Does anyone like Conan?

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
I've had the idea for a Conan the Barbarian themed game knocking around in my head for some time now. A primitive and often brutal world where life is cheap, magic is rare and dangerous, and the powers that be often demand sacrifice from their worshipers.

I'm not recruiting players just yet, but I would like to gauge people's interest in such a game. As I am posting on this site, there will, of course, be plenty of opportunity for eroticism in this game. Beyond that, I would like to know what kind of characters people would like to play in this kind of setting? What game system would people prefer, I default to Dungeon World myself, but what others do people think would work well?

Anyway, feel free to post ideas and question, and hopefully I'll hear back from at least a few people.

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
I think I've watched almost all the Conan the Barbarian movies when I was a kid. Always wanted to be Arnold Schwarzenegger. :p

Consciousone

Sep 4, 2015
know this is Necro as balls but I'd love to play a brutal (but loyal) Bayard in a setting like this.

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
Well, if at least two people are interested, we might be able to make something happen. Go ahead and cook up a personality, and history for your characters, and we'll see what happens.

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
I'm only interested in pure text roleplays really, but I like the Conan theme. I'd be interested, and have many characters suited to the setting already.

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
I suppose we could try doing a pure text role-play. Never tried one before, but I suppose it could be fun. For now, though, lets see what kind of characters people cook up, and we'll go from there.

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
Pure text meaning no rolls at all? That's going to be a little tricky to manage, but it can be done. You just have to be very careful with the writing.

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
It will be a learning experience, but I think I can pull it off.

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
Well, if I can do it, so can you. XD

However, I do use dice when a situation arises that happens to be pure chance. Like, the character noticing something out of the ordinary or whatever.

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
I'd be perfectly fine with that. I just want limited to no number crunching... if you just wanna tell me to roll a d20 now and again, totally up for that. If you like, go ahead and roll it for me, don't even tell me what I got, just make stuff happen. Tell me what I got in battles though, because if I roll a one, I love the usual dm on the spot hilarity. For a conan theme, I'd love to play either a classic berserker, fitting for the setting, or a magic caster... very rare in the setting I believe, but I'd also need to do some research. Also, I don't know how true to the setting you'd like to stay. My first choice would be my goblin barbarian, Dyzz. Stupid, adorable, bimbo-ey, amazonian. Great at taking punishment... tanky, with great healing, which will be curbed depending on how gritty you want the setting to be, or whether you're ok with some power fantasy. I've written this character in roleplay regularly (as in a daily basis often, or at least a weekly one for the most part) for over a decade. I also have a good deal of character art for her, fan art and commissions, which I will share upon request.

Last edited:

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
If I can't decide on how something should play out, I'll probably just flip a coin or something.
As for characters, while the Hyborian Age setting of Conan is pretty much human exclusive, with none humans being either mindless monsters or aliens, I'm not actually planning to set the game there, but in a world similar to it, so if you really want to play a none human we can find a way to make it work. Now as for playing a magic user, mages in Conan usually come in one of two varieties; strange hermits who live out in the wilds to avoid the superstitious commoners, or priests and nobles who are powerful enough to protect themselves from the common folk. Also, magic isn't a learned thing, more of a self-discovered talent, so you'll need to come up with a story to explain how you discovered your talents with witchcraft.

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Makes sense. Lemme know if you want to stick human only, otherwise, I'm fine with Dyzz being one of a kind, an utter aberration to the setting, if she's allowable, and has to be for the setting to work. Can always explain things via magic. Otherwise, I'll work on a hermit witch concept probably... got any links that could help me figure out what that magic would look like?

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
Well, if we were to make her one of a kind, then she'd be considered a monster in Conan game. If we don't come up with a reason for her people to be in the world, then she'll have a pretty hard time of things once she gets to a human settlement. But, if you decide to play her, then I'll come up with some reason for goblins to be in the world.
As for magic, there are no hard and fast rules for how it works, but it does tend to be subtle in nature. Things like predicting the future, conjuring up fog, and other such minor tricks will be at your disposal in the beginning. As the story goes, you'd learn more powerful abilities like transforming into animals, hypnosis, and setting things on fire with a look. But, you won't be shooting lazers out of your hands, or destroying armies by yourself. That kind of magic does exist, but it is beyond the ken of mere mortals.

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Interesting, I didn't know it was such a low fantasy setting. The online conan game had people turning into demons, and dark magic warlords and shit from the get go. I should rethink things... but I also don't mind having Dyzz be considered a monster by normal folk. She's beautiful, which would mean she'd attract lust, prejudice, bigotry, invite violence with just her presence.... etc, but I can deal with all of that. As long as I'm allowed to have her tanky enough to survive it :p I'd need her to be tougher, physically, than a human character. Otherwise, for the sake of rp, I'd probably want to stick to a human character.

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
Yeah, video games tend to overstate the magic part of the setting to make the game more fun to play. But, in the books, Hyboria is a very low magic setting. It is out there, but it tends to be rare and either hard to control, or outright malicious. That's why most magic users in the stories were evil kings and queens, or priests of fell gods, and the like.
As far as your character's longevity goes, by default, you'll be a cut above the average person, you wouldn't last long if you weren't. But, this game will be more grounded in realism than most. So, if you try to plant your feet and fight ten guys with swords on open ground, then you're going to get killed. You'll have to be a little more creative in your fighting strategy.

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Makes sense. I don't think I should do Dyzz then, though. What party would take on that sort of liability, if she wasn't really worth it, after all? I mean, she'd just get them all killed in a riot or pogrom. I'll look around at Conan classic magic examples.

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Alright, lemme pitch this, versatility for rp, strong, and with its drawbacks...
Character: Aitainyn. Bear-druid.
Powers: Shapeshifting into a large bear. Can communicate with animals. Handy with a stick (staff fighting), and a sling. Keeps a handful of choice rocks at her hip.
Drawbacks: Can't communicate with people, seems retarded to most. Speaks only in grunts and groans, and occasionally, roars. Has limited understanding of society, and fears civilization, is anxious around people she doesn't know, at best.
Potential to grow into better shapeshifting, transforming one day into a very large, very powerful bear. Like the equivalent of a dire bear. Perhaps even develop the ability to call animals to her aid... her ability to do so at the start is about as likely as a person's ability to get a bunch of farmers to take up arms for them. Gotta have a really, really good argument. Handier with sticks and rocks.

As far as backstory goes, classically, raised by bears. Wild, red head, wears not enough clothing, not that that matters too terribly much in a Conan setting. Usually bare breasted. There'll be a lot more depth explored in post.

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
Looks good, except for the whole lack of speech thing. That would make it basically impossible to role-play through any kind of social encounter; not to mention introduce her to the other party members. Speaking of which, you're the only one who seems to be really getting into this RP. If that keeps up, then this might just turn into a one on one thing. And if that's the case, you're character will definitely need some way to communicate effectively.

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Hmm, noted. If I'm alone though, I'll definitely want something more versatile. I was thinking in terms of her lack of social ability being rather made up by the party, who saw her as handy because.. who the hell wouldn't want a bear to get their back in a fight for their life? If it's one on one, however, in the Conan universe, nothing beats a barbarian. EXCEPT A BEAR DRUID, THAT ALWAYS WINS. So I might just make her able to communicate, and leave it at that, or look for another balancing weakness. Also, a shapeshifter won't be as dependent on magic items, hopefully... hopefully.

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
Definitely look for options, but I haven't gotten a no form the others yet, either.

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Actually, I'd like to change her other form from a bear to a 'dire' wolf... one with the equivalent strength of a bear. Larger than a normal wolf.... in large part, because I enjoy bestiality, and she'd become a male wolf. Fun times.

Black hair... steely grey eyes. Called 'werewolf', or 'witch', or any number of other things. Black furred wolf, with similar eyes... nigh twice the size of a normal wolf! Might just make her a herm, in both forms... another little 'freak' addition, that'll set her apart, should people learn of it.

Mhmm... from the northern lands, lands of snow, and frost. Pale of skin, unnaturally, so. Her fur includes snowy white ankles and paws in her wolf form, and a tail tipped white, with a white slash across the fur of the face... which resembles a certain blotch of discoloration on her own face, a telltale sign.

Last edited:

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
Sounds good And the fetish is good to know, since sex with monsters and beasts could be a thing, depending on how battle goes.

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Makes sense to me! She'll need to keep her identity as a wolf secret as much as possible, I'm also open to having her raped as a consequence of battle, and won't whine when she loses (unless she dies... I get whiny then. I apologize in advance.) I'll be realistic as well, a town of angry farmers with pitchforks is something life threatening, armed guards who are experienced in battle even more so. She'll take real threats very seriously, in keeping with the setting, and the threat of exposure as a werewolf... well, she'll always be mindful of that. I'm ready to start any time, already have a lot of backstory to explore. In keeping with Conan's style, I'd like it to develop slowly, as an unfolding mystery... like the eternally enigmatic nature of magic. Dark, disturbing, weird and useless to most.

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
Okay, I'll give the other interested parties another day or two to post character ideas. If nothing is forthcoming, then we'll start things off as a one on one.

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Awww, I'd like to start sooner :p Could really use the distraction right now. Sure I can't persuade you? Can always add people as we go. I do very, very long posts.

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
Sorry, but you'll have to wait until tomorrow, or at least later tonight, while I get the starting location hammered out.

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Ah, more on her weaknesses... she can't wear armor, or even normal clothing, for the most part. Too restrictive... it'd all shred when she transformed, unless it was tight, tough armor, like chain links. That might kill her instead, should she try to transform. Changing in shackles could conceivably break her legs, or just have her changed, but still shackled. Despite this almost constant lacking of any meaningful armor, she also can't change for many situations... where people can see her, for the most part, unless she intends to kill all witnesses, it's too dangerous. Also tends to lose everything she was carrying when she transforms, unless she can find it after.

Last edited:

ShinyHappyFitsOfRage

Aug 20, 2017
Gotten rather attached to this character concept. I'm diggin' it. I am wondering, though... is there much a precedence for necromancy in the Conanverse? I can't seem to find much more than demon summoning.