Destructive Criticism Is Never Helpful

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
I was going to post this in another thread, but I figured that thread was veering dangerously off topic and so not the best place to talk about this. As well as thing, this can be quite a general topic and I might end up talking bullshit, so what the hell, what better place to do this.

Its a difficult path, being a writer, actually being a creative person in general because honestly, artists have their own, different kind of difficulty. Especially in the digital halls of the internet, where the attention span is counted in seconds and anything that takes more than five minutes to read is simply ignored. In a communications medium such as this, you are judged on the first and often only glance of your work.

Which makes it difficult to get good feedback, constructive feedback. A lot of people get the idea that they can throw out a thinly veiled insult as a review and think it a "good comment", little thinking or caring about the fact that the person they've sent the "review" to has feelings. Essentially, a "good comment" never helps, it actually crushes the writer, because it (a) devalues their work and (b) devalues them.

When a writer posts their work, there is a strong likelihood that they will not get any comment or review, but every time they get that comment that says "I liked your story" or "Fantastic work", they are buoyed on and elated that someone has not only enjoyed their work, but also took the time to express that. Just a few little words and they are fuelled to take on the next piece, the next chapter, the next story.

Then you get the people who don't think about what they are saying. Or rather, those who don't care. There is no opportunity to help someone grow in their abilities, or to pass on their thoughts on what they read. It is often a chance to throw an insult and hide behind the shield of the honest review.

I say this from experience. Several years ago, I wrote and posted a 115k word novel, with a 15k collection of short stories connected to the novel. I loved every second of the writing process, I loved crafting the plot and developing the characters. I loved the twists that I hid within the story. Every positive review that came in made me smile and got me stoked to get onto the next chapter.

Then I started getting the shit comments. Because even now, years later, those are the only ones that have stuck with me. There were the begging ones, the ignorant ones and the plain insulting ones. It got to the point where I just abandoned a prequel I had started and just quit the whole thing for half a decade.

Just to give you an idea of the comments, these are some of the tamer ones.
"Hmm...very nice!Though it took you a long time to update,it is still very nice."
"You know making him a sarcastic and mean character is not very good, whatever you wish but try to have him behave better with other can give you a two faced dick."
"Nice are you going to update the other one? Also a bit more humor would be a question though,is it just me or is the search feature not working for you as well?"
"Nice are you going to update the main one?"

They seem innocuous at first, but when they're the only comments you see for weeks at time, it can start to weigh on you. When you write, you don't see your own words, you see those comments. And when you see that often enough, it kills that drive to write. So when people give shitty comments, they are destroying hundreds of potential stories and tales. But more importantly, they are crushing something that a person does for fun, to the point where they can't see the fun anymore.

If people want writers, or any creative person, to improve, there are ways to do so without coming off as a complete prick. Give this page a good read, better than any tips I could give.

Slab Bulkhead

Creator
Oct 10, 2015
When a writer posts their work, there is a strong likelihood that they will not get any comment or review, but every time they get that comment that says "I liked your story" or "Fantastic work", they are buoyed on and elated that someone has not only enjoyed their work, but also took the time to express that. Just a few little words and they are fuelled to take on the next piece, the next chapter, the next story.
Seriously, thank you for this. Encouraging writers is so damn important - encouraging any artist is damn important, but writing's all I'm good at - and it's way too easy to just assume they know people think their work is good, or to act like a jerk in the guise of constructive criticism.

Here's the truth: I am insecure as all FUCK about my writing. Every single thing I post, I worry that nobody's going to like it, or that somebody's going to tear it apart. And I hardly even notice when people give me a 'like' on my work, all I see is the thread getting a bunch of hits but no comments on it or the document. I know some people have seen me going on about this in the chats for Adjatha's streams, but I've gotten a lot of encouragement there, and I'm really damn grateful for it. Just knowing that people like my stuff, and that they're glad to hear I'm working on more, that keeps me going for days.

If you like someone's work, tell them. Even just an "I like what you're doing, keep it up" is good. An "I really liked this scene/description/whatever" is even better, because that helps us know what we're doing right so we can keep doing it. An "I fapped/schlicked/came to this" is probably not good for most writing critique, but around here, it means we're doing it right. :D

If you want to give real critique, try the "shit sandwich" method. Start with something you liked ("catgirls are my favorite and you wrote her really cute"), move on to something that needs work ("I don't get why she talked about her family for half a page, it doesn't seem like it matters to her story"), and end with something else you liked ("you write really good blowjobs"). Because most writers will focus on the bad part, making damn sure they know what you liked will help a ton. And don't just say "this is bad", tell them that you didn't like and tell them why, and offer suggestions for how to make it better if you can. That shows you care about helping them and you're not just there to be an ass.

