Combat mechanics

Shinespark

Sep 4, 2017
Melee damage dealt is based on physique.
Ranged damage dealt is based on aim.
Accuracy (from weapons/items) is a damage bonus. Like, having better accuracy and being able to hit someone in the face would deal more damage than having low accuracy and hitting someone in the foot. Accuracy is a constent bonus.
Crit is damage bonus, but happens with luck. So, not constent.

Do I get it right? Looking in the wiki, it seems stats are working that way.

My question is, is there something that decides if the attack connects with the enemy? Like, is there a stat, that if too much low, will make you swing your melee weapon (or shooting your gun) next to an enemy and missing them?

Is it the same for melee and ranged? Is it better to focus on a single type of attack, either melee or either ranged?

Edit: Or can you easily run a build using both a melee and ranged weapons?

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Accuracy is accuracy. You either hit or miss. I can't even put into words how wrong you are makes me feel. And I don't mean that in an aggressive way, but really that's a large lapse in definition.

Lancer

Nov 1, 2016
Wait, the wiki says accuracy is a damage bonus?
Accuracy
Attack bonus as a percent of the melee or ranged damage dealt.

Wth? That seems completely wrong to me. That should be what determines the hit chance.

Anyway, I'd say it's better to focus on one weapon type, as you can reach far greater damage outputs by getting all of the perks for that type. Having a decent weapon for both ranged and melee is recommended though, as there will be enemies that are immune or mostly immune to one or the other. You can take perks for both, it won't be the end of you, but you'll never be as efficient compared to only taking one.

Shinespark

Sep 4, 2017
Yeah, I also found it weird that accuracy would be a damage bonus. But hey, it's written in the wiki. So what I said at the beginning is how I figured accuracy would be a damage bonus. Morale of that? Don't always 100% trust the wiki xD

So, let's start over again.

Physique is both for melee damage and melee accuracy
Aim is both for ranged damage and ranged accuracy
Accuracy bonus is for improved hit chance
Crit is damage bonus

And to reply to Lancer, yeah, focusing on one type of weapon is better. When I said "having a ranged and a melee weapon", I meant investing a little bit in both physique stat and aim stat. So you don't end up having 100 physique and 0 aim. One would get screwed by flying enemies hahahah. I guess one has to invest a little bit of stats in the non-focused weapon type, right?

Lancer

Nov 1, 2016
Ah, well you can train up both stats in the gym without too much trouble, so it's best to not leave any stat behind.

Reactions: Xanfaus