Can I increase the amount of tails I have as a kitsune?

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
I just went through the transformation into a kitsune with Keros, and had four tails when I checked my appearance. I think the number of tails correspond to age, Kero's favor, and power too if I'm not mistaken (that's what I remember from the wiki at least). Since I'm his champion, I wonder if I could increase that number... would be pretty fun, and since Kiyoko has nine, I'm getting a bit jealous.

Rampent Pervect

Aug 21, 2018
I just went through the transformation into a kitsune with Keros, and had four tails when I checked my appearance. I think the number of tails correspond to age, Kero's favor, and power too if I'm not mistaken (that's what I remember from the wiki at least). Since I'm his champion, I wonder if I could increase that number... would be pretty fun, and since Kiyoko has nine, I'm getting a bit jealous.

As far as I know, the number of tails corresponds to (Level - 1). When the level cap is increased, you'll get more tails.

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
Just imagine how awesome finally getting the ninth tail is going to be, though. It'll be a visual representation of how amazingly badass you are.

(signed,) a graduate student

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
Yessssssss EXACTLY, I'm so jealous of Kiyoko having her ninth tail already... and I'd say I'm technically more powerful than she is! But then, I'm not kitsune royalty am I? :(

Tristan Black

Feb 18, 2016
[Level/2]+1? I know a level one champion will have two tails as a kitsune, and a level ten champion will have nine, but I don't know how that's expressed in a neat little formula.

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
Thing is, I don't think the PC's increase in number of tails is going to be made a big deal, same way it wasn't a big deal when Kiyoko's extra tails appeared. The descriptions of her body changed througout the game, but the description for her tails only changed in how many she had, and they weren't made to be anything important, nor was it made clear that her power increased or anything.

Edit: Actually, there's a comment about her tails on her appearance screen, related to how powerful a kitsune is in accordance to their number of tails.

Last edited:

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
I want this too, but the tails represent your favour in Keros' eyes so perhaps he expects more of you to add to your tails. Kiyoko's goes up as she serves her purpose as a den mother, maybe you need to serve your purpose as his champion. If he just gave you the full set, you'd expect to have pretty much met your expected purpose in its entirety and that doesn't quite gel with the notion that you're only part way through your journey as the champion.

Kiyoko gets her final tail at 32 kits, that's a prolific level of kits for a den mother (she can pretty much retire her womb at that point), she has reached a level that all other den mothers would be in awe of, she's earned her elevation to Keros' most favoured. Do you think we have?

I want 9 tails but i don't think it makes thematic sense for us to start off there, even with the champion being such an impressive specimen, they still have further to travel, greater heights to reach and certainly more to do for the god of mischief.

After reading this, I realize that it makes so much sense, I could not see that before. It's going to be fun once I'm able to get more and more tails, and hopefully it's going to be a really nice read if there're a few little changes here and there as they increase.

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
Alas, it turned out it's just your level minus 1, so we'll have the full 9 at level 10.
Yes, but maybe something can be written when you level up to represent that increase in tails and power, and maybe a few tiny changes here and there in dialogue... could make a world of difference.

I'm just a little sad because it's going to be a while before we reach level 10.

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
That's a little sad to hear. Maybe I'll just save edit something then. Shouldn't break the game. But then again, it's kind of unfair, both to my character and myself if I do that. With all that thing about having done something to deserve more tails and whatnot. Doesn't feel like something justifiable, like editing an ability and making up a story as to how I got it to justify it.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
Well, one can assume that Keros decides when a kitsune has earned an extra tail using a complex formula involving how well they're doing whatever their particular duties are (a la Kiyoko popping out kids), how entertaining they are to watch and a random 'for shits and giggles' factor... and for the Champion he's decided that your duty is to go kick ass and take names in his name. With enough mental roleplaying you can probably imagine a good justification for each tail based on some impressive thing you've done recently that Keros would approve of.

My guess is that aside from maaaaaybe an extra comment at level-up there won't be much if any reaction to you getting new tails (uhhh, has anyone not been at Level 5 and transformed? I'm curious if there is an acknowledgement of a new tale floofing into existence) but maybe once you hit Level 10 and have a full set of nine there could be a bit of extra dialogue from a couple characters. Would be cool, way way off whenever the cap maxes out.

Reactions: Violyn

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
Well, one can assume that Keros decides when a kitsune has earned an extra tail using a complex formula involving how well they're doing whatever their particular duties are (a la Kiyoko popping out kids), how entertaining they are to watch and a random 'for shits and giggles' factor... and for the Champion he's decided that your duty is to go kick ass and take names in his name. With enough mental roleplaying you can probably imagine a good justification for each tail based on some impressive thing you've done recently that Keros would approve of.

My guess is that aside from maaaaaybe an extra comment at level-up there won't be much if any reaction to you getting new tails (uhhh, has anyone not been at Level 5 and transformed? I'm curious if there is an acknowledgement of a new tale floofing into existence) but maybe once you hit Level 10 and have a full set of nine there could be a bit of extra dialogue from a couple characters. Would be cool, way way off whenever the cap maxes out.
That makes sense haha, but I'm not sure yet. But I definitely could see myself finding a way to justify doing it, I've been modding and editing basically every game I've played that can be altered and edited just so I can roleplay how I want to. It's like that with trials too anyway...

VynalDerp

Jun 26, 2019
I don't see how you can complete the fox den quest sub-level 5, it's one of the most challenging dungeons purely because it's a series of bosses each with different strengths and weaknesses, it's too hard to account for any of them with a single build, ultimates are kind of required even with a stack of healing items and in order to get good enough gear to make it moderately straight forward, you'd earn enough experience to hit level 5, so even if there IS some reference to gaining new tails, i doubt anyone has seen it / could see it.
I was able to do it at I think level 3 or 4 with an un-optimal build, 3 squishy people, and using no consumables. I don't even think I had healing, I just relied on Cait for that and this was before I knew you could manually control the actions of each companion.

Unfortunately this was well before you could become a Kitsune yourself so I can't say what it's like actually growing a new tail. Definitely something I'd be interested in hearing, though.

edit: Should add that I also checked out the Komari fight and though it was the hardest of them I was still able to do it without much hassle.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
As an addendum, all the boss' gimmicks are made to be taken by a manual control party. Suicide by blade block or chain reviving by Miko and Mai are usually the bane of auto teams.

VynalDerp

Jun 26, 2019
I ain't calling you a liar, but i'm going to need more than just a claim you did it, depending on your build, either Nakano will kick your ass physically, or the twins will shred your resolve. Without decent gear and good ability combinations, i can't imagine how you could accomplish it, and as i said, acquiring the gear will net your more than enough experience to bump you over level 5. Also, with no consumables, your chances sub-5 are even less since you can't get Cait to heal you between fights and one often ends a fight with less than half health on at least one character regardless of build, meaning the next fight is even more difficult. I'm not saying it's impossible but... fuck... explain how you did it and how many attempts it took you. Sure you didn't have the game on easy mode?
Looking at my spells and stuff, at the time the strategy I used was DPS-focused. I had Cait and Berwyn in my party and I was basically a Berwyn, so the amount of damage we could dish out per turn was quite hilarious.

Unfortunately I don't have a save from right before I entered the dungeon, only one from after the dungeon where I had basically just recently leveled up, probably from clearing the dungeon itself.

The gear, though? Well, I don't have any idea what you mean by that. I am literally wearing the Witch Corset set that I got like 10 days into the game and was using the Spiraled Staff from the Berwyn quest, something I also did extremely early in the game. I actually just beat the entire Winter City using almost the exact same set, but with rings and a different collar. In my old save I'm not even wearing a belt nor rings, though I do have Kiyoko's necklace which provides some nice resistances. The setup I used to take out the dungeon is very weird and I'm a bit surprised I didn't have more difficulty doing it. I have Withering Bolt, Grease, Fireball, and Summon Kiyoko. You can do some absolutely nasty damage by Greasing a target and then smacking it with a Fireball, and if I recall correctly Fireball acts as an AOE if you grease all targets, meaning you can get a nasty hit off on multiple opponents. In between Grease and Fireball I would just spam Withering bolt and combine that with Berwyn's own at-will, we could deal over 100 damage minimum per cycle and close to 200 damage with a lucky crit thrown in there. I wouldn't really call the build optimal at all, though. Could definitely be improved, particularly on the gear side. Stats are a bit of a mess too, I initially was going to go for a Courtesan run so focused on sexiness and stuff like that before giving up and going for a sort of Archer build... before giving up and going White Mage... before giving up and going Black Mage. Any good statistics are completely by accident.

I went through the dungeons with some other mixups and I found it was a lot better to just not have Summon Kiyoko as usually if the Golem died things were going horribly wrong and I was probably dead anyway (sidenote, there were a couple fights Kiyoko did win for us with her debuffs but I think it was mostly luck), and replace it with a damaging move of some kind. Also tried it with using Heal instead of Withering Bolt and I found it turned the dungeon into a case of "death by thousand papercuts" where we would slowly kill the opponents faster than they could actually kill us, but since it relied on Berwyn doing most of the per-turn damage I recall losing a couple of times due to bad move choice by the AI. No, Berwyn, we don't need a group heal to heal a whopping 10 damage between the three of us. Kill the enemy instead please.

From what I can gander I think I got good RNG on the fights, stuff like Cait healing me and Berwyn on the right turns, dodges, or the enemy picking moves that were... not really the best. Getting some good criticals on the enemy and not getting critical'd in return and so on. I remember I also went through the dungeon after leveling to level 5 and I recall Banished being ludicrously useful, it is basically a oneshot to Golems if you're having trouble there and it can take an enemy out of the fight for two turns, giving you time to heal in single-target fights and letting you absolutely pound the living crap out of whoever is left in the dual fights.

I actually still have the level 5 save from where I made a hard backup before trying the dungeon again at level 5. I probably should've done that before doing it the first time too, but I usually use two save slots (one as a backup, one as a main one) so I only really end up making hard saves to the drive when attempting something unusual and they have long since been overwritten.

Maybe the fight has gotten more difficult over time or something? I haven't done it in a loooong time... I ought to toy with my old save a bit more and see how well I can run it. It is technically modified, but all I did was give myself fox berries to turn myself into a fox (am not a sadist and am not going to grind for 50 days for like 6 berries lol) and a bunch of money for Nursery upgrades. I don't even think I spent it on anything except the Quarterstaff for Kinu, Training, and a nice pair of stockings and garterbelt, not that I'd had it for very long prior to doing the quest anyways and never used tease at all during the quest.

Edit: Oh! This is also kind of important, I recall trying to stall a couple fights out a cycle or two in order to make sure everyone was tip-top on HP for the harder fights like Nakano and such, although it was pretty successful when I had the healing spell, it was a bit less so for Cait healing as I had no real control over it.

And, the amount of attempts it took to beat all the bosses from the start was... probably 4 or 5 in order to get to know the bosses and beat them, but the overall amount of runs I did was probably more similar to 10 in order to get all the defeat scenes and test some other spell combinations and such. I actually remember looking at my gear after all was said and done and going "You know, that would've probably been a lot easier if I actually had paid attention to my gear at all." and proceeding to forget to change it until I went for a Winter City run recently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Malidica

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
Well, I decided to answer my own question about tail notification with an old save at Level 4 and just cheesed the gameplay by having Kiyoko's amulet with me so if I lost (which I did to Miko and Mai) I could still clear the quest.

Anyhow, there's currently no special notification when you level up; the fourth tail just floofs itself into existence with no fanfare.