Feature Request - Perk Training

Yay or Nay?

• Total voters
K

KitsuneAnon

I play a Thief and I've had fun with Eye For Weakness, but I wanted to give dodge tanking a chance with Perfect Positioning. I went to Garth to change my level 7 perk but there was no option to do that. Instead, I had to change to another class and then retrain as a Thief to change my perk. In my opinion, this is an oversight introduced by branching perks and I'd like it if there was a simpler way to change our perks.

My feature request is to give all NPC class trainers a new service - Change Perk. Give these NPCs some gold and let us reselect our perks. This will be a nice QoL service especially if level 9 perks are branching as well.

To take things a few steps further, I'd like it also if this service lets us change our level 3, 5. and 7 perks as well from other classes.
For example, suppose I am a supportive/buffing White Mage that hit level 7 and I need to select a perk. Righteous Fury isn't appealing since none of my powers do damage and my crit chance is low so Overflowing Health isn't doing much for me either. After choosing either one, I go to River who, for a fee, trains me to use Expert Inspiration, a Charmer level 7 perk, which replaces my WM level 7 perk. Now I have a perk that fits my playstyle better than before!

The same thing applies to level 3 and 5 perks - a Warrior who levels Presence instead of Toughness could change Iron Will in for Commanding Presence and get the same mental resistance bonus or a Thief who doesn't rely on crits can change their resting level 3 perk from Sharpen Blades to Armorer for more armor penetration.

The two immediate concerns I'd imagine are the following:
If I can change all my perks, then what would be the purpose of the Change Class service?
Change Class will be the only way to change your level 1 perk and what the game determines your real class is for the purpose of learning powers through level ups and dialogue in events. So even if I'm a Warrior who has BM perks for level 3, 5, and 7 the game will still consider me a Warrior. The Change Class feature can also serve as a full class reset so for example, if you use Change Class to become a WM then all your perks will default to WM regardless of any perk changes you've made before. In this sense, the Change Class service wouldn't change much at all but still be a service we use.

Couldn't this break the balance of the game?
Maybe, but unlikely imo. There will definitely be some builds with strong synergy like with the example of a supportive WM who gets Expert Inspiration. The funny bit is that this combo already exists in game with Etheryn's Queen set. In this set, she has Healing Hands (WM), Escape Artist (Thief), and Expert Inspiration (Charmer) - three different perks from three different classes! However, I believe the general opinion of this set is that it's good but not game breaking. Cait and Arona also have mixed class perks that have good synergy for their spellblades sets which again are strong but not game breaking. So while there'll definitely be strong combos that arise from perk changing as we've with existing companion sets, I don't believe that we will see any game breaking builds.

And finally, the main reason I think a Change Perk service would be great for the game is that it would be fun! Like imagine if CoC2 had powers locked to class, then we would have much less build diversity which means much less fun. By letting us change perks around, your increasing build diversity which increases fun with builds. The math adds up :)

K

KitsuneAnon

Happy to hear that! If you don't mind, what are your thoughts on the perk changing idea? Will my dreams of being a leadership Warrior with Powerful Binding just be that - dreams?

Anonymous Bat

Feb 16, 2023
For example, suppose I am a supportive/buffing White Mage that hit level 7 and I need to select a perk. Righteous Fury isn't appealing since none of my powers do damage and my crit chance is low so Overflowing Health isn't doing much for me either.
Tank/buff dispenser White Mage is one of my favorite go-to builds, so that's a very relatable scenario.

Boshe

Apr 4, 2022
Happy to hear that! If you don't mind, what are your thoughts on the perk changing idea? Will my dreams of being a leadership Warrior with Powerful Binding just be that - dreams?
the idea is cool, but honestly I'd rather see content being coded in, not something that could be easily replicated with console commands

K

KitsuneAnon

Thanks for the response! That's fair, as they say, don't fix something that isn't broken.
Instead, I'll try what Boshe suggested in using console commands. The heart wants what the heart wants! (And right now it wants to try a black mage crit healer with Overflowing Health lol)

C

CuriousStorge

Thanks for the response! That's fair, as they say, don't fix something that isn't broken.
Instead, I'll try what Boshe suggested in using console commands. The heart wants what the heart wants! (And right now it wants to try a black mage crit healer with Overflowing Health lol)

C

CuriousStorge

Instead, I'll try what Boshe suggested in using console commands.
Sorry about that I dunno how I messed up my last post but could do you know how to do that using console commands? I've just been wanting to do that and happened across this thread so if you could lmk how to do it that would be cool

Gabranth

Apr 26, 2023
Sorry about that I dunno how I messed up my last post but could do you know how to do that using console commands? I've just been wanting to do that and happened across this thread so if you could lmk how to do it that would be cool
Press F12 in the browser.

Now, WHAT to type in the actual console?
No clue lol

C

CuriousStorge

Press F12 in the browser.

Now, WHAT to type in the actual console?
No clue lol
I dunno if you wanted to know but according to this guy in a thread from March 7th, 2023:

"The Console can be opened with F12 or Control + Shift + J. The format for Perks is;
pc.createPerk("Perk Name", Value1, Value2, Value3, Value4, "Perk Description");
Values 1 - 4 are usually 0, but not always. The description never has a mechanical effect, so it can be whatever you want."

They didn't say the exceptions and I dunno how to actually make it work but it's a start. Again I dunno how much you care but if you try it out and find some stuff out let me know

Reactions: Ultra Chad

Gabranth

Apr 26, 2023
I dunno if you wanted to know but according to this guy in a thread from March 7th, 2023:

"The Console can be opened with F12 or Control + Shift + J. The format for Perks is;
pc.createPerk("Perk Name", Value1, Value2, Value3, Value4, "Perk Description");
Values 1 - 4 are usually 0, but not always. The description never has a mechanical effect, so it can be whatever you want."

They didn't say the exceptions and I dunno how to actually make it work but it's a start. Again I dunno how much you care but if you try it out and find some stuff out let me know
I find it much easier to just use the save editor, or open the save file directly and make the changes I want.