at all weapon modifiers etc. So a lot of work to do, but the light at the end of the tunnel exists.

That's fast. Yes the text's much easier to read now! :)

I seem to be encountering a bug of sorts. After encountering my first enemy my game suddenly refuses to save. Nothing happens when I click "Save Game"; in-game actions continue to work and I can continue to play. But if I spam click save/load game the application freezes. Might just be my system being on its deathbed though, I'll be getting a new PC over the weekend.

Also: typo found

"But please hurry and fine those drugs "

Typo will be fixed in new build. As for the save issue, yeah that's something I should include in the new game tutorial and more visible in game. I locked out game saves in all but "Safe" rooms to avoid saves in the middle of a dialog or some such that could break saves. I'm trying to clean up code in a way to prevent the need for this in the future, but for now saves only happen in safe rooms that I will do a better job of changing to notify the player.

FluidFlux

Dec 1, 2015
So in working on updating the parser engine to make writing scene's more simple I've decided that Parsers are mind numbing. But in the end I would rather slog through and make it robust and easily upgradable now rather than suffer through the tedium of trying to write large scenes with a sub par parser.

In other news, I think builds will probably come out every other day for a while given the amount of easily completed systems that are on the block. Once the easier sub systems are out of the way it may go to a weekly cadence as I finish the bigger sub systems up and move on to more content.

Todays ChangeLog:

• Updated text color for better visibility.
  • ◦Updated starting window to give option for loading of saved game
  • ◦Updated the Player Parser to support more robust parser calls in future, and easily added custom calls. (More upgrades still in progress)◾

IE I can now have a call like "The spry little Torin'Vir woman yanks hard on your {hairlength} {haircolor} hair{healthdrop 2}, bringing a tear to your eyes.", which would come out as "The spry little Torin'Vir woman yanks hard on your shoulder length black hair, bringing a tear to your eye." and you would lose two health.

[*]◦Added an Appearance button to allow users to view the very bare bones character description. This is something I plan on working heavily on as I move along. I personally believe that what your character looks like is half the draw of this kind of game.

FluidFlux

karunama

Apr 17, 2016
Very ambitious turnaround schedule, but awesome if you can stick with it.

FluidFlux

Dec 1, 2015
Very ambitious turnaround schedule, but awesome if you can stick with it.

Yeah, that's a true statement. Though I tend to have a lot of free time until late October to work on things. And again I've got so many of them half finished or the outlines mapped out. Now content is going to be another matter, as I doubt I can churn out amazing writing at the speed some of the people around here do.

FluidFlux

Dec 1, 2015
I should have a combat build update out tonight, but in the meantime I have a poll on my blog, and was wondering if anyone was able to actually post comments there or if the Blog is broken.

karunama

Apr 17, 2016
I voted and commented on the poll.  Seemed like the commenting was working normally.

FluidFlux

Dec 1, 2015
I voted and commented on the poll.  Seemed like the commenting was working normally.

Ohh sorry! I was wondering if you could comment on the Blog post itself, not the poll. My bad.

New Build on my blog

ChangeLog:

• Updated Combat to allow defeat and victory conditions, current NPC's just take off your underwear and stach them in your inventory. This was just a test, I will write up a couple NPC defeat and victory options soon. Though given that these NPC's will only ever be found in the game start zone I wont go overboard.
  • Updated Rooms and Tiles to be broken up based on region for easier management
  • Updated NPC's and events to be region based as well.
  • Fixed NPC damage calls to use NPC stats and an ACTUAL Random number.