Favorite Video Game Shotgun

HeroicSpirit

Aug 22, 2019
What is your favorite shotgun in a video game?

As of now it’s currently the classic DOOM shotgun for me, since I’ve been playing through the first DOOM game. I think it’ll shift to the super shotgun though once I get to DOOM II.

Bobonga

Aug 13, 2021
The Hellwalker from Borderlands 3. It's a homage to the super shotgun from DOOM. Ridiculous damage, the spread is a fixed pentagram pattern and the firing sound is replaced by a electric guitar. Whats not to love?

CroqueMonsieur

Jul 17, 2023
The Jury-Rigged Boomstick from Deep Rock Galactic. It's an oversized sawed off double-barrel shotgun that handles like a handheld cannon, sounds beefy as hell and deals even beefier damage. It's capable of one-shotting most player-sized enemies whilst two-shotting the rest, and chunks the health of the bigger enemies.

And that's just on its own and without all of the upgrades and modifications (called overclocks) you can apply to the thing.

With the right upgrades, you can go from one-shotting enemies to deleting entire groups of them and setting any improbable survivors on fire. Spec it another way and you can nuke the health of the larger targets. Not a fan of close quarters? There's a overclock you can unlock that compresses the wide, rectangular spread into a tight circle; greatly increasing it's effective range.

And then there's my personal favorite overclock "Special powder", which allows you to launch yourself great distances with a simple jump and the pull of a trigger.

Turning alien insects into thin, green paste has never been so fun.

Loveless

May 29, 2022
Roadhog's Scrap Gun from Overwatch. The gun is fine by itself but the hook is what makes it soooo satisfying.

Gothic Purple Goblin

Mar 10, 2016
I dunno about now, but back at launch in Cyberpunk 2077 the Carnage shotgun up close made enemies into chunky salsa. Theres another from another game but I cannot for the life of me remember its name, but it basically shot an exploding black hole.

HK-47

May 17, 2017
Oh, hands down the Ba Xing Chong smart “shotgun” from Cyberpunk 2077. Using that on a Netrunner w/ the cyberdeck that boosts your quickhacks‘ ability to spread and the Contagion quickhack produces hilarious results. The only crappy thing is you can only get it towards the very end of the game, after having completed one of the endings and acquired the security card needed to open the locked door it’s hidden behind.

My runner up would be the Headsman, also from Cyberpunk 2077.