Flight should have useable by the player the same way Tail whack is

Drakani

Jul 15, 2020
The combat move flight can't be used by the player character despite there being ways to get wings. I think you should get flight sort of the same way you get tail whack: after getting wings by transformation.

Shrike675

Apr 8, 2021
Transformation based powers or perks is specifically not gonna be a thing in this game, as to not encourage min maxing what you should look like to get the best benefits in combat.

Bast

Aug 12, 2021
They're nice to have as fluff content for roleplay and immersion. Just keep Tail Whack as bad of a skill that it is and there shouldn't be any problems.

Zavos

May 7, 2016
To my knowledge that was the origional plan, but these fluff skills were not really iterated with, and now there are complaints about Flight so Tail Whack is the least awkward way to deal with it.

Kyubi Xiaolong

Jul 17, 2022
The combat move flight can't be used by the player character despite there being ways to get wings. I think you should get flight sort of the same way you get tail whack: after getting wings by transformation.
flight is a broken stance in my personal opinion where as tail whack.... is not all that good.... maybe add a map speed bonus for having wings or negate terrain penalties if you have wings or ability to move several squares at once

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
Both of those would be providing gameplay incentives for a (non-soulbinding) TF which isn't the kind of things the devs want to encourage, even if it's just some kind of numbers game for 'what's the absolute shortest in-game time it takes to reach [X]?' and not a combat advantage.

GEESE

Sep 27, 2018
The TF meta is not coming back, stop begging for things that create a TF meta.

Puddle

Jul 28, 2022
What about adding a Tome of Flight that allows non bewinged PCs to conjure up the necessary appendages out of magic?
And then you get a different flavour text depending on whether you have real wings or not.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
I would not hold my breath for that. 'Wings that aren't part of the normal Appearance code but must be specially tagged and have different flavor text than the wings that you can actually get via TFs' would be a lot of work for no benefit.

Murloc Mazta

Apr 20, 2022
We're probably going to cut Tail Whack, not the other way around.
I admit that I'd miss Tail Whack (even if it's garbage) since I liked putting it on with Prime Target, Dominance, and Tackle as a silly little 'beat them up and turn them on' build, but I can understand and agree with the "no non-soulbind racial abilities" mentality.

Kyubi Xiaolong

Jul 17, 2022
tail whack would be better if it made use of every tail (if you go kitsune) but still deals the same damage, just the description on whats happening changes

AStrangeGeek

Jul 14, 2022
Eh, I dunno, maybe keep Tail Whack for TF flavor but nerf it? Seems kind of a shame not to be able to use things that a TF would give you. Though having read up in the history of this, I get where the devs don't want to create min-max character builds (never played the original CoC so I have only other people's comments to go by on this topic).

Drakani

Jul 15, 2020
if flight was cut it would be fine, but keep Tail whack even if it's garbage

Reactions: Bast

Drakani

Jul 15, 2020
Eh, I dunno, maybe keep Tail Whack for TF flavor but nerf it? Seems kind of a shame not to be able to use things that a TF would give you. Though having read up in the history of this, I get where the devs don't want to create min-max character builds (never played the original CoC so I have only other people's comments to go by on this topic).
tail whack is not that powerful

TooManyTeeth

Oct 22, 2021
This is probably a little annoying of me but... reading this thread has made me feel a passionate need to share my opinion lol. Please allow me a brief moment to advocate for TF powers: Using your physical characteristics in combat makes the character-creating experience feel more complete, and if some people are so caught up with winning that they put combat efficiency before pursuing a fun RP then that's their problem — not the game's. Speaking from my own experiences, I really enjoyed my sharky character in CoC1 getting to use bite even when an event disarmed her. In fact, that's almost certainly my most treasured memory from that game. If something truly must be done, then I'd much rather see TF-related abilities nerfed into highly niche options than removed altogether.

Shrike675

Apr 8, 2021
And thus, wings gave only the player character negative stat penalties and triple weakness against ranged weapons, which every enemy now carries and only lumia's soulbind would reduce it to double weakness and there'd be no way to negate said penalties entirely.