Ending this with a quote from Kevin Smith that I think is relevant:
Remember: it costs nothing to encourage an artist, and the potential benefits are staggering. A pat on the back to an artist now could one day result in your favorite film, or the cartoon you love to get stoned watching, or the song that saves your life. Discourage an artist, you get absolutely nothing in return, ever.

Dec 11, 2016
I have to say, whenever I end up finishing a chapter for a story et cetera, I usually drink some wine before posting it.

Because it steadies my nerves and makes me a little less anxious. Writing can be stressful. Shitty reviews written by people barely taking in the effort to spell, let alone type a coherent sentence, now that is just fucking irritating. The 'smug' ones make me want to smack a bitch! :mad:

Ah, but reading positive reviews, now that is what makes it worth writing. Of course, on that subject, it can be nice to get 'Nice work/good work' comments, but these are often not all that helpful to read, because I want to know specifically 'What you thought was good'. But at least it is positive. Sometimes, I feel that my story-telling is more based on my gut-feeling and intuition most of the time, hoping that what comes out is actually good. Finding good stuff is like a 'Eureka' moment.

Unfortunately, writers block has been with me for a few months now. I can barely write a few sentences towards my next chapter before sighing in frustration as no words come to me and I just give up.

But, writing gives me the opportunity to drink more, so maybe soon I shall be out of this rut.

Slab Bulkhead

Creator
Oct 10, 2015
I have to say, whenever I end up finishing a chapter for a story et cetera, I usually drink some wine before posting it.
Hemingway said "Write drunk, edit sober." I don't get drunk while writing, because make enough typos already, but I do have a shot while working. The last thing I wrote was all thanks to coconut rum. :D

Dec 11, 2016
Drinking makes the pen flow and the fingers type. I just drink enough to get a little tipsy, not drunk.

I cannot imagine the eldritch horror I would find in the morning if I was writing whilst drunk. What you think is the greastest Philosophical breakthrough at 4AM becomes Illegible, ill-worded mush upon waking up.

Not as bad as when you fall asleep at the keyboard though. I once had a document that went on for two hundred pages of repeated letters.

Reactions: Freed85

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Every writer has their own tricks for getting themselves stoked for the deed.
Personally I'd start writing at 1 am and finish around 3000 words later (around 4am), mainly because it was the quietest time of the day and when my brain felt the most creative.

That said, I've been trying to get back into writing (mainly because I want to contribute content to TiTS), but after so long I feel like my skills have rusted shut and what was once descriptive prose has become meh. But yeah, that's an effect that shitty criticism can have on writers, they don't want to write anymore and because it is a skill, it fades from non use. So again, folks, be considerate of what you say to writers. You might get a kick from making them feel like crap but in the end you deprive yourself and everyone else so much wonderful content.

Freed85

Aug 31, 2015
Thanks for posting this Evil, as some one trying to write for TiTS as well I can't really say how much I agree with this!

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
Yeah, I've kinda been guilty of giving some bad criticism on Twitter. Long story short, I thought that by stating my intentions it was ok. It wasn't. Got my tweet deleted and was blocked by one of my favorite artists on Twitter. Had to delete my account and wait a month so I could refollow them. Along with like 80 other people. Was pretty salty for a while(kinda still am, if im being honest), till I realized that I'd actually been a bit of an asshole.

If you want to give criticism, that's fine. But make sure to check if the creator will accept the criticism, as well as making sure the criticism doesn't sound dickish.

And if you somehow can think of no other way of saying it, but still want to state your opinion, then maybe ask the artist if they'd be cool with a little opinionated red-pilling. And if they say no, bite the bullet, thank them for their time, and leave it at that.

Last edited:

Glassboy

Sep 6, 2015
Ireland
I want to add that, if you don't know what to say or don't have any critique, it costs nothing to press the like button on the forums, Tumblr, Twitter, Reddit or whatever site you use. It's easy to forget about but it really helps to get that bit of positive encouragement.