Current version of Carnal Souls?

Don Kiwi

Oct 12, 2015
So I've not been following the development of "Carnal Souls for a while and decided to check it out again yesterday, and ,of course, with my luck, it's exactly the time where the server is down for a not specified amount of time. So if any of you had the current version of it that would be great.+

I hope talking about the game here isn't against any unwritten rules considering, that, from what I could gather fen's stance on the game and it's dev team isn't the most positive since Gedan left (was thrown out?).

Thanks in advance guys!

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
Considering it's been going for a year, and the only thing I remember seeing from them was a proof-of-concept character creation screen... Can't say I'm holding my breath for the project.

Chris_

Dec 7, 2016
I also tried to see how the project was going a few days ago, and the developer's website was down.
I always thought this was a curious project. The team won nearly 50.000 of IndieGoGo's initial funding. And they were asking for 5000 in Patreon to devote themselves totally to the project.
This all for a game that does not look very different from other games. I never understood why they demanded so much support and funding. It's at least curious... When other developers do similar jobs with less funding.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
Not to mention, it's flex-funded, which means they get the money despite not hitting their goal.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
There is no "current version." There are a couple of proof-of-concept builds out there, but the actual "game" has 0 content actually written for it.

Don Kiwi

Oct 12, 2015
Okay, thanks for the information I wasn't aware it was coming along so slowly/not at all. Honestly, it's kinda sad. It's rare to see fantasy smut games that aren't just RPG maker crap (exceptions, of course, are Overwhored and Harem) or unfinished RAGS projects. that makes me want to check on Seeds of chaos again.

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
It does v. much seem like another one of those "eyes bigger than their stomachs" projects that were fired up and ready to do a "professional" job of it until they actually got into it and found out that it's tough to write your own game from scratch - not just technically but managing a team with any efficiency or discipline.

The advantage of stuff like RPG Maker, even if a lot of people don't put all that much effort into it, is that a lot of those technical issues are already resolved so a single person or small team can at least push out a demo and -then- abandon it when their interest and work ethic fade.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
It does v. much seem like another one of those "eyes bigger than their stomachs" projects that were fired up and ready to do a "professional" job of it until they actually got into it and found out that it's tough to write your own game from scratch - not just technically but managing a team with any efficiency or discipline.

The advantage of stuff like RPG Maker, even if a lot of people don't put all that much effort into it, is that a lot of those technical issues are already resolved so a single person or small team can at least push out a demo and -then- abandon it when their interest and work ethic fade.

They've had what... over a year to present anything playable? Could atleast preview stuff that's WIP, put up screenshots of progress or release artwork to show that they're still working on it.

Chris_

Dec 7, 2016
They've had what... over a year to present anything playable? Could atleast preview stuff that's WIP, put up screenshots of progress or release artwork to show that they're still working on it.

And finally, what is being done with all the funding thrown at them from the beginning until now...
It may be a trivial question, but I believe it must be asked.

IvoryOwl

Sep 1, 2015
I remember reading they were facing some financial issues after the Brexit, the devalue of their coin made them request extra money to compensate for the losses and it was during this time they updated their Patreon, asking for 5k a month to keep themselves fully committed to the game. They also stated that if things continued as they were they would have to find real jobs and leave the Carnal Souls as side hobby. I chuckled a little - if this is how fast they work while being "committed" to the project then I cannot imagine how slow things will get if they ever decide to switch development priorities.

Last I heard they uploaded some images of an hexagon-like map tiles, not that different from Civ games but still no demo or WIP release for people to try. Honestly, the whole project seemed too ambitious for its breeches... and the fact they took so goddamn long to do ANYTHING further reinforced the point it was going to end up in a disaster. I wouldn't be surprised if the devs ran off with the money at this point but what pisses me off in all this is that they left their Patreon page open... probably trying to milk a dying cow to her last drop.

EDIT:
UPDATE TAKEN FROM THEIR PATREON PAGE (9 - DEC - 2016):
"Hey guys,

Really sorry for the quiet recently. We're literally just waiting for Crimson's hosting service to respond to his support ticket so that we can get it back online. Fingers crossed they respond soon because it's getting a bit ridiculous.

It's also been a bit hectic for me, since my mum's getting married today. I'm writing this just a couple hours before we're leaving to the ceremony. There has been some coding progress on the game, which I plan to update you guys with soon (I'd hoped to wait and include it in the forum bi-weekly update, but I may just post it here in the interim).

Making this post public so everyone can see what the deal is currently."

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris_

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
They've had what... over a year to present anything playable?
It has indeed been almost exactly a year. I am very saddened and disappointed by this kind of progress. It feels like everything they've done since the Indigogo campaign should have been done before ever taking anybody's money. They should have had a playable demo ready to go -- not vague ideas about the game they want to make. As far as I know, BNG hadn't even written a word of smut when the campaign started. And they abandoned all the work Gedan had done and started over from scratch on the actual code front, with someone new who'd never worked in smutgames before.

There's a reason FenCo pulled our backing from the game when Geddy left. This is it. I wish I had any confidence that anything would ever come from Carnal Souls, but...

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
I remember reading they were facing some financial issues after the Brexit, the devalue of their coin made them request extra money to compensate for the losses. It was during this time they updated their Patreon, requesting 5k a month to keep themselves fully committed to the game. They also stated that if things continued as they were they would have to find real jobs and leave the Carnal Souls as side hobby. Last I heard they uploaded some images of an hexagon-like map tiles, not that different from Civ games but still no demo or WIP release for people to try. Honestly, the whole project seemed to ambitious for its breeches... and the fact they took so goddamn long to do ANYTHING further reinforced the point it was going to end up in a disaster. I wouldn't be surprised if the devs ran off with the money but its a bit of a kick in the nuts that they didn't close Patreon either... probably trying to milk a dying cow to her last drop.

I don't think they ran with the money, I just they squandered it, and had unrealistic expectations as to how time-consuming and wrought with difficulty making a game actually is. And you're right that the project was too big for the crew they had.

Chris_

Dec 7, 2016
I remember reading they were facing some financial issues after the Brexit, the devalue of their coin made them request extra money to compensate for the losses and it was during this time they updated their Patreon, asking for 5k a month to keep themselves fully committed to the game. They also stated that if things continued as they were they would have to find real jobs and leave the Carnal Souls as side hobby. I chuckled a little - if this is how fast they work while being "committed" to the project then I cannot imagine how slow things will get if they ever decide to switch development priorities.

Last I heard they uploaded some images of an hexagon-like map tiles, not that different from Civ games but still no demo or WIP release for people to try. Honestly, the whole project seemed too ambitious for its breeches... and the fact they took so goddamn long to do ANYTHING further reinforced the point it was going to end up in a disaster. I wouldn't be surprised if the devs ran off with the money at this point but what pisses me off in all this is that they left their Patreon page open... probably trying to milk a dying cow to her last drop."

It is sad to see a promising project fall apart that way before releasing anything significant.
Faced with all this I no longer see how this project can work.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
It really wasn't promising. They might have PROMISED alot of things, but... well, the rest is clear as a crisp spring morning. (There are projects in the "Other Adult Games" and "Showcase" forums that have regular updates and smaller budgets.)

Chris_

Dec 7, 2016
BNG is the project head, as well as its only writer and artist, as well as lead designer (as far as I know).

Ohhh...? That said, I now think how such a small team intended to do as many great things as they said.
I should have seen that this project would be a "very heavy load" for that little team. (Or maybe very ambitious?)

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I'd expect it to end up as a smut version of No Man's Sky.

jarllee97

Jun 13, 2016
Can't say I'm too intrested in it. While the concept sounds good I didn't like how they Geddy when they started with them. They were given a big chance when fen gave them a shout out but they just took fen and Geddy for granted.
The game could be great but it's hard to like something when you know the people making it are kindof dicks. :p

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Can't say I'm too intrested in it. While the concept sounds good I didn't like how they Geddy when they started with them. They were given a big chance when fen gave them a shout out but they just took fen and Geddy for granted.
The game could be great but it's hard to like something when you know the people making it are kindof dicks. :p
Can't blame them. Hiring someone who already has a job with a huge backlog is a bad idea.

Chris_

Dec 7, 2016
All this makes me think about their situation.
But think about it. It was said that Brexit devalued its currency and damaged its economy.

So the living costs increase. If they are not getting enough funding from Patreon to maintain the project.
Or get a job or use financing money to support yourself.

But I begin to question myself about their reliability from the start.

Chris_

Dec 7, 2016
One day, in the past, it really looked impressive.

Because they had the funds to do something good.

Someone

Nov 10, 2016
This talk got me curious, so I started looking around a bit. One of the first things I found was their Twitter page. Apparently they released v0.0.2 back in August (I'd assume that it was just the character creator thing, but the message comes with a picture of a fight against a werewolf dude. Edit: Yeah, the Character Creator was released back in March. Five months of work in v0.0.2? I hope so.), and they've put out 7 updates since then. No idea what's actually in those builds, and unfortunately I can't check because they're on their forum. Which is on their website. Which is down for a server migration, I guess. Went down just a couple weeks ago, on the 30th. Last post was about 16 hours ago, said that the site should be back up within a day or two. If/when that happens, you can go check out their progress for yourself, I guess.

I'm kind of relieved no one else thought to check their Twitter to see what they've been up to. Makes me feel special.

CpVT9yEXEAAUhcY.jpg:large

If this is what y'all meant by proof-of-concept, I'mma be annoyed. If this turns out to be bullshit and they really don't have anything, I'mma be double annoyed.

PS: Found that hexagon thing IvoryOwl mentioned. That shit was released back in June, boi.

Last edited:

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
This talk got me curious, so I started looking around a bit. One of the first things I found was their Twitter page. Apparently they released v0.0.2 back in August (I'd assume that it was just the character creator thing, but the message comes with a picture of a fight against a werewolf dude. Sorry, a "Feral Canen" dude.), and they've put out 7 updates since then. No idea what's actually in those builds, and unfortunately I can't check because they're on their forum. Which is on their website. Which is down for a server migration, I guess. Went down just a couple weeks ago, on the 30th. Last post was about 16 hours ago, said that the site should be back up within a day or two. If/when that happens, you can go check out their progress for yourself, I guess.

I'm kind of relieved no one else thought to check their Twitter to see what they've been up to. Makes me feel special.

CpVT9yEXEAAUhcY.jpg:large

If this is what y'all meant by proof-of-concept, I'mma be annoyed. If this turns out to be bullshit and they really don't have anything, I'mma be double annoyed.

Nobody has come forward about any other builds being available, so... this is all we have to go on. Oh, and this is pretty much what a "proof of concept" is. If they had, say... 10 fights, implented magical attacks and added a few pages of dialogue, maybe I would call it an alpha.