Eryndors Visions

Sora1443

Jun 19, 2017
(Just the first part of a short story Ive been thinking up. I know I know, its clumped together and annoying but hey.. I have to start somewhere.)
A gloomy tavern, the only building for miles on a long road. The door could be heard slamming shut now and then as the occasional traveler or merchant rushes inside for shelter from the seemingly endless rain. At one point, one of the entering customers drew hushed silence and glares towards the man's way. This man was clad in dark red robes, marking him as a mage. Everyone stared before seeming to forget the entrance of the man, returning to their cold tankards of ale and idle chatter. The mage drew down his hood, showing an obvious elven face. His long ears and slanted eyes clear even in the gloomy lighting of the tavern. The elf had long brown hair that hung to the top of his neck. This elf, Eryndor Sarrion, walked to the counter and waited patiently for service. The innkeeper watched him from the back room seeming reluctant to go forward but knew he must. “Hello how can I help you tonight!?” the innkeeper stepped out of the back room, putting on his best serving face. Eryndor sighed, knowing the man's reluctance, as resentment against mages were common in this age. “I would like a room for the night.” Eryndor replied in his usual, calm and kind attitude. “Fresh out.” the innkeeper said without a moment's hesitation. Eryndor pulled out his coin pouch and placed two gold coins on the counter “And now?” his eyes stared at the innkeeper, making the man nervous. The man swept the coins off of the counter and said “The second room at the top of the stairs. I will have somebody send up your meal. Be sure to be gone early tomorrow.” If Eryndor heard the last comment he didn't show any reaction. He took the room key and walked to his room, seemingly oblivious to all the glares he got from the other customers. He reached his room quickly unlocking the door and closing it behind him and sat before the fireplace to dry the rain from his robes.

Eryndor woke with a start. He must of fallen asleep almost as soon as he sat down, he has been traveling for days and was exhausted. There was a pounding at his room door. That must of been what woke him. He forced his legs to lift him up and walk over to the door. Assuming it was the food they were going to send up he unlocked the door and opened it. Before him stood two cloaked figures who quickly shoved themselves into his room “You shouldn't of come here.” said the one on the left, a woman's voice. The other figure on the right started drawing a sword. Eryndor quickly searched his mind for words of magic he could use to defend himself but before he could find those words, the dark cloaked pair started laughing. His eyes widened when he realized he knew these two “Aaron? Silira? Is that you?” Eryndor asked, catching onto the ruse. They both drew down their hoods and they were both grinning widely “You should've seen your face!” he chuckled along with them, happy to be among friends again. Aaron was human, black spiked hair and a black, messy beard looking like he hasn’t shaved in awhile. His eyes seemed to be pure emeralds the way they shined. Silira, an elf like Eryndor, and his childhood friend. She had long silver hair and blue eyes. She was very beautiful, as all elves were.Once the trio was done laughing Eryndor was the first to speak up. “I thought the storm would of kept you two from coming” his eyes looked over his friends, noticing they looked just as exhausted as they did.

Silira just started to speak before another knock on the door was heard “Food!” called a barmaid through the door. Eryndor opened the door, and was glad to see the innkeeper brought food for his guest as well. He handed the woman a few coins and took the bowls of stew and the friends sat eating and talking about what they went through to get here. Aaron had come from Palanthas as soon as he was off his most recent mercenary work and Silira traveled from the elven lands of Qualinesti.Both of them traveling at night to avoid the roaming armies of the evil goddess Takhisis which have appeared recently and growing stronger with each passing day. After that they made small talk. The usual questions like what kind of work have you been doing to Aaron or How is your brother to Silira. They asked Eryndor if he learned any new spells and if yes asking if they could see them, knowing he would decline. A spell could only be cast once before a mage had to commit it into memory once more. Once they were done eating and chatting they decided they would plan what to do next in the morning, and that they all needed rest. Eryndor and Silira took the bed since they were good friends and they both insisted the other got the bed. Aaron was content with his bedroll laid out before the fire. It wasn't long before they all fell into a deep sleep.

Eryndor found himself in the town of Palanthas. Except it wasn't the city he knew. Buildings were burning, bodies were lying everywhere. Mothers, fathers, children, no one was spared. The smell of burning flesh was overwhelming and he retched onto the ground and forced his feet to carry himself forward. “Hello!?” He called out, listening to his own voice echo through the empty town. He stopped as his elven ears barely picked up a whisper. He swiftly went towards the sound and fell to his knees next to the survivor. He started to weep when he realized it was someone he know. He pulled Silira into his arms not sure what he could do for the sword wound in her chest. “What happened to you.. to all of you?” he started sobbing and watched as Silira pointed towards the sky. His eyes followed her finger and his heart skipped a beat as he saw a massive red dragon flying right before him. He screamed, dragon fear surging through him and he was unable to do anything as the dragon covered him in searing flames.

Eryndor woke with a start. He was covered in sweat and it took him a moment to remember where he was. He looked next to him to see Silira still sleeping peacefully next to him and he softly stroked her hair to assure himself she was real. He looked over to the fire to see Aaron not there. He shrugged and got up from the bed softly shaking Silira to wake her. She turned over to look at him and frowned seeing his ghostly pale face “Are you alright Ery?” his voice full of worry. He shook his head and gave her a smile “Just another bad dream. Nothing to worry about.” Silira sat up in bed and was about to inquire further before Aaron came through the door carrying a tray of breakfast as well as a travel sack full of food for the road. He noticed the two looking at each other and asked “What's going on?” he sat the tray on the table and watched the two before Silira finally decided to speak first “Ery had another dream.” she blurted out and Eryndor gave her a glare Aarons ears shifted to Eryndor questioningly and Eryndor let out a sigh and started describing the vivid dream as best as he could. When he was done they all sat quietly not sure what to think about it.

Aaron finally broke the ice “Well. I was able to talk them until giving us a meal so let's not let it go to waste.” They all nodded in agreement and sat down to eat. Eryndor could barely concentrate as he realized, despite sleeping through the whole night, he was still exhausted. Once he finished his meal he looked up to the others “Alright. What's the plan? Are we going to continue onto sanctum and take a boat into Qualinesti forest or are we going to stay in sanctum for a few days and look for work?. Judging by the armies that have arisen recently I believe it best if we avoid the roads for now.” Aaron and Silira listened carefully considering the plan and Aaron was the first to add to it “With the rise of the dragons armies, I believe that offers us plenty of work. I believe we should see what kind of work we can get with them.” Silira was quick to oppose this plan “No! I refuse to join them and go into war killing innocents. If anything I vote we work against the dragon army.” Eryndor nodded before speaking again “I agree. Somebody needs to put a stop to these invaders but the three of us can’t do anything alone. I propose we go along with Aaron’s plan, but instead of helping them, we feed information to the Solamnic Knights. If we get sent into battle we can always desert.” The trio continued discussing until they decided that Eryndor’s plan would be the best. The easiest way to avoid being enemies of the Dragon Armies would be to act like one of them. Silira was still skeptical on the plan. She didn’t want to even be seen wearing the uniform of those who caused so much damage to the world. And working along those draconians? She didn’t think she could do it. She reluctantly agreed to the plan and Eryndor, knowing how she felt, patted her on the back and gave her a reassuring smile. “Alright. The innkeep told me to be out by sunrise and were already passed do. Might as well get started before he chases us out.”

Eryndor said and gathered up his precious spell books, staff of feather fall, magic ring, and spell components. His ring was called the ring of the seer. Eryndor could use it detect life within a 20 mile radius but it drained Eryndor of his strength. Other than those he traveled the lightest. Aaron had his armor, simple iron set, as well as his sword. An elven blade given to him by Silira’s brother, Samar. Samar wasn't a blacksmith but he worked as an apprentice as one for a few years. During that time he gave Aaron the blade for helping him sneak out of his chores so often. Silira had her own elven blade. Two infact, she preferred to duel wield the light weight weapons. Along with those she wore leather armor and carried a bow. Once they had gathered all of their equipment they quickly left the room, returning the key, and quickly leaving, avoiding the glares of the few, already awake, customers. As Eryndor walked out the door he shielded his eyes with his hand from the morning sun. He looked as far down the road as he could and sighed. It was going to be a long trip.