Current optimal Black Mage Build?

Coalsack

Aug 28, 2015
As for equipment, powers and everything else. Also what companions have the best synergy with a BM player?

My last build did...decent by the most part, but became pitiful on the Rift.

sumgai

Jul 17, 2017
Control Rod + Fox Jewel

Currently I use Mirror Stance (probably gonna change that out after I'm sure I learn all the available moves up there), Grease, Fire Ball, Summon Flame Warrior and either Banish or Inspiration. Unbreakable if I'm worried about running into Jotuns.

Coalsack

Aug 28, 2015
Control Rod + Fox Jewel

Currently I use Mirror Stance (probably gonna change that out after I'm sure I learn all the available moves up there), Grease, Fire Ball, Summon Flame Warrior and either Banish or Inspiration. Unbreakable if I'm worried about running into Jotuns.

Nice, what companions are best? I usually have Brint and either Arona or Quin. Also, what are you recommendations on armor?

sumgai

Jul 17, 2017
Nice, what companions are best? I usually have Brint and either Arona or Quin. Also, what are you recommendations on armor?

I like running Ryn in her healing set + Kiyoko. Kiyoko's default power suite synergies fairly well too. Blessed + Greases Crit Fireballs are fun. However, you're gonna be SUPER glass cannony. You might want to have Inspiration if you go up against a gang of Cultists and there's two Temptresses. If you want to go for a Resolve focus team, switch out your powers and give the Champ Greater Heal and try Atuiga and Quin or Atuiga and Azzy. Or Quin and Azzy if you're feeling bold. Honey Maiden Azzy is still stronk, even after the sexiness nerf.

Kiyoko's Kami-no-Michi is pretty damn useful too, and one of them makes her more tanky. With Mirror Stance and Karmic Retribution, you can do a good bit of damage from the enemies own attacks. Actually, all of Kiyoko's sets are useful, give them a spin.

Jotuns are freaking tough, don't worry if you feel like you HAVE to run. No shame in leaving a battle that isn't to your advantage.

As for armor, Dueling Hat/Everblossom Hood, Cloak of Winter, Apprentice Robes, Senninbari, Royal Gloves and Leather boots (lol). Mare's Ring and Lucky Strike for rings. I'm not a super optimizer.

Last edited:

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
Though I suspect my black mage build is not optimal at all, I rarely have problems with it other than facing the jötnar and (if the battle drags on for whichever reason) the glacial rift demons. My Champion is focused on Tease, but has some other options for offense and healing. Usually, I run a Mirror Stance/Great Heal-Ray of Frost-Shatter-Song of Splendor-Revive/Inspiration build and use this gear. Apparently, Control Rod+Rosebloom Shield may work well.

Normally, I go with Cait and Quin, who can be replaced with Azzy or Brint.

Everblossom Hood
Where can you find it? (I can't get the Control Rod event to proc either.)

Last edited:

sumgai

Jul 17, 2017
Re: The Control Rod

You get it from talking to Kinu, not Kiyoko after her paralouge event. I think a day or so has to pass.

Reactions: Kesil

QTPie

Mar 20, 2020
The wiki is super behind right now. Granted, the guy who usually works on it does it all on his own time, but if I remember correctly that’s also partially the Wiki’s admin not allowing anybody except this one guy to do any moderation on account of when they did allow free editing the TiTS wiki essentially turned into a Turkish advertising board.

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
The wiki is super behind right now. Granted, the guy who usually works on it does it all on his own time, but if I remember correctly that’s also partially the Wiki’s admin not allowing anybody except this one guy to do any moderation on account of when they did allow free editing the TiTS wiki essentially turned into a Turkish advertising board.
Efes.jpg