D23 Trailer for Kingdom Hearts 3

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
The part near the beginning with the cannons reminds me of Trigun.

Edit: You think there'll be a Star Wars section? What do you guys think of it? Yea or nay?

Last edited:

Ch0w

Apr 12, 2017
Edit: You think there'll be a Star Wars section? What do you guys think of it? Yea or nay?
What cannons? you mean the keyblade shooting?
i just wonder why would that remind you of Trigun with so many other things to compare to it lol

Star Wars has too many lingering license problems to deal between Disney and EA after LucasArts soldout. So i say nay, but i'd love it.
Marvel on other hand, we already have Big Hero 6 confirmed so we may have more from that side of the spectrum.
Same with Pixar, who's to say there will be only Toy Story from them in KH3?

Number13

Aug 26, 2015

Haven't seen Trigun, so I don't know about that.

About Star Wars, I doubt it will be used. If it is it would likely be elements used in another world, like having a character or ship appear in a Treasure Planet world if they do one.

Likely the same with Marvel. Although they have Big Hero 6 that is much easier to use than the rest of the Marvel universe, as they only need to use the Disney movie by Roy Conli to base the concept of that world. The mainstream Marvel universe is much more complicated, as they have the Cinematic universe, the different comics, games, etc. A Cameo of a character, like Thor visiting Olympus Colosseum, is more likely.

Of course I'm just speculating so I don't know.

With Toy Story involved this allows all the Pixar movies to potentially be used for KH3. I feel The Incredibles would be unlikely however, as they have Big Hero 6 to fit the Superhero concept. It could be used for Kingdom Hearts 4 however.

Klaptrap

Aug 27, 2015
Somebody explain the KH story to me, please.

I mean there's this key which locks things (Worlds? Dimensions?) and there's Darkness which is bad but not always and there's Light which is good but not always and if you get swallowed up by the Darkness you turn into a Heartless but also a Nobody but also something else and time travel and memory fuckery might be involved somehow?

And there's Mickey. I like Mickey.

djunk101

Oct 6, 2015

I mean there's this key which locks things (Worlds? Dimensions?) and there's Darkness which is bad but not always and there's Light which is good but not always and if you get swallowed up by the Darkness you turn into a Heartless but also a Nobody but also something else and time travel and memory fuckery might be involved somehow?

The story of KH is convuluted BS. All you really need to know is the games themselves are fun and the characters are likable.

Number13

Aug 26, 2015

It's a bit hard to explain in a short answer, mostly because there is around 4-5 games that have important story points and a couple of other games (2 DS games turned into CGI movies) which has a couple of important points.

Luckily the entire collection (except the Mobile game, which you don't have to worry about at this point) is on PS4 in two games (KH 1.5-2.5 contains 4 games and the two CGI movies mention above and KH 2.8 contains 1 game, 1 CGI movie and 1 short game viewed as a preview of KH3).

And Mickey is good.

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016

K, here's some of the basics:

Regarding the setting, the Kingdom Hearts universe is composed of many different dimensions, or "worlds", all liked together.
The universe itself is like a living thing, complete with a heart. This is known as "Kingdom Hearts", and is an object of pure light and a source of unimaginable power and knowledge.

As for the Keyblades, basically they are artifacts that can open or close any lock or door; including the ones that allow travel between worlds. They kind of have a mind of their own, and "choose", their wielder. They also posses massive amounts of power, and are the only things capable of effectively combating the Heartless and Nobodies.

You see, in the Kingdom Hearts universe, every being is composed of three parts; the body, the soul, and the heart, and all hearts have both light and darkness inside them. However, if a heart is consumed by its inner darkness or somehow stolen, it turns into a Heartless; a creature whose sole purpose and desire is to steal other people's hearts to spread their numbers and eventually consume worlds.

As for the body and soul, most of the time, after the heart is wretched away, the two simply wither and fade. However, if the will of the soul is strong enough, it can take control of the body and become reborn as a Nobody. These creatures are literally hollow shells of their former selves; they remeber extremely little, if anything, of their past existence, and with no heart, the are incapable of truly feeling emotions. They can't collect hearts or corrupt other like Heartless can, and have no real purpose or meaning. They are neither dark, nor light. They are an anomaly; something that was never meant to exist, but through shear will, managed to do so.

Most Nobodies are little different than Heartless, and simply act on instinct, like animals. But some extremely powerful Nobodies can retain their sentience, and even their human form. These Nobodies have gathered together and formed Organization 13, and seek to replace the hearts they have lost, by any means necessary. And with the power to control Heartless and lesser Nobodies, they are a massive threat to any who wish to keep the peace.

Another thing is that some beings can actually control the darkness in them, and use it to their advantage. These beings posses immense power, can control Heartless, and even steal hearts from others. Maleficent (from Sleeping Beauty) and Pete are two such individuals, and use the power of darkness for their own evil deeds.

Now, the main character, Sora, is a boy who was chosen by a Keyblade and wrapped up in all this crazy hullabaloo, and now fights along King Mickey, Donald Duck, Goofy, and many other Disney characters to keep the darkness at bay and maintain the balance between dark and light.

Last edited:

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
Speaking of balance, I should probably go into further detail on the two greatest forces in Kingdom Hearts: darkness and light.

Darkness is a force of evil and chaos, and seeks only to envelope and consume all things. Light, on the other hand, is a force or order and life, and exists to keep the darkness at bay and bring life to the worlds. These two forces exist in the hearts of every living being in the Kingdom Hearts universe, and though they may be opposing forces, they need each other. You can't have light without darkness, and darkness cannot exist without light.

Now, note that at no point did I use the words "good" or "bad while describing these forces. This is because it is entirely possible for the power of light and darkness to be used for either good or evil.

For example, there are those who have much darkness in their hearts, to the point where they are at risk of being consumed. However, if they can overcome it, they can use the power of darkness for whatever they wish. Maleficent and Pete are living examples of this. However, the power can also be used for good.

On the other hand, if one manages to gather enough hearts, or a heart of immense strength, they can use the light in them to gain unimaginable power. And said being may not have good intentions.

( I'm not going into Any more detail on this topic because it would cause MASSIVE spoilers for the games, and didn't want to risk it in case you want to play them. For more details, just consult Google.)

Last edited:

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015

It's just Star Wars except Sora is Luke, Mickey is Obi-Wan, Donald and Goofy are the droids, and Xehanort is Darth Vader. It's a bit more complicated than that, but honestly it's not that much more complicated than that.

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
It's just Star Wars except Sora is Luke, Mickey is Obi-Wan, Donald and Goofy are the droids, and Xehanort is Darth Vader. It's a bit more complicated than that, but honestly it's not that much more complicated than that.
No way, dude! Mickey is more like Yoda (short, wise, and insanely powerful) , Donald and Goofy are more like Han and Chewy, and Xehanort is totally the Emperor! If anyone is comparable to Vader, it would be Roxas and/or Riku.

Kei

Aug 29, 2015
It will be out sometime this century. I am not holding my breath.

djunk101

Oct 6, 2015
It will be out sometime this century. I am not holding my breath.

It always seems weird to me when people say stuff like this. The game only started development about 3 years ago, which isn't that long for of a development time.

Kei

Aug 29, 2015
They had already started teasing concepts as early as 2006 and while no earnest confirmation came until 2013, they milked it to hell with more addendums to the franchise, extra chapters, trailers, spin-offs and small animations over the years while pushing working on the proper game for as long as they could get away with it. Seriously... was there ever a franchised milked as hard, ported as much or "upgraded" as often?

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
Mario? Final Fantasy (as much as I like IV, I lost count of how many ports it has)? Castlevania, perhaps?

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
Even if we don't count re-hashes for Nintendo systems, Mario games have been releaased for arcades and Donkey Kong (which featured Jumpman) games were released for many home systems. And then there's Hotel Mario, Super Mario Run...