Companions and supporting characters Voices

Falken_Moonlight

Jul 18, 2022
Floof land
Like the title is written, how do you think each character sounds like? Does anyone have an example by linking a Video or music? And how does kiyoko’s “Flute-like voice” sounds like specifically?

TheShepard256

I know exactly what I think each character sounds like, but explaining those thoughts is hard for me to do. Here's my best shot:
  • Champ's voice is whatever the player wants it to be.
  • Cait has a foreign accent, probably vaguely Middle-Eastern (same for other Jassirans). Also somewhat bimbo-y in pitch and tone.
  • Brint sounds exactly like Iron Bull from Dragon Age: Inquisition. Other southern minotaurs have the same or similar accent.
  • Ryn have a Swedish accent. Other boer'alvar have various nothern European accents, with Njorhaalt denizens having lighter accents and the druids having heavier ones.
  • Kiyoko and most other kitsune have a Japanese accent, the exceptions being Miko and Mai (Southern US), and Kohaku (similar to Cait, but more contralto or mezzo-soprano). Kiyoko herself has a very light and air-y voice, as if she could speak entirely in poetry and it wouldn't sound weird at all.
  • Carmen has a British RP accent (the good-sounding version, not the shrill-sounding version).
  • Kasyrra has a Brooklyn accent (I think; if it's not Brooklyn specifically, it's still definitely some type of New Yorker accent).

TheGoldenMeme

Nov 19, 2021
your mom's house
I know exactly what I think each character sounds like, but explaining those thoughts is hard for me to do. Here's my best shot:
  • Champ's voice is whatever the player wants it to be.
  • Cait has a foreign accent, probably vaguely Middle-Eastern (same for other Jassirans). Also somewhat bimbo-y in pitch and tone.
  • Brint sounds exactly like Iron Bull from Dragon Age: Inquisition. Other southern minotaurs have the same or similar accent.
  • Ryn have a Swedish accent. Other boer'alvar have various nothern European accents, with Njorhaalt denizens having lighter accents and the druids having heavier ones.
  • Kiyoko and most other kitsune have a Japanese accent, the exceptions being Miko and Mai (Southern US), and Kohaku (similar to Cait, but more contralto or mezzo-soprano). Kiyoko herself has a very light and air-y voice, as if she could speak entirely in poetry and it wouldn't sound weird at all.
  • Carmen has a British RP accent (the good-sounding version, not the shrill-sounding version).
  • Kasyrra has a Brooklyn accent (I think; if it's not Brooklyn specifically, it's still definitely some type of New Yorker accent).
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who think Cait and the other Jassirans speak in an accent.

Also... why does Kasyrra have a Brooklyn accent?

TheShepard256

Also... why does Kasyrra have a Brooklyn accent?
I'm not entirely sure. I'm no expert on accents, so I could easily be misidentifying exactly which accent I think Kas has - though I'm pretty certain it's from one of the big US cities, at least. My best guess as to my own reasoning, at least on a subconscious level, goes like this:
In much the same way as Americans view British RP, I think the more noticeable American accents sound like "bad guy" accents to me by default, but heroic characters can still have them, so they're not exclusively "bad guy" accents - Kasyrra is the main antagonist but has some sympathetic qualities, so such a "bad guy by default but not exclusively" accent would suit her. As for Brooklyn/New Yorker specifically, she's very smart and tech-positive, so a southern US/redneck accent would be inappropriate; an urban accent would fit much better.
Funnily enough, I actually think Syri has a similar accent, or a lighter version of the same accent. I guess "aggressive-sounding/cocky without actually intending harm" might also be a factor.

Last edited: