Dual wielding gonna be a thing?

Zerva

Mar 25, 2016
Me orc, me have two hands, but only one hand to chop unless using big axe on stick. Why me no chop with both hands for twice the choppy-goodness?

Translation: Will you/how will you deal with dual weapons, which currently do not exist?

Will you make it so that certain weapons go into the slot currently only used for shields?
Will you make it so that dual wielding is a weapon type, like one-handed and two-handed, but tagged as 'Dual Wield' instead and forbids the use of a shield etc?
Or will you make it so that dual weapons adapt to what's in your other hand slot? Example, if there is nothing, it has its base stats, but if you have a shield you can still equip it, but one weapon is sheathed so the stats are lowered?

Or will you make orc barbarians sad and forbid them to use two axes at the same time?

Raindrops

Jun 19, 2016
I'm pretty sure I've seen mention of dual weilding being a thing, but it's probably not implemented yet

Check the combat doc to see if it's mentioned there

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
We haven't decided on how exactly it will work. There's two competing ideas that we're debating between.

One is to have there be offhand-specifc weapons that gives stats (say +crit/+armorPen/-accuracy f.e.) that also give you powers that you can equip while you have the item equipped. These powers would incorporate your primary weapon and secondary weapon in them in some cool way. I really like this way because it isolates the dual-wielding logic for stats and powers to ones that were specifically designed for dual-wielding, and possibly even that specific off-hand weapon. Going this route would mean that you can't equip regular primary weapons in your offhand slot, and that non-dual-wielding-specifc powers/attacks wouldn't take your offhand weapon into account in the combat text.

The other way is to not have off-hand specific weapons and just allow you to equip primary weapons in the offhand slot so long as both weapons are light weapons. There'd be some logic that if you are dual wielding to only give partial bonuses from the second weapon and to impart an accuracy penalty (I don't like this because it will be extremely hard to communicate what exactly the weapon is doing for you). This would also require adding support in the combat math and combat text for every single weapon power, except ones that require a two-hand weapon. This would make coding weapon powers a good bit more complex, time consuming, and error-prone.

I like the first option because it communicates to the player exactly how dual wielding that second weapon will work, and requires less coding effort since secondary weapons are basically just a stat buff + a new power.

EDIT: First option would also make balancing easier since we don't have to balance primary weapons based on if they end up in the off-hand slot.

I forgot to mention option #3 which you mentioned, just have one item that consists of two weapons and has the two-hand or a new dual-wield tag. This one probably has the least problems overall, actually.

Last edited:

Zerva

Mar 25, 2016
Hrrrm. The only problem I have with option 2 would be the mention that they would need to be LIGHT weapons. I'd have preferred my orc to carry dual battleaxes or something, and the only option currently would be Francisca, daggers, or shortswords I think. Maybe a passive skill or training that would allow someone to dual wield two regular weapons? There should be a 'brutish' or 'strength-inclined' option I feel instead of relying exclusively on finesse and speed to dual wield.

Personally I likely would have preferred the 3rd option with the skill stuff from option 1, since that would simplify the weapons (which you will probably want to match anyways) and also give some flavor for those who want to dual wield, but what's done is done I suppose!

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
Hrrrm. The only problem I have with option 2 would be the mention that they would need to be LIGHT weapons. I'd have preferred my orc to carry dual battleaxes or something, and the only option currently would be Francisca, daggers, or shortswords I think. Maybe a passive skill or training that would allow someone to dual wield two regular weapons? There should be a 'brutish' or 'strength-inclined' option I feel instead of relying exclusively on finesse and speed to dual wield.

Personally I likely would have preferred the 3rd option with the skill stuff from option 1, since that would simplify the weapons (which you will probably want to match anyways) and also give some flavor for those who want to dual wield, but what's done is done I suppose!

No.

OP.

Raindrops

Jun 19, 2016

There'll probably be some handaxes or something added later that are axes, but light weapons.

Zerva

Mar 25, 2016
As long as I get to be the Berserker from For Honor wielding dual axes instead of dancing around like a thief with dual daggers or shortswords I'll be happy!

This is just tier 1 weapons, I'm sure cooler stuff will come in the future ^^ Worst case I play the class fantasy using a two-handed weapon, preferably a maul or greataxe!