Does having a "Barbarian" background necessarily mean your Champion's gotta be a stereotypical one?

CourtOfTheGrayWaves

May 15, 2022
Can he just be raised by barbarians in a barbarian village? But while retaining some aspects, he's his own dude who dresses more like a traditional knight/soldier? He's also an average body build standing at 5'11 (the OG character he's based off is 5'8 but I changed the height to reference CoC 10.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
You can headcanon your Champ in a lot of ways and the game's not likely to contradict it (or support it as the case may be) unless your headcanon diverges radically from the background description. So yeah, something like 'my Champ was raised by a barbarian tribe but wasn't born into it' isn't likely to be contradicted by anything that the game is ever going to do. 'My Barbarian!Champ's family is alive' on the other hand would be the sort of thing where you will get contradicted because one of the things that the writers have to distinguish that background from the others to add flavor is 'the rest of the tribe is dead'.

The game never really cares what your Champ is wearing and while dressing like the Kervus is probably more what the writing has in mind I doubt it's ever going to come up if you want to imagine they dressed differently in the past and it's certainly not going to come up regarding how they dress in the present-day.

NinjaTacos

Aug 19, 2023
UK
A relatively small number of scenes reference and build on your selected background (its really at the writers' discretion). While a fair few scenes have referenced my champ's courtesan background, there's only been one I can think of that contradicts the headcanon backstory I invented for her. The game is mostly open enough to let you fill in your character's story and identity from your imagination.

CourtOfTheGrayWaves

May 15, 2022
You can headcanon your Champ in a lot of ways and the game's not likely to contradict it (or support it as the case may be) unless your headcanon diverges radically from the background description. So yeah, something like 'my Champ was raised by a barbarian tribe but wasn't born into it' isn't likely to be contradicted by anything that the game is ever going to do. 'My Barbarian!Champ's family is alive' on the other hand would be the sort of thing where you will get contradicted because one of the things that the writers have to distinguish that background from the others to add flavor is 'the rest of the tribe is dead'.

The game never really cares what your Champ is wearing and while dressing like the Kervus is probably more what the writing has in mind I doubt it's ever going to come up if you want to imagine they dressed differently in the past and it's certainly not going to come up regarding how they dress in the present-day.
Thanks, Lord Wolfram!