Demon Cultists Lore plothole?

sarvu2543

Jul 6, 2016
So real talk... what is the point of a demon sex cult in a world..where caits religion exist... who is basically just a sex cult . . . ?

o_O

Did I just break the story by asking this question?

Are the cultists literally just brainless idiots who can't ask the single question i just asked

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
They're not 'just' a sex cult, they're a sex cult run by a man with a very specific agenda who's using the sex to recruit and retain followers and (post-Kasyrra) as a tool because it spreads corruption. He also has the shiny beads he received from Mareth from past sacrifices with which to reward followers and advance his goals, even before Kas showed up. This kind of bites Tollus in the ass when the demon he got (entirely by accident) wasn't what he was expecting and she ends up co-opting the majority of his followers.

sarvu2543

Jul 6, 2016
They're not 'just' a sex cult, they're a sex cult run by a man with a very specific agenda who's using the sex to recruit and retain followers and (post-Kasyrra) as a tool because it spreads corruption. He also has the shiny beads he received from Mareth from past sacrifices with which to reward followers and advance his goals, even before Kas showed up. This kind of bites Tollus in the ass when the demon he got (entirely by accident) wasn't what he was expecting and she ends up co-opting the majority of his followers.

But the question stands is, what's in it for me ?

As a logical thinker if i was in this scenario irl I see it going down like this

Cultist general: JOIN ME AND KNOW ETERNAL PLEASURE!

Me; and?

Cultist General: AND RECEIVE MIGHTY POWERS!

Me: And?

Cultist General: My hand in marriage?

Me: And?

Cultist General: . . . Okay your really spoiling the mood

Me: points to Kiyoko I quite literally have this crazy woman who has taken my hand in marriage, sired me countless children, and counting, basically had me become king of her village, and when it comes to crazy powers? LIterally everyone in this country is teaching me their powers just to kick your ass. Look i'm sorry man, but the good guys kinda out bid you here. And frankly in a world where this bitches religion exist Points to Cait I'm surprised you get anyone joining your team.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
The Champ is explicitly special in the 'I can haz awesome powers' department because of Portal Fuckery (and in the Doylist sense, because it justifies the gameplay mechanics) just like they're special in how mutable their body is. Tollus can offer followers some of what he gets from Mareth (which includes vastly prolonged life expectancy) along with the sex, and that gives the people who buy into his pitch things they can't get elsewhere.

Also, people believe weird-ass shit all the time. It doesn't break immersion that someone running a world domination cult using sex as a lure exists when you look at all the stuff people in the maximally realistic Real World have fallen for.

Also, pointing to Mallachite religion doesn't do much for your argument because there isn't a Temple in the Marches until the Champ (optionally) helps Cait found one.

Animefan666

Sep 6, 2020
The Mallachite religion doesn't force you into it. They aren't sending raiding parties to sack your village, steal your valuables, kidnap/kill everyone and corrupt your immortal soul. They have a purpose that benefits everyone involved and treats you like a person. They are fundamentally different.

Last edited:

PalletTown

Sep 10, 2015
Mallach, as Cait explains, is also the God of moderation. While he is stereotyped as the god of sex, he is more the god of artists and stories. The cultists have been shown repeatedly to be nearly nonfunctional addicts who are only really useful is forced by a stronger demon. If a person showed up to a Mallach temple with the same level of addiction as a cultist, the priestesses are more likely to get you into rehab than indulge you.

Additionally, Mallach's center of worship is not the Frostmarches, and the only real access that the Hawkthorne villagers have to Mallach is Cait's temple.

Lastly, Sex isn't the only thing Tollus offers. He also offers sex outside of morality, money, and power.

sarvu2543

Jul 6, 2016
Mallach, as Cait explains, is also the God of moderation. While he is stereotyped as the god of sex, he is more the god of artists and stories. The cultists have been shown repeatedly to be nearly nonfunctional addicts who are only really useful is forced by a stronger demon. If a person showed up to a Mallach temple with the same level of addiction as a cultist, the priestesses are more likely to get you into rehab than indulge you.

Additionally, Mallach's center of worship is not the Frostmarches, and the only real access that the Hawkthorne villagers have to Mallach is Cait's temple.

Lastly, Sex isn't the only thing Tollus offers. He also offers sex outside of morality, money, and power.
that's also part of my point though lol, the good guys literally OUT BID the bad guys here.

Animefan666

Sep 6, 2020
Not necessarily. The selling point of the cult is the benefits of being a minor cog in a machine. You, as the individual, don't matter. You're free from the bonds of ethics, morals and responsibility. Everything is provided for you. You gain power in an instant, but at a substantial cost. Power that otherwise would've taken time and effort to achieve.

Reactions: Navydivea

Medge

Dec 23, 2015
Tollus's cult is not "just" a sex cult thats equivalent to the Mallachites. Silly as it seems, think of the Jedi vs the sith. They both use 'The force" but they use it for wildly different purposes and towards very different aims. In the same way you don't get corruption just by having sex in the game, certain instances of sex does cause corruption.

Cait's Religion -> Promotes passion, not just for sex but for love and the arts. The religion is considered a positive force for culture in the world, not just a a promoter of mindless sexing.

Tollus's Cult -> Has explicit interest in using corrupting sex to amass power, and shows a disregard for consent of the inhabitants of the areas where the cult has interest. Is interested in collaborating with an otherworldly demon that wants to use that corrupting sex to extract souls as an energy source.

They're about the same as someone who only invests in renewable energies versus someone who only invests in arms manufacturers.

LazyAJ

May 14, 2023
Hey now, you can like investing in both renewables and arms manufacturers! (I am the average r/NonCredibleDefense poster)

The Jedi/Sith comparison is pretty damn good though.

Reactions: Medge

sarvu2543

Jul 6, 2016
Tollus's cult is not "just" a sex cult thats equivalent to the Mallachites. Silly as it seems, think of the Jedi vs the sith. They both use 'The force" but they use it for wildly different purposes and towards very different aims. In the same way you don't get corruption just by having sex in the game, certain instances of sex does cause corruption.

Cait's Religion -> Promotes passion, not just for sex but for love and the arts. The religion is considered a positive force for culture in the world, not just a a promoter of mindless sexing.

Tollus's Cult -> Has explicit interest in using corrupting sex to amass power, and shows a disregard for consent of the inhabitants of the areas where the cult has interest. Is interested in collaborating with an otherworldly demon that wants to use that corrupting sex to extract souls as an energy source.

They're about the same as someone who only invests in renewable energies versus someone who only invests in arms manufacturers.
that's actually the best reply and answer ive seen so far on this topic, thanks for sharing this, but then again I am a star wars nerd and literally used sith and jedi concepts to help give people IRL advice lol.