Character accents

TheShepard256

I imagine:
  • Brint as having the same accent (and voice!) as Iron Bull from Dragon Age, since he's effectively Savarra's version of him; naturally, Brienne and his/her relatives have the same accent, and other Khor'minoans have a similar accent
  • Cait* and most other Jassirans having a vaguely foreign accent, but I can't quite place where exactly from
  • Mikoto and Miyuki having a thick Texan accent, Hatsumomo having a light one
  • Inari Kinu having the same accent as the Champion
  • Other kitsune having a slight Japanese accent
  • Boreal elves having an English accent appropriate to their social class e.g. Ryn, Elthara, Daliza etc. having RP accents
  • Other nobility (Carmen, Evelyn, etc.) also having RP accents
  • Kasyrra having a light American accent
*I also imagine Cait has the same voice as Anno Dorna, but the latter has a more neutral/Galactic Standard accent (or no accent at all).

Lone Wolf115

• Cait* and most other Jassirans having a vaguely foreign accent, but I can't quite place where exactly from
*I also imagine Cait has the same voice as Anno Dorna, but the latter has a more neutral/Galactic Standard accent (or no accent at all).
I can see the no accent but for Cait accent wise I think a slight middle eastern of some sort.

Reactions: BouncingEel8

VerySexyGrammar

Aug 27, 2015
When you read the dialogue of the characters, what accent do you give them? I ask because I realized that I pretty much always default to an American accent rather than what might be more fitting to their background. Curious to know!

I just read the text, there's no voice that goes with it, and thus no accent.

I could think of a voice and accent for each character and imagine them speaking accordingly when I read the text, but it would slow the gameplay down to a crawl...

BouncingEel8

Jul 16, 2021
I just read the text, there's no voice that goes with it, and thus no accent.

I could think of a voice and accent for each character and imagine them speaking accordingly when I read the text, but it would slow the gameplay down to a crawl...
Yeah that's pretty much how it goes for me, I guess I should have said what kind of accent would you imagine they have.

TheShepard256

I can see the no accent but for Cait accent wise I think a slight middle eastern of some sort.
Yeah, if I had to guess the region it came from, that'd be my first pick, with something from north-east Africa being the second; both of those guesses are based on Jassira's IRL inspirations. Then again, I'm not too familiar with most of the world's accents, so YMMV.

Reactions: Lone Wolf115

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
Frost elves have Swedish or Norwegian accents, because that accent is explicitly mentioned in the text of the game (viz. when the Festivus kiddos call the player character "Shampion"). Everything else here is my opinion. It's an informed opinion, but still just that.

Miko and Mai have kansai accents when they speak Floof and rural American accents of similar prestige when they speak Belharan.

Viviane has a New Orleans accent, cher; she's got hoodoo, she's got voodoo, she's got things she ain't even tried!

Atani and the other marefolk have, like, Kalmyk or Ossetian accents. Something steppe without being Mongolian.

Salwah and the Jassirans have Misrii accents. Cait and Barney have the Los Angeles Armenian accent. Yes, that specific one, with the mixture of Armenian syllable stresses and th/d merger and valley girl intonation.

Evelyn has a French accent because Yvennes. Clementine has a Belgian (Walloon) accent because Barania.

Tui has the softest Irish accent ever to the point that it's almost nonexistent.

Arona and the other Kervus are...fuck, I never really settle on anything for them. I guess General American. The other option is some kind of Scottish accent, but I think Arona knows how to say "purple burglar alarm".

The Tychrian manders are all Greek-accented.

Berwyn either has a northern Florida accent or a Southie accent, because he's the butt of a lot of jokes and so are Florida Man and Boston Man.

Garth and a lot of the other Marchers (including the vesparans and harpies) have various shades of German accent. So do a decent number of the Minoans, like Isadora. Many of these also shade into varieties of General American. Brint does FPJ's voice from DA:I, as has been mentioned, because why wouldn't he?

RP and other English accents are only for Tollus and Lady Evergreen because they suck and so do those accents.

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
I seriously hope you're shitposting when you say this. RP is one of the most aurally pleasing accents to me.
"Everything else is my opinion."

Not everybody's opinion about the way voices sound is going to match your opinion.

wery12345

Aug 1, 2021
Yeah the Miko and Mai is what I thought too Kansai in native and southern drawl in bellharan, though I sorta felt like the cats had more indian accents due to the whole sultana and spice stuff, me being a dumbass basically.

BouncingEel8

Jul 16, 2021
Yeah the Miko and Mai is what I thought too Kansai in native and southern drawl in bellharan, though I sorta felt like the cats had more indian accents due to the whole sultana and spice stuff, me being a dumbass basically.
Yeah I was struggling most with the cats as they come from different regions of Jassira, I didn't have a certain IRL region pinned down for an accent compared to, say, the Frost Marches.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
Intellectually I'm tempted to give just about everyone in the Marches some variety of Scandinavian accent because the local nobility use a Norse-derived title (Jarl), the boer'alvar have some obvious influences and the Kervus orcs also have some viking influences, but that's generally not how it 'sounds' in my head.
  • Cait: Something vaguely Arabic-sounding from growing up in Jassira but mixed with a very slight Texan twang. I dunno why, that's just what I hear.
  • Her dad meanwhile sounds exactly like Brian Blessed, because he shouts a lot (and because Savin joked that it is so).
  • Brint/Brienne (and basically everyone from Khor'minos whether they're a mino or not) sounds some flavor of British due to the combination of Roman cultural influence plus years of films sticking the 'Romans sound British' notion in my head. I know it's stupid but I can't get rid of it. That said, I'd mentally confine RP to the nobs and Hirrud (who tries to play the 'My daddy is someone important!' card). I imagine Brint/Brienne and Rina sounding specifically Brummie while I imagine most everyone else sounding like they're from Devon, because that's the accent I've heard the most personally.
  • Carmen sounds like she's trying to do a Christopher Lee impression, because she's a cumpire.
  • Ryn and the rest of the boer'alvar sound Swedish, I can't imagine whose writing might have given me that impression...
  • Evelyn sounds Parisian French, because she's a princess and Yvennes couldn't sound more French if it tried.
  • All the floofs have Japanese-accented English to varying degrees (for example, I imagine Kohaku's accent isn't as heavy because she spends more time outside the den) and their Not-Nihongo is itself accented. Miko and Mai specifically speak broad Kansai-ben (Tobs has confirmed this one) that sounds 'Southern' in translation, I imagine Komari, Kiyoko and Kinu all speak Kyoto-ben, Kohaku sounds specifically Osakan and Hitoshi sounds like he's from Hokkaido.
  • I also imagine Evergreen's English is accented with hints of Kyoto-ben but it's mostly been erased by centuries living in the Marches and her children lack it.
  • Atugia sounds Irish because she's a dullahan so if she didn't, something would be wrong with the world.
  • I hear everyone in Harvest Valley as sounding like they're from the American Midwest.
  • The orks sound like football hooligans sorry, wrong orcs, the Kervus sound like a funny mixture of Scandinavian and Scots.
  • Agni's accent is all over the place and you'd need a four-dimensional map to place where and when any part of it comes from.

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
As a Belgian (walloon) myself, I want that you provide an exemple to see if I should be offended
That's easy! She has your accent. No offense necessary~

OribieND

Feb 20, 2022
That's easy! She has your accent. No offense necessary~
The offense part was a joke, I was just wondering wich accent because there's like 2 big accent in wallonia and a neutral one. And that's just about speaking french, I can't even start enumerating all the accents for the walloon langage that is almost not speaken anymore