Dual wielding question.

rax3222

Apr 18, 2022
I may be missing something, but when trying to dual wield weapons I thought the requirement for that to happen was the light property on the weapon?

For context trying to do a battle mage build with the flametongue in my main hand to be able to use some spells since it is a catalyst and the sanctified gladius in my off hand since it adds a little bit of spell power and is a melee weapon, but I can't seem to for some reason.

I am not corrupt so that doesn't seem to be the issue it just always replaces my main hand with the gladius when I try to equip it.

Any help would be much appreciated since I'm likely overlooking something very obvious.

rax3222

Apr 18, 2022
Oh well that explains it. I will need to look and see if there are any weapons like flametongue that are light than so I can make my build. Thanks for the reply o/

rax3222

Apr 18, 2022
Sure thing. I personally recommend the flaming dagger for what you're going for
Took your advise and the problem is now I can't use magic, since after looking it up there are no light catalysts that are also melee weapons like how the flametongue is.

Bobonga

Aug 13, 2021
Took your advise and the problem is now I can't use magic, since after looking it up there are no light catalysts that are also melee weapons like how the flametongue is.
You don't need a catalyst weapon to cast spells. Even the spellpower and spellpenetration stats of non catalyst weapons get applied to spells.

All the [catalyst] tag does is adding the accuracy and crit stat of the weapon to spells.

Also, the flaming dagger has the [thrown] tag. That means it can use melee AND ranged powers.

Last edited:
Reactions: rax3222

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
Flametongue Blade is a bit of an odd catalyst anyways, as it doesn't (currently) have any stats that the tag would actually affect. But yeah, you don't need a Catalyst-tagged weapon to use spells, they just tend to make spellcasting better.

Erzulie

Oct 4, 2021
Take care that you're casting offensive spells that care about Catalyst as well. If you aren't invoking Critical Chance and/or Accuracy with your spells, Catalyst is, alas, worthless; the mechanic has a name that's more expansive than its effect. Healers can get a little out of Crit Chance, but buffers in general don't need to bother with Catalyst at all.

Also, you can change weapons mid-fight. Keep a bit of inventory space open and switch to a Catalyst-heavy loadout when you cast, then switch back to cuisinart-mode afterwards. Dual-wield currently has no off-turn, passive effects (another opportunity to improve there).

rax3222

Apr 18, 2022
Huh I didn't know that, thank you for the advice I may have been missing it seems. I'll mess around with my equipment and see what I can do with it, so I'm ready for when the public patch drops and I start over.