Corruption of Champions (RPG Maker Version)

Should CoC have an RPG Maker Version?

• Yes

Votes: 104 69.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 30.7%

• Total voters

Sire Eclipticunt

Jun 21, 2017
Has anyone found or are willing to make 1? If no to both then if I can I'll try to go learn how to use RPG Maker and make it from scratch. Why waste my time and energy doing something of that nature you ask? Because fuck you, that's why. I'm kidding so don't go get upset over that. Seriously though, if I get enough support I might decide to do it just for the sake of it.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
Personally, I absolutely hate RPGMaker. Most people I've ever seen using it have no sense of a difficulty curve, and way too many art assets get reused. It's basically like all those Asset Flip Unity engine games.

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
What? Why? No.

Ignoring that RPGmaker is a system with its own set up values to produce a certain type of game and CoC has its own tables of values etc etc for parser stuff alone, as well as a need for artwork which lol, it's a monumentus amount of work just so you can run around an empty world.

Reactions: A79

Ezzy

May 27, 2017
Brazil
Gotta agree with Ted there.

RPGMaker isn't all that great of an engine, you'll have to be creative to not be categorized as a "just another crappy RPGMaker game".
Sorry if it's a kind of a rude comment of my part, but that's the overall quality of games that I've seen so far that were made using this engine.

Callac

Nov 28, 2016
Wouldn't Ren'py be more malleable? Though making it flash player independent might be a good move.

And a control-by-keyboard mod like in T.i.t.s. would be nice.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Only thing to rebuild CoC I see may be attempt to make it in html (thou looking on remaking Revamp is either Kitteh keep getting distracted or it's not so easy to be done that way).

Ezzy

May 27, 2017
Brazil
Rags is a really old engine, that might be why it doesn't work on Mac.
Besides, I've never seen a Rags game outside of tfgamessite.com so I'll take it isn't used that much nowadays.

chaincat

Mar 30, 2016
RPG maker isn't good for an open-ended game. Also it would undermine a good bit of CoC's design philosophy.

Nyseron

Sep 28, 2016
RPG Maker isn't that bad.
Some people just don't know how to use it.

Still. An RPG Maker version of CoC would be extremely difficult.
How would you even do sex scenes?

orcsoul

Nov 22, 2015
VX/VX Ace certainly lack the extensible nature needed to accommodate something of the gameplay nature of CoC... MV however would be a much more capable platform given what I've seen can be done with it, but I think it too would suffer from a great many limitations that would detract from much of what is currently possible in good 'ole flash CoC unless you have the time and skill to make the custom modules to implement some of those changes.

Plus (this will mean next to nothing for those not already developmentally inclined) VX/VX Ace use Ruby as the underlying code platform (ewwww!) whereas MV uses Javascript (less ewwww!) and MV allows you much greater levels of flexibility in customizing the engine to your specific needs whereas the VX framework is generally more rigid and allows reduced flexibility/customization by comparison.

jaimd

Jul 12, 2017
Gotta agree with Ted there.

RPGMaker isn't all that great of an engine, you'll have to be creative to not be categorized as a "just another crappy RPGMaker game".
Sorry if it's a kind of a rude comment of my part, but that's the overall quality of games that I've seen so far that were made using this engine.

You didnt play dhux scar for me the best original rpg maker game of all time you just play it you will not regret it find the english version the original is in spanish

Or the other i reccomend is El Caballero from albarji productions it has a long story. It use the original assets but it has a very good story and a ton of players to play and a lot of secrets

LordGray

Nov 11, 2016
Not really worth the effort in changing CoC into an RPG maker game unless you're going to put in the work yourself and just wanted to see the response to it.

malgrumm

Aug 18, 2017
Rags is a really old engine, that might be why it doesn't work on Mac.
Besides, I've never seen a Rags game outside of tfgamessite.com so I'll take it isn't used that much nowadays.
Rags CAN'T run on Mac....it needs the .net 2.0 framework or greater and that's a Windows only thing.

Azgol

Mar 26, 2016
in my personal experience with the Rpgmaker, I find a very interesting option to create a game based on CoC, and my vote is in favor, however I must add that for the one who takes charge of the project, he must have experience in programming ( in ruby for example) otherwise it will be very limited in the options and the result in the best case will be a bad job. and it is not that the Rpgmaker does not work to make these types of games, it is quite the opposite, I have seen good and bad games made with that engine, and this I have to say: a good game is not about making big maps or putting several figures to move, with the rpgmaker anyone can, it is difficult to put new mechanics as being able to use lust as a different variable to win or lose, or to correctly declare the behavior of characters such as Katherine or Amily, whose attitude may vary every action of the player, this is possible in Rpgmaker, but it is not at all easy.

Jul 30, 2017
Has anyone found or are willing to make 1? If no to both then if I can I'll try to go learn how to use RPG Maker and make it from scratch. Why waste my time and energy doing something of that nature you ask? Because fuck you, that's why. I'm kidding so don't go get upset over that. Seriously though, if I get enough support I might decide to do it just for the sake of it.
That is a good idea and all, but you should work out the details first before you decide to make it and also if you aren't that good and/or can't draw at all for what the characters and environment to look like, it might be a good to look for someone who can take care of that part, next you'll need to decide if RPG Maker will actually work because sometimes the game engine just won't do. Then you need to spend some time coming up with how it will look from the characters, to the environment, to the battles, then you need to have milestones to set up, this lets you know how much progress you are have done and how much is left. Now I know that's a lot and I commend you on wanting to make a visual CoC, but think about all the work, time and in some cases money when you want to make a video game, and that's the reality of it. Also you should take a look at extra credit videos on youtube to let you also know a little bit about what it takes to make a video game.

Reactions: wallpaper

DarkPhoenix

Oct 21, 2018
Wouldn't Ren'py be more malleable? Though making it flash player independent might be a good move.

That would be my thought as well. Although there would still be graphical requirements, the Visual Novel style is closer to what CoC already IS, and would thus fit a remake much better. Also, thanks to the new dungeon engine used in games like Sakura Dungeon, I'd bet that the game dungeons and battle stuff could be fleshed out much better.

I actually thought about an RPG Maker version of CoC before, but most of the statements here are right; it's too different compared to what RPG Maker was designed for to work. It'd probably end up more like the disaster that is Monster Girl Quest Paradox...

lightningshifter

Aug 27, 2015
That would be my thought as well. Although there would still be graphical requirements, the Visual Novel style is closer to what CoC already IS, and would thus fit a remake much better. Also, thanks to the new dungeon engine used in games like Sakura Dungeon, I'd bet that the game dungeons and battle stuff could be fleshed out much better.

I actually thought about an RPG Maker version of CoC before, but most of the statements here are right; it's too different compared to what RPG Maker was designed for to work. It'd probably end up more like the disaster that is Monster Girl Quest Paradox...

RPG Maker can be used to craft fun games when the creators put the time and effort into actually making unique content for their game. This doesn't necessarily just limit itself to fancy images or overlays either. Some of these clever creators actually write up some clever mechanics that add to the gameplay in various ways. But honestly, it would take a lot longer to craft a good adaptation of this text-based game over to an rpg maker format. There's so many things that could pose a challenge in that medium that its probably safer to say that its just best not to count on anyone actually doing this.

Don't get me wrong, I think it could be done right if the right people and effort went into the project.

LillieVela

Oct 16, 2018
This may seem like the best option but Unity3D or another 3D type game would work alot better, Tho harder to create.

Argustheseer

Jan 18, 2016
It could be doable, however it would need to be re imagined somewhat, similar to games like Baulder's Gate or dragon age, where you pick the locations from maps and then each one is a smaller region.

Instead of random chances for events, each event would be a physical item or enemy, perhaps with a random chance to appear at all and the 'empty' feeling of a world could be managed by making the regional maps varied and interesting. Good map design that gives an impression of a living, breathing, world can go a long way to keeping away the feeling of emptiness, even if the only purpose is to get the player from point A to point B.

The weird one would be the initial Explore option... for that it might honestly be best to have some transitional maps that exist around the map for the player's base or take the random encounters and add them to other maps as extra events.

Combat would have to be tweaked, either rewritten from the ground up code side to match CoC, or simply treated the same as RPGmaker with similar names and such being kept... at the very least the whole lust angle to combat would have to be implemented.

Lastly, and this is huge, you would need art assets... lots of them. To make this a truly worthwhile remake, you would need custom sprite work to represent the player (while a lot of options are available in the RPG Maker MV character maker, you'd need to add other options) along with full character sprite sheets: Walking, battle, etc, for the npcs that join you on a couple of outings and combat.

and at the very minimum you would need custom battle sprites for each and every monster you'd fight.

What would make the idea shine and work however, is the sex art... still panels for wins and losses, with the text from the original game showing up along with sound effects. There are hundreds of rather well put together RPGMaker H-Games that use similar techniques and it's very doable... but insanely asset heavy.

Which brings me to the elephant in the room... the Transformations.

To make this truly worthy as a remake, you would have to account for nearly every TF item in the game and have it be visually represented... you would need a full-fledged version of the character viewer, with all the growths, shrinkages, additions and weirdness that CoC has in it.

You can cheat a little with the character sprite, but you would need a screen to show your champion in all their warped and mutated glory.

This again, is doable, but resource intensive... and you would absolutely have to have upper limits of what you could represent with it. It's one thing to describe a swirling mass of mutated multispecies cocks backed by watermelon sized gonads, but to try and draw it... the physics of it make it difficult.

So yes, doing a proper CoC remake as an RPG maker title could and would be worth while if done correctly, but it would be insanely resource intensive to do it justice.

Reactions: Zatrian