building a pc help

Thi

Apr 18, 2017
Had a quick read through here, and went to amazon to find something quick that should get you along the way(in the spoiler). All adding up too $607.
You can go for cheaper stuff but as someone stated earlier you should probably save up too $700-800. Why? Because you'll be able too get slightly more expensive stuffs that'll make your life easier later on. And not worry as much if you aim for a $600 build and end up with something just over, ie $650-ish. Or if you find that you''l need some extra wires, fans, mounting brackets or the like. You've got the money to get it ;)

I would suggest for you to get a ssd(storage) for your main os(ie windows). You don't need the biggest drives for that, ie 120GB(reflected down in the spoiler). I'd suggest 240GB though, as windows puts your documents, pictures and downloads folders on your "main-drive".

You'd probably be better off with a WD Black(storage) instead of Blue, reason is already stated earlier here. Yes hdd's/spin-drives are cheaper than ssd's, but also more prone to damage as they got moving parts.

The CPU I chose here is about $30 cheaper than the first CPU you suggested here, and it's the generation before the last one you suggested.

As for motherboards, I don't see any problems taking a quick look at the prime z390p you found. The one I chose however has slightly more options on wifi/bluetooth connectivity and some other things. Are you going to use it? I don't know. Also the motherboard I found seems to have been bought by more people and will more likely be easier too find help and other documentation online if somethings were too happen.

I don't know how much RAM(memory) you want. From what you put earlier in the thread, I would suggest 2x4GB if you want/need only 8GB of RAM. I put 16GB(2x8GB) in the spoiler because it was cheaper than 2x4GB when I looked. The RAM I pout in the spoiler should be equal to the RAM you found earlier.

And I just put your choice for tower case.

You say you've got a GPU and a power supply, so I didn't include them in the spoiler.
Just to have put my five cents on the matter out here, a 1050 or 1050ti should be a good starting point if you were to buy a GPU. I've got a 780ti from when I built my computer, and it's still kicking.
And a power supply of 750W should be more than enough for most systems. And the feeling I'm getting of what you want for your current build, 650W should also be good.

There is alot of stuffs you could do to reduce the costs of "my build". Ie don't do the ssd thing, go with the WD blue, and use the motherboard you found. All of this should get you well within your budget.

The components I chose are based off of the fact that you said you wouldn't use this build on must newer games. If you aren't gonna play games at all on this build, you could lower the specs even more. Are gonna do more hefty stuffs like rendering or animating, you'd probably have too up atleast the RAM and the GPU alot.

Hope I didn't confuse you with all this, and if anyone have more insight in tho computer building please feel free to "correct" me if I've made any grave mistakes.

C'ya :)

Reactions: Skylinegtr34

Skylinegtr34

May 20, 2018
Had a quick read through here, and went to amazon to find something quick that should get you along the way(in the spoiler). All adding up too $607.
You can go for cheaper stuff but as someone stated earlier you should probably save up too $700-800. Why? Because you'll be able too get slightly more expensive stuffs that'll make your life easier later on. And not worry as much if you aim for a $600 build and end up with something just over, ie $650-ish. Or if you find that you''l need some extra wires, fans, mounting brackets or the like. You've got the money to get it ;)

I would suggest for you to get a ssd(storage) for your main os(ie windows). You don't need the biggest drives for that, ie 120GB(reflected down in the spoiler). I'd suggest 240GB though, as windows puts your documents, pictures and downloads folders on your "main-drive".

You'd probably be better off with a WD Black(storage) instead of Blue, reason is already stated earlier here. Yes hdd's/spin-drives are cheaper than ssd's, but also more prone to damage as they got moving parts.

The CPU I chose here is about $30 cheaper than the first CPU you suggested here, and it's the generation before the last one you suggested.

As for motherboards, I don't see any problems taking a quick look at the prime z390p you found. The one I chose however has slightly more options on wifi/bluetooth connectivity and some other things. Are you going to use it? I don't know. Also the motherboard I found seems to have been bought by more people and will more likely be easier too find help and other documentation online if somethings were too happen.

I don't know how much RAM(memory) you want. From what you put earlier in the thread, I would suggest 2x4GB if you want/need only 8GB of RAM. I put 16GB(2x8GB) in the spoiler because it was cheaper than 2x4GB when I looked. The RAM I pout in the spoiler should be equal to the RAM you found earlier.

And I just put your choice for tower case.

You say you've got a GPU and a power supply, so I didn't include them in the spoiler.
Just to have put my five cents on the matter out here, a 1050 or 1050ti should be a good starting point if you were to buy a GPU. I've got a 780ti from when I built my computer, and it's still kicking.
And a power supply of 750W should be more than enough for most systems. And the feeling I'm getting of what you want for your current build, 650W should also be good.

There is alot of stuffs you could do to reduce the costs of "my build". Ie don't do the ssd thing, go with the WD blue, and use the motherboard you found. All of this should get you well within your budget.

The components I chose are based off of the fact that you said you wouldn't use this build on must newer games. If you aren't gonna play games at all on this build, you could lower the specs even more. Are gonna do more hefty stuffs like rendering or animating, you'd probably have too up atleast the RAM and the GPU alot.

Hope I didn't confuse you with all this, and if anyone have more insight in tho computer building please feel free to "correct" me if I've made any grave mistakes.

C'ya :)

Thanks for the response and feedback, you mentioned a ssd, but I was told that I don’t need a ssd, and that I can put the money else where, as for the cpu, did you mean the i3 or i5, because my initial choice was a i5 8500, but I was told to get the 7400 since the mb was cheaper, as for the gpu, I apologize if you got confuses, I thought a gpu was the part with fans on it, but I have a graphics card, which is a gigabyte, not sure what kind, the guy gave it to me without a box, the mb was something I was looking at on Newegg, with the suggestion of another user, and the asus prime was in a combo deal with a i7 9400k-9400f cpu, as for the os, I want to know if I can use windows 7, since it’s cheaper, and I am gonna play games, mainly modding, also, im not gonna play a lot of new games either, im gonna play games like, Skyrim se, oblivion, the fallout series, etc. last thing, I want this pc to be a good starting point, a base where I can build on

Thi

Apr 18, 2017
Well, yes you don't need the ssd. My advice is for you to get one as your main-drive, if you want your computer to boot up faster and run faster in general. however it tends to just be the boot up time that you'll feel any difference at all. I would go for a ssd, but I'm not you ;) You do not need it.

Cpu, I'm talking i5. The i5 8400, i5 7400, i5 8500 and i7 9400 all got a lga 1151 socket, which again means that all of them should fit on/in the socket of the motherboard. But then again a motherboard that supports 7th gen cpus (here the 7400) might not be able to support a 8th or 9th gen cpu. Even if the cpu's got the same socket architecture. Hence my choice of cpu and motherboard earlier.
If you go for the i5 7400 because the motherboards are cheaper, you might end up with having to change the motherboard too when you wanna change/upgrade the cpu later.

Price-wise when I'm writing this, the i5 8400 is $184-ish on amazon, the i5 7400 is $194-ish on amazon, and the i5 8500 is $200-something at some of the retailers on amazon.
I've not had a look at other websites, so I don't really know if there are cheaper stuff out there. If you find something else in a combo that is cheaper, then by all means go for it. It's not my money your spending ;p

There is a fuck load of options to choose from and even more options coming along with all of the combos of things to combine and consider. In the end you should probably go with what feels like the right choice right now. If regrets should pop up later there's always the possibility of upgrades and downgrades;)

If you want windows 7, go for it. End of life just means that they won't help you if something were to happen with your os after they stop supporting it. Heck you can use windows 98 for all that it maters:smuggo:. I don't think that your games will work on there though:rolleyes:

The gigabyte thing you got is probably a gpu, yes.
When people say 1050, 1050ti, 1080, Titan X, rx 800, vga4000 and so on when talking about gpu's, they're talking about the base gpu chipset/card. Companies like Gigabyte, MSI, Asus, Zotec, EVGA and so gets these gpu's and modify them with better cooling or cooling options than what NVIDIA and AMD usually provide stock-wise

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
If you want windows 7, go for it. End of life just means that they won't help you if something were to happen with your os after they stop supporting it. Heck you can use windows 98 for all that it maters:smuggo:.

He could but don't forget no one will develop drivers for new devices for EOL operating systems and eventually apps like Steam will also drop support.

Thi

Apr 18, 2017
aah, I forgot, my bad

Skylinegtr34

May 20, 2018
Well, yes you don't need the ssd. My advice is for you to get one as your main-drive, if you want your computer to boot up faster and run faster in general. however it tends to just be the boot up time that you'll feel any difference at all. I would go for a ssd, but I'm not you ;) You do not need it.

Cpu, I'm talking i5. The i5 8400, i5 7400, i5 8500 and i7 9400 all got a lga 1151 socket, which again means that all of them should fit on/in the socket of the motherboard. But then again a motherboard that supports 7th gen cpus (here the 7400) might not be able to support a 8th or 9th gen cpu. Even if the cpu's got the same socket architecture. Hence my choice of cpu and motherboard earlier.
If you go for the i5 7400 because the motherboards are cheaper, you might end up with having to change the motherboard too when you wanna change/upgrade the cpu later.

Price-wise when I'm writing this, the i5 8400 is $184-ish on amazon, the i5 7400 is $194-ish on amazon, and the i5 8500 is $200-something at some of the retailers on amazon.
I've not had a look at other websites, so I don't really know if there are cheaper stuff out there. If you find something else in a combo that is cheaper, then by all means go for it. It's not my money your spending ;p

There is a fuck load of options to choose from and even more options coming along with all of the combos of things to combine and consider. In the end you should probably go with what feels like the right choice right now. If regrets should pop up later there's always the possibility of upgrades and downgrades;)

If you want windows 7, go for it. End of life just means that they won't help you if something were to happen with your os after they stop supporting it. Heck you can use windows 98 for all that it maters:smuggo:. I don't think that your games will work on there though:rolleyes:

The gigabyte thing you got is probably a gpu, yes.
When people say 1050, 1050ti, 1080, Titan X, rx 800, vga4000 and so on when talking about gpu's, they're talking about the base gpu chipset/card. Companies like Gigabyte, MSI, Asus, Zotec, EVGA and so gets these gpu's and modify them with better cooling or cooling options than what NVIDIA and AMD usually provide stock-wise

Lol the funny thing is that I could have sworn that I saw the i5 as low as $110-$115, and that gigabyte part, The guy said that it’s a graphics card, and would I be able to use windows 8

Skylinegtr34

May 20, 2018
Lol the funny thing is that I could have sworn that I saw the i5 as low as $110-$115, and that gigabyte part, The guy said that it’s a graphics card, and would I be able to use windows 8

Would I be able to use a msi z390 a pro mb, and would patriot signature ddr4 2x4gb work?

Thi

Apr 18, 2017
Windows 8: yes.
Motherboard: yes. Just remember to get a 8th or 9th gen cpu that fits in a LGA 1151 socket ;)
RAM: yes. 8GB is what fallout and skyrim require.

Skylinegtr34

May 20, 2018
Windows 8: yes.
Motherboard: yes. Just remember to get a 8th or 9th gen cpu that fits in a LGA 1151 socket ;)
RAM: yes. 8GB is what fallout and skyrim require.

Is g skill V series 2x4, asus prime b250m-a, and gigabyte b360m ds3h good?

The 9400f is too much, plus I’m not going to overclock

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
deeeeeeeeeeeeead

don't make me shill windows 10 but by process elimination your future prospects for a low budget gaming pc doesn't leave you with much choice

Skylinegtr34

May 20, 2018
Ok what about the mbs that I mentioned above, and patriot, g skill, and ballistix ram?

Last edited:

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
Ok what about the mbs that I mentioned above, and patriot, g skill, and ballistix ram?
Your mobo will dictate what type of ram you need. I'll be honest: I buy whatever cheapest RAM I can get depending on the memory configuration I want. At this point manufacturer doesn't really matter.

Thi

Apr 18, 2017
what, windows 8 is dead too?? :eek: I'm soo out off this :'(

If you wanna stay current last three gen i5+ from intel, and still have a gaming pc that doesn't struggle, you'll need to do $175+. You could check out AMD's stuff, but I do not have any experience with anything AMD though.

Most of my suggestions here have been made to keep you from having to swap multiple parts when you want to upgrade later.

Edit: watch?v=YkvQfAwr9fc

Skylinegtr34

May 20, 2018
Your mobo will dictate what type of ram you need. I'll be honest: I buy whatever cheapest RAM I can get depending on the memory configuration I want. At this point manufacturer doesn't really matter.

But are they good and would they work with my set up?

what, windows 8 is dead too?? :eek: I'm soo out off this :'(

If you wanna stay current last three gen i5+ from intel, and still have a gaming pc that doesn't struggle, you'll need to do $175+. You could check out AMD's stuff, but I do not have any experience with anything AMD though.

Most of my suggestions here have been made to keep you from having to swap multiple parts when you want to upgrade later.

Edit: watch?v=YkvQfAwr9fc

And I appreciate it, I just need a good starter pc where I can play games like Skyrim se with mods

Skylinegtr34

May 20, 2018

$109.99

$16.59

$8.27

$17.96

$59.99

$184.99

$54.99

$14.99

Subtotal (8 items): $467.77

this is what i got after searching, the ssd is not on here since its on another site, and i just want to know your guys opinion

20-236-394-V01.jpg

• 20-236-394-V01.jpg

• 20-236-394-V02.jpg

• 20-236-394-V03.jpg

• 20-236-394-V04.jpg

Corsair Force MP300 M.2 2280 120GB PCI-Express 3.0 x2, NVME 1.3 3D TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) CSSD-F120GBMP300

and this is the ssd, its $35.99 on newegg

Last edited: