COC and TiTS, Flash Is discontinuing support in 2020.

flashduder

Sep 19, 2018
Due to this. I recommend putting both games onto Newgrounds, or using another program than flash.

Flash will not work following 2020. It's gonna die. And these are some really good lewd games.

JVR

Sep 2, 2018
Well, a quick of Wikipedia reveals:

"Although Flash was previously a dominant platform for online multimedia content, it is slowly being abandoned as Adobe favors a transition to HTML5. Flash Player has been deprecated and has an official end-of-life by 2020. However, Adobe will continue to develop Adobe AIR, a related technology for building stand-alone applications and games."

Hopefully the devs are planning a transition to Adobe AIR.

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
Yeah... but what about all the stuff already on there? Theres over two decades worth of stuff on there! And what about on other sites like furaffinity? And all the other websites and works that use flash? Is it all just going to... disappear?

Cloud0649

Sep 20, 2018
No lmao. Even if Adobe isn't continuing support for it, the format won't just 'disappear'.

To the Newgrounds thing: They've also got a lot of webms on there too iirc, not to mention the art section and etc.. But yeah, most things will probably still be up and available; Adobe no longer continuing Flash isn't a death sentence.

Not So Anonymous

Jun 14, 2016
But... All of Newgrounds' files are Flash.

They've actually supported HTML5 (and while it was still a thing the Unity web plugin) for some time now.

That said, there probably will be a period of a few years where the standalone Flash player will be the only reliable way to play old Flash content. So you can expect lots of people to share that piece of software after it's discontinued. But people are already working on open source WebAsm Flash runtimes, so it's only a matter of time before there's a working replacement (with the possible exception of DRMd flashes).

I still wouldn't make anything new in Flash.

Also, this freakout is about two years late to the party. They announced the end of life for Flash ages ago.

PS. Savin and Co. are already well aware of the death of Flash. That's why CoC2 is HTML5.

cobra

Aug 29, 2015
Is it possible someone or someones make some kind of open-source compatible version of flash?

Sep 13, 2018
Well, I know it would be a herculean task to convert TiTS to HTML5, but I also think it would be good for the devs to share a single codebase for CoC2 and TiTS.

Specially because flash's horizon will probably come waaaaay before TiTS development is finished, and I think it would be a huge quality of life improvement for the devs to maintain a single codebase for engine stuff instead of maintaining 2 whole engines.

Of couse CoC2 is still very early into development and would not make sense to start the transition now, but I think it does make sense in the long run once CoC2 matures a bit more.

Reactions: valkyr42

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
For some reason Standalone Flash Player is one of the best kept secrets on this forum, despite it being mentioned every time someone runs into issues running TiTs on a browser and you know...it not being a secret.

Ch0w

Apr 12, 2017
For some reason Standalone Flash Player is one of the best kept secrets on this forum, despite it being mentioned every time someone runs into issues running TiTs on a browser and you know...it not being a secret.
its also not news anymore that the whole Flash is dying off
i have the flash standalone but never had to use it for it, as it can still run on browsers (dont know why some ppl can't run it)

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
its also not news anymore that the whole Flash is dying off
i have the flash standalone but never had to use it for it, as it can still run on browsers (dont know why some ppl can't run it)
I was never a fan of telling people to enable flash on their browsers. I have flash enabled in mine only because the web management portions of older vmware builds are in flash but for a normal user I don't believe the it's worth the risk for them especially since it's unlikely they'll remember to disable flash in their security settings later on when it's no longer needed.

Ch0w

Apr 12, 2017
I was never a fan of telling people to enable flash on their browsers. I have flash enabled in mine only because the web management portions of older vmware builds are in flash but for a normal user I don't believe the it's worth the risk for them especially since it's unlikely they'll remember to disable flash in their security settings later on when it's no longer needed.

you can pretty much activate for each separate thing in each diferrent website, you wont need to enable it for everything unless you really want to do that.
It also doesnt stay fixed like that unless, again like previously, you mark the option to always have it set that way, but for a normal/ common user that may be hard or look too complex to do i guess?