Can I swear fealty to both Winter City and the Baroness without any negatives?

I

Ihazhat

Got both offers on hold, don’t want lock myself out of game content and just wanna make sure there won’t be any issues between the two factions. I know swearing fealty to nobody gets you zero content but will swearing fealty to everybody also come back to bite you?

wery12345

Aug 1, 2021
Probably not, your characters basically a hero, so collecting titles comes with the territory, the only ones that you cant double dip will be if you get a perma TF.

I

Ihazhat

Probably not, your characters basically a hero, so collecting titles comes with the territory, the only ones that you cant double dip will be if you get a perma TF.
Oh yeah I learned that the hard way when Kas started crying when she found out I sold my soul. Was well worth it though to see such a unique interaction.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
Got both offers on hold, don’t want lock myself out of game content and just wanna make sure there won’t be any issues between the two factions.
Given that Hawkethorne is not part of the boer'alvar domains and never has been (it used to be part of Belhar's northern fringe and is now effectively indepdenent, but it had a treaty with the elves that Ryn had hoped to make use of) there's absolutely no reason that becoming Champion of Hawkethorne should conflict with becoming Ryn's vassal.

Last edited:

wery12345

Aug 1, 2021
My main champ is sitting on 3 champion titles, and by kero's 9 hes getting his 4th by act 2's end.

Tristan Black

Feb 18, 2016
Yeah, I'm saving my own soul for Kas. Would prefer not to use it to help restore enough of her to produce non-imp lifeforms, but I'm not taking that option off the table just yet.

Reactions: Shanghai_Hourai

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
there's absolutely no reason that becoming Champion of Hawkethorne should conflict with becoming Ryn's vassal.
That's exactly why it potentially WOULD cause conflict :p Imagine swearing fealty to the Queen of Sweden and also the Holy Roman Emperor at the same time (if vicariously through one of his lords).

That said, you don't actually swear fealty to Carmen so much as agree to be her champion -- her representative out in the world.

Tristan Black

Feb 18, 2016
Well, if you wanted to turn that wayfort and its surroundings into something a bit more important than a barony, having both major local powers acknowledging your authority would be a plus.

But it's not really worth that kind of fuss. There's not really enough territory or resources to estabish much more than a border fortress there, especially since you'd have to deal with Hawkthorne, Floofhaus, and the Winter City competing for resources.

Burnerbro

Oct 24, 2020
That's exactly why it potentially WOULD cause conflict :p Imagine swearing fealty to the Queen of Sweden and also the Holy Roman Emperor at the same time
More like King of Sweden and one of the many princes that rules a tiny part of Northern Germany nominally subjected to the HRE - both Boer'alvar Queen and Carmen seem to have very modest holdings compared to even the successor states of Belhar. In any case, such situations happened quite a number of times throughout history, especially if the land owned by the vassal is on the border between the lands of the lieges. Not least because both titles can be held by the same guy.

Speaking of which, I hope that we can eventually get an option to convince Carmen to abdicate and give up the lands she technically owns to either us or Ryn (or formally free them to self-govern). Since I now like her quite a bit more and no longer find her that sus, she can get a nice pension out of it and all the virgin D's she needs.

Edit: Oh, and Kitsunes are to be yeeted out of our new kingdom, unless they are willing to pay good money for the privilege of establishing a dedicated trading settlement or two. I'd feel bad for Kohaku and a couple of others, but one shouldn't let personal sympathies get in the way of policy making. And unless their drastically change their attitudes, kitsune colonists are not good neighbors, simple as that. Evergreen will need to be rooted out ASAP for the very same reason.

Last edited:
C

confucioed

Well they do actively go out and fuck people in order to feed off of them. Don't even care if the other party is willing so they even break their law of whatever if the aggrieved party isn't fond of getting fucked. All the while they have a portal direct to the Old Country and access to all the tanuki soul snacks they could ever need. Honestly them feeding off of the natives whose land they stole just comes off as petty.

Native: You guys are monsters!
Kitsune: Well if you see us as monsters I guess there is no need to try to improve relations. Might as well go all in on the whole rape monster of the woods.

Kingu2

May 20, 2020
Hey there only bad neighbors because everyone treats them like monster, there just fluffs who need food like everyone else.
no they're bad neighbors because they force themselves on everyone around them and they try to enslave\kill you when you try to go over and have a chat with them about some property their kid stole from their other neighbor.

wery12345

Aug 1, 2021
enslave\kill you when you try to go over and have a chat with them about some property their kid stole from their other neighbor
BAd endings are so uncnanon they hurt so the enslaving isnt a thing, also wouldnt you kill someone whose invaded your home?

they force themselves on everyone around them
So does literally every other fucking encounter in the game.

Reactions: Lone Wolf115

Wint3rRyd3r

Feb 14, 2021
BAd endings are so uncnanon they hurt so the enslaving isnt a thing, also wouldnt you kill someone whose invaded your home?

Noncanon, yes. Still have to be in character though. And going by that logic of home invasion, the kitsune could be viewed as home invaders for popping up in the frost woods one day and attacking people.

fucking encounter

Bu-dum-ts. We need a drum emote so I don't have to type it out. And yes, every other encounter does. And not everyone loves all the characters in those encounters as result.

On topic, I hope there won't be an issue. I plan to collect as many titles as possible. Gonna be everyone's champion by the end, hopefully.

Kingu2

May 20, 2020
First off canon or no whatever they were going to do if they beat you was sure to be pretty fucking unneighborly. Second at no point did champ and friends engage them with hostility, we walk up to them try to explain why we are there and are cutoff as they immediately draw their weapons and attack.

And finally
So does literally every other fucking encounter in the game.
yes they truly are no better than every other asshole rapist you encounter in the game, that's MY POINT EXACTLY.

wery12345

Aug 1, 2021
. I plan to collect as many titles as possible
Same somewhat, I only became the vassal for Ryn cause I didnt know if you got the wayfort if you didnt.

Also they do have a somewhat reason for agressivly doing it and its the whole, if they dont feed they will slowly become more well, like what they are.

Lone Wolf115

no they're bad neighbors because they force themselves on everyone around them and they try to enslave\kill you when you try to go over and have a chat with them about some property their kid stole from their other neighbor.
No they aren't again everyone sees them as monsters because they have to do one extra thing to survive and you weren't the first sent over there to retrieve a bag full of sex toys so you have to expect that another group of heavily armed individuals coming in uninvited to a village or town of people under task of someone that is not liked at all by Komari. Carmen, Evergreen family, and Komari that is a three way feud tho Carmen may be more worried about Evergreen.

Spidereggs

Sep 4, 2021
Should note that even historically, feudal relations weren't always exactly straightforward and exclusive - one could be sovereign ruler in one place and at the same time swear fealty to a different lord for other holdings. Not that this matters much in this case, since the Champion of Hawkethorne seems to be more of a honorary title than anything with land-related obligations that could come to conflict! Even today, there are knightly orders that several heads of state of sovereign nations are members of, obviously without making those countries subject to the knightly order.

Wint3rRyd3r

Feb 14, 2021
At this point I'm more curious what the consequences of rejecting vassalage to Ryn, still taking the wayfort with Farrah, and accepting Carmen's offer will be. Even if symbolic mostly, Champion of Hawkethorne is still a title given by a recognized political power so that'd have some weight.

Kaplah

Jan 14, 2017
I'm mostly curious about the mechanical consequences for accepting/rejecting the offers of vassalage and the like are. From what I can tell the only mechanical effect of rejecting Ryn's vassalage is you don't get access to whatever content the Bailiff may or may not have, but I've still been holding off on accepting because I want to know how big of an impact it's intended to have beyond opting into bailiff and potentially other frost elf content. Because the design philosophy of the game suggests that it would mostly be just opting into content but if anything was going to go deeper then that it would be faction diplomacy.

mikethor007

Jun 26, 2021
I'm mostly curious about the mechanical consequences for accepting/rejecting the offers of vassalage and the like are. From what I can tell the only mechanical effect of rejecting Ryn's vassalage is you don't get access to whatever content the Bailiff may or may not have, but I've still been holding off on accepting because I want to know how big of an impact it's intended to have beyond opting into bailiff and potentially other frost elf content. Because the design philosophy of the game suggests that it would mostly be just opting into content but if anything was going to go deeper then that it would be faction diplomacy.
Rejecting the Baron title would also block one of the potential avenues for restoring the wayfort, when it drops.

The three options for starting the restoration would either be Daliza (being a vassal baron), Farrah or Jael'yn (demonized).

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
Yeah, the gist of it as we understand things is that if you want to become a local noble you have to either do it as the vassal of someone who already has authority or you need to get help from some questionable sources. Rejecting vassalage to Ryn doesn't lock you out of refurbishing the Wayfort on its own but you will need help from a demon to do it otherwise. None of the options are exclusive and they can all potentially coexist, though it's likely that there will be consequences based on who you have present. After all, the game does make a big deal of Farrah (potentially) having to promise you to not corrupt anybody if she wants to hang around, which suggest that corrupting people is a possibility otherwise.

There probably won't be any consequences vis a vis the Champion being able to marry Ryn if you aren't her vassal (though high-Confidence Ryn gets teased about that when you accept the offer and she's present) though not accepting the offer does lock you out of Elyon's content at the very least, plus whatever is planned for Daliza in the future.

Reactions: Burnerbro