Does anyone know what the next story planet will be, and if there is an ETA on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
"Free to play game"
If it's free to play, then why are there *clears throat* 6,011 people on Patreon giving them $31, 212 a month for a "free to play game"? :v
Free to play means free to play. You get a pub build every month that you don't even have to pay for, which is usually free of bugs and fuck ups in comparison to what the backers get. You get a polished version of all the backer builds from the last month for free.
Donations does NOT mean you're paying for the game. Everything becomes free each first week of the month unless something is going on to delay it, this is and should be common knowledge by now.

Alabaster Chimes

Aug 29, 2015
"Free to play game"
If it's free to play, then why are there *clears throat* 6,011 people on Patreon giving them $31, 212 a month for a "free to play game"? :v

Also, tfw the last story update was in 2015 :l

Its called donations.

BlacJak

Dec 5, 2017
Free to play means free to play. You get a pub build every month that you don't even have to pay for, which is usually free of bugs and fuck ups in comparison to what the backers get. You get a polished version of all the backer builds from the last month for free.
Donations does NOT mean you're paying for the game. Everything becomes free each first week of the month unless something is going on to delay it, this is and should be common knowledge by now.

Free to play: refers to a business model for online games in which the game designers do not charge the user or player in order to join the game. Instead, they hope to bring in revenue from advertisements or in-game sales, such as payment for upgrades, special abilities, special items, and expansion packs.

That's just the definition that rook me 3 seconds to look up. Also, if donations don't mean you're paying for the game, then what are the patrons paying for each month? If I remember correctly, they are paying for early builds to a "free to play" game. Some are paying for backer builds to the game, which again, means they're paying for it. Which makes no sense in the first place, if everything is just gonna get added later on in the month then why would you pay to play a broken version when you could just wait and get a better not as broken version?

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Also, if donations don't mean you're paying for the game, then what are the patrons paying for each month? If I remember correctly, they are paying for early builds to a "free to play" game. Some are paying for backer builds to the game, which again, means they're paying for it. Which makes no sense in the first place, if everything is just gonna get added later on in the month then why would you pay to play a broken version when you could just wait and get a better not as broken version?

You're right. We should just do loot boxes like the rest of the games industry. Who wants to gamble their money for some new Syri scenes, eh?

BlacJak

Dec 5, 2017
Good job at completely derailing someone's innocent thread with your whiny salt.
To be honest, it's still within the realms of the original question. Besides, they already got their answer.

You're right. We should just do loot boxes like the rest of the games industry. Who wants to gamble their money for some new Syri scenes, eh?
Isn't that what the patrons are already doing? Giving you guys that hot 30k a month to see what character is gonna that new, steamy scene. Besides, you know the loot boxes thing wouldn't work because it would take you guys too long to go through the submissions for them to make any money off of them. :v

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
To be honest, it's still within the realms of the original question. Besides, they already got their answer.

Isn't that what the patrons are already doing? Giving you guys that hot 30k a month to see what character is gonna that new, steamy scene. Besides, you know the loot boxes thing wouldn't work because it would take you guys too long to go through the submissions for them to make any money off of them. :v
You've convinced me. No one should pay again! Then we can go back to getting an update for everyone every 3 months with only once scene containing around 5k words because no one has time to write with having to work a job! Thank you for enlightening me.

Reactions: Jongeedubs

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Besides, you know the loot boxes thing wouldn't work because it would take you guys too long to go through the submissions for them to make any money off of them. :v

Naaaaaah, we don't have to put THAT much effort in. Just copy/paste it, it's fine.

EmperorG

Sep 6, 2015
Getting railed in the ass by a dog dick rewards the player with a sense of pride and accomplishment.

Calm down Satan/EA

petsinwinter

Jul 16, 2016
Free to play: refers to a business model for online games in which the game designers do not charge the user or player in order to join the game.

and who exactly is charging players to access TiTS? I see a game anyone can access for free that people can donate to if they want to. no one's forcing anyone to access TiTS on Patreon

BlacJak

Dec 5, 2017
and who exactly is charging players to access TiTS? I see a game anyone can access for free that people can donate to if they want to. no one's forcing anyone to access TiTS on Patreon

Well, Fen is of course, he's charging them monthly. To early builds of the game.Now, there's nothing wrong with supporting something in a donation, but donations are usually a one time thing. Not a monthly basis. I doubt there are people who donate to a cause every month. They give them a donation, once in a while.

GothPastel

Scientist
Creator
Jan 6, 2017
Where the crows are.
Free to play =/= free to make.
If the team makes no money off the game (their full time jobs), they can't pay for hosting fees for the site(s), their internet subscriptions, any programmes they use in building the game, etc.
So: 3 options
1) Hold down regular jobs on top of TiTS's work load - slowing content releases down immensely - which nobody wants, seeing as you've been complainin' about the lack of story updates. This'd push them back eeeeven further.
2) Literaly insert ads everywhere in the game. Yeah, no thanks, I don't want a virus.
3) A completely fucking optional Patreon that can be cancelled at any time.

Remind me why the last option is somehow awful?

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Well, Fen is of course, he's charging them monthly....They give them a donation, once in a while.

And on the months they don't want to give us anything, they can have the same builds as anybody else, because we're awesome and give the game away for free. Folk that don't think we deserve their cash are 100% welcome to play all the same content as everyone else, at the start of each month.

petsinwinter

Jul 16, 2016
I doubt there are people who donate to a cause every month.

If you don't like Patreon, that's your problem. not to mention, there's no issue with donating once, pulling out from the subscription immediately and receiving backer builds for a month and never donating again.

Silens Phoenix

Nov 24, 2017
"Free to play game"

Free to play does not mean the absence of a paying option. You don't have to pay in order to play the game. They still release public builds every month that you can access for a grand total of $0.

Reactions: Zavos

Lkynmbr24

Creator
Oct 30, 2016
I felt bad about not being able to support the game myself, but since I don't have many shekkels to divy out due to my own financial situation, I decided to contribute a different way by writing content for the game I wanted to help in that way!

OpinionsRbad

Sep 20, 2017
I'd support it if I knew the main story was actually going to be finished.
Because at the rate it's going we will never see how this Race Ends. My shekels are not easily given.
Objectively it's in their best interest to never finish it and just keep rolling out more "Content" so that the patreon dollars keep rolling in. I ain't one to shit on someone's hussle; but I want more than just dickin' around on the same planets while a bunch of others have only a single intro sentence. Kills both my immersion and my boner.

Reactions: critlocked

BlacJak

Dec 5, 2017
Free to play =/= free to make.
If the team makes no money off the game (their full time jobs), they can't pay for hosting fees for the site(s), their internet subscriptions, any programmes they use in building the game, etc.
So: 3 options
1) Hold down regular jobs on top of TiTS's work load - slowing content releases down immensely - which nobody wants, seeing as you've been complainin' about the lack of story updates. This'd push them back eeeeven further.
2) Literaly insert ads everywhere in the game. Yeah, no thanks, I don't want a virus.
3) A completely fucking optional Patreon that can be cancelled at any time.

Remind me why the last option is somehow awful?

Didn't Fen have a normal job before TiTS was a thing? He was still producing updates at a somewhat decent rate. Y'know, until TiTS became a thing and raked in all the money that he prompted abandoned CoC and begrudgingly "finished" it. What about the rest of team? I'm sure they had jobs too before this was ever a thing. Also, it doesn't cost anything to make a flash game. Just time and effort.

1) I mean, there's plenty of people who make indie games and such in their free time as a hobby or side project. It's called managing you time wisely, and having a schedule. Not only that, but it's not like Fen and the gang are doing 100% of the work. There are people outside of their group that write scenes for plenty of things, all it takes is for Savin, Upcast, or whoever to sit down and code it into the game.
2) That's what anti-virus is for...
3) Again, Fen did CoC without a Patreon bringing in 30k a month to keep the site up, and continue to write, code, and update the game :v He even had a donation thing as well, but that was a one time thing. Think of it this way, when you support a Kickstarter, you donate to that project, once. Not monthly, just once, and get the thing or tier of things you donated for. Now, may I remind you that the initial Offbeatr campaign ended with like 200k. Now, are you going to tell me that it takes over $200,000 of support for what is a flash game to continue getting updates and content that is, if not mostly, written by that very same community?

Reactions: critlocked

Zavos

May 7, 2016
"Free to play game"

Sorry, but the rest of us do not live in this something for nothing land you inhabit. This game has expenses, its professional writers need to be subsidized for their time in order to pay their own expenses. A small portion of the player base funds the game so the rest of us can play for free. Also, a regular browser free to play game is successful if it can monotize 2% of the player base. A free to play video game can be commercially successful even if 98% of players play for free. (source) The fact of the matter is that some portion of the player base likes the game enough to donate towards its development, Fenoxo & friends are able to do this for a living, and the rest of us get to enjoy the game for free. If this somehow is not okay with you, please leave.

OpinionsRbad

Sep 20, 2017
I'm gonna stick to my guns and say that it is probably best to finish the skeleton of the planet and fill in. Not jump all over the place or else you end up with shit like first level Uveto where all the NPCs are unstarted basically. That is REALLY off-putting.

OpinionsRbad

Sep 20, 2017
Sorry, but the rest of us do not live in this something for nothing land you inhabit. This game has expenses, its professional writers need to be subsidized for their time .

EvrMDih.png

BlacJak

Dec 5, 2017
Sorry, but the rest of us do not live in this something for nothing land you inhabit. This game has expenses, its professional writers need to be subsidized for their time in order to pay their own expenses. A small portion of the player base funds the game so the rest of us can play for free. Also, a regular browser free to play game is successful if it can monotize 2% of the player base. A free to play video game can be commercially successful even if 98% of players play for free. (source) The fact of the matter is that some portion of the player base likes the game enough to donate towards its development, Fenoxo & friends are able to do this for a living, and the rest of us get to enjoy the game for free. If this somehow is not okay with you, please leave.

Professional writers don't just ignore the plot for 2 years and fill everything else around it with fluff that has no meaning other that hosting another character or two for you to go fuck for the next 5 minutes. There hasn't been a single reason to go to any of the other "planets" or stations that have been added for the last 2 years. Also, I don't get where this "something for nothing" thing comes from when, again, Fen literally made Corruption of Champions with like no money. Alder also made a game to with like no money as well. The issue with your argument is that you state this "donation" money ceases being donations when it ends up being payment to compensate these "professional writers' " time, and pay for their own personal expenses that don't count towards the game.

Aullama

Creator
Dec 12, 2016
Professional writers don't just ignore the plot for 2 years and fill everything else around it with fluff that has no meaning other that hosting another character or two for you to go fuck for the next 5 minutes. There hasn't been a single reason to go to any of the other "planets" or stations that have been added for the last 2 years. Also, I don't get where this "something for nothing" thing comes from when, again, Fen literally made Corruption of Champions with like no money. Alder also made a game to with like no money as well. The issue with your argument is that you state this "donation" money ceases being donations when it ends up being payment to compensate these "professional writers' " time, and pay for their own personal expenses that don't count towards the game.
COC also has much less content than TiTS. So does FoE.

Gorteh

Sep 19, 2016
The issue with your argument is that you state this "donation" money ceases being donations when it ends up being payment to compensate these "professional writers' " time, and pay for their own personal expenses that don't count towards the game.
Do you also not donate to charities because as soon as they use that money to pay the staff it's no longer a good cause?

Status
Not open for further replies.