building a pc help

Skylinegtr34

May 20, 2018
i dont know if this is the right place, so if its not ill stop posting on this thread, but im in the middle of building a pc and im trying to get input from as much sorces as possible, any tips/advice would be appriciated

TiTSFan

Jan 25, 2019
I'm afraid you need to be more specific. Building a PC how? I assume you're asking about a player character, because if you're building a personal computer you're way off.

Since you didn't say what kind of PC you're making, the only advice I can give is this... look in the wiki for the sections on Perks, Appearance, Trans-formative Items, and Armor. Familiarize yourself with those pages and you should be able to plan out just about any character you can think of.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Then this should be in the general bullshit section of the forum.

Reactions: Skylinegtr34

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
What is your budget?

What do you want to do with said PC?

I just blew up my 4970k and am waiting for the new Ryzens to drop mid 2019. AMD is showing highly competitive MSRPs for 3300 and 3300X chips.

TheDevilYouKnow

Oct 21, 2015
I'd recommend checking out newegg's build it yourself bundles. I picked up everything but a heatsink and gpu for about $600. Which is crazy considering a 7700k runs about $400 new.

Skylinegtr34

May 20, 2018
What is your budget?

What do you want to do with said PC?

I just blew up my 4970k and am waiting for the new Ryzens to drop mid 2019. AMD is showing highly competitive MSRPs for 3300 and 3300X chips.

My budget is $500-$600, I was thinking of going with a i5 8400, but someone told me if I didn’t want to spend a lot on a motherboard, to get the i5 7400, I’m new to pc building

Also I’m not gonna play a lot of new games

Skylinegtr34

May 20, 2018
I didn’t want the cheaper mb, I just didnt know that higher end cpus require more expensive mbs, also can I post a amazon link to the parts list?

Last edited:

JBornWhoS

Oct 22, 2017
If you're on a budget then you probably want to buy an AMD CPU. A similarly specced chip will probably run a little hotter than Intel but cost much less. You probably want to get NVidia GPU, though. Looking at the specs of AMD vs NVidia is deceiving. Something about the NVidia drivers or hardware or something make the FLOPS and cores go MUCH farther than AMD for anything 3D. It's why AMD cards were popular with bitcoin miners for awhile. I decided to buy an AMD card with much higher specs than a similarly priced NVidia card and have since regretted it compared to a friend's NVidia card for comparison.

If you live in America, see if you have a Microcenter within ~1 hour driving distance. In store pick up of all the heavy/bulky parts can really save. https://www.microcenter.com/
Alternately I'd recommend Newegg. Either way, take a hard look at clearance and refurbished items.

One thing you might consider is using a case from an old PC. You or a family member might have one or you could buy one cheap at a thrift store or something.

One major gotcha I've found in PC building is the power supply. Don't skimp on it. I'd aim for a mid-range modular PSU from a well known company. Cheap electrolytic capacitors and the like in low end units won't last and may even cause damage to other components.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
Something about the NVidia drivers or hardware or something make the FLOPS and cores go MUCH farther than AMD for anything 3D.
That was mostly the 1080 Ti. Most people that were really serious about mining have switched to Asic miners these days so Nvidia has taken a huge hit in their sales dropping because the 1080ti is no longer in fashion for such a thing.

Since we're talking about GPUs I have to say the RTX 2080 and the new Radeon VII are both not looking good in terms of price vs performance. Granted, the Radeion VII just dropped but we're talking about 8-12% difference in performance vs the discontinued 1080ti at a $700 price tag and this was on DEVELOPER DRIVERS which were also not 100% stable as there are wide reports about crashes during benchmarks. I honestly wish the 1080ti was still in production.

With that said, take a look at the 1060ti and the 1070ti.

I didn’t want the cheaper mb, I just didnt know that higher end cpus require more expensive mbs
I wouldn't worry too much about the motherboard, just make sure it supports the socket/chipset required for your CPU, the memory config you want, the gpu you want. Unless you're going to do some serious overclocking I'd steer away from the enthusiast boards because you're going to be paying for features you're never going to use.

Last edited:

Skylinegtr34

May 20, 2018
heres what ive got, i got a power supply and a graphics card for free

$197.00

$129.99

$47.99

$49.99

$14.99

$49.99

Subtotal (6 items): $489.95

Shopping CartLearn more

Do you have a gift card or promotional code? We'll ask you to enter your claim code when it's time to pay.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
You linked to a single RAM module consider 8x2 or 4x2 confiuration so you can dual channel.

DO NOT BUY any Western Digital Blue spin-drives. They have the highest failure rates in the entire WD line excluding the external drives. If you are going to buy a spin-drive the minimum you should look at are the WD Blacks.

Consider a SATA SDD or NVME Drive for your boot drive.

Last edited:

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
Also, your cpu will come with a default cooler I dont think you need to buy another cooler. Check what that intel chip comes with.

But the Intel default coolers suck

meh

Skylinegtr34

May 20, 2018
You linked to a single RAM module consider 8x2 or 4x2 confiuration so you can dual channel.

DO NOT BUY any Western Digital Blue spin-drives. They have the highest failure rates in the entire WD line excluding the external drives. If you are going to buy a spin-drive the minimum you should look at are the WD Blacks.

Consider a SATA3 SDD or NVME Drive for your boot drive.

With the ram what manufacture do you recommend, with the ssd, I was told that it only is good for boot up speed, and is there better brand that’s around the same price

Also the same person told me if I want the i5 8400, 8500, or the 8600 that I’d need to spend more on a mb, I looked and the 8400, 8500, and the 8600 are much cheaper

Last edited:

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
Corsair is fine. Memory is cheap right now so it's a good time to buy.

SSDs can be tricky. My new rig doesn't have any spin disks at all. I have a Samsung 970 EVO 250gb for my boot drive and a Western Digital Black 1TB for storage.

Skylinegtr34

May 20, 2018
Corsair is fine. Memory is cheap right now so it's a good time to buy.

SSDs can be tricky. My new rig doesn't have any spin disks at all. I have a Samsung 970 EVO 250gb for my boot drive and a Western Digital Black 1TB for storage.

But is a ssd nessary for a pc, can I skip it and use the money on something else?

Also, can I use windows 7 with Skyrim se and other older games?

One thing, can you clarify what’s the name of the part that has single or double fans on top? Because on pcpartpicker it says storage and memory, and I looked it up and it said that momory is ram and storage is gpu, but when I looked up storage it mentions ssds

Last edited:

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
But is a ssd nessary for a pc, can I skip it and use the money on something else?
The difference in transfer rates between a spin-disk and a SATA SSD is like night and day. The difference between a SATA SSD and a NVME SSD is like the moon vs the sun.

SATA Spin disk: WD Raptor 1TB, 10000 rpm, average read/write 174/164 MB/s
SATA SSD: Samsung EVO 860, average read/write 550/520 MB/s
NVME SSD: WD Black 1TB, average read/write 3,938 MB per second

Look at the difference in transfer rates.

Are SSDs necessary? Maybe. IF you play a disk intensive game like Kenshi I would say yes.

As a rule, I want to say: never cheap out on storage. Yes, you can get by on a WD Black 1TB but at least consider getting a SATA SSD.

Skylinegtr34

May 20, 2018
The difference in transfer rates between a spin-disk and a SATA SSD is like night and day. The difference between a SATA SSD and a NVME SSD is like the moon vs the sun.

SATA Spin disk: WD Raptor 1TB, 10000 rpm, average read/write 174/164 MB/s
SATA SSD: Samsung EVO 860, average read/write 550/520 MB/s
NVME SSD: WD Black 1TB, average read/write 3,938 MB per second

Look at the difference in transfer rates.

Are SSDs necessary? Maybe. IF you play a disk intensive game like Kenshi I would say yes.

As a rule, I want to say: never cheap out on storage. Yes, you can get by on a WD Black 1TB but at least consider getting a SATA SSD.

Thank you for your input, and if it’s possible, can you give me a pc parts list for budget of $500-$600? I’ve got a video card and a power supply already, also if you can put the os in the list

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
If you don't want to spend too much on a SSD I'd say that's a good price to performance ratio on the WB 1TB Black edition, it only costs $10 more than what you were going to spend on the WD blue drive.

Skylinegtr34

May 20, 2018
If you don't want to spend too much on a SSD I'd say that's a good price to performance ratio on the WB 1TB Black edition, it only costs $10 more than what you were going to spend on the WD blue drive.

Ok, then any advice on other parts?

Skylinegtr34

May 20, 2018

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
Btw I really recommend looking at the Newegg CPU + Mobo combos on Newegg as mentioned before. You can save a fair amount on those combo discounts.

Skylinegtr34

May 20, 2018
Is a combo of a

Intel i5 9400k coffee lake 2.9 ghz (4.10 ghz turbo) lga 1151 (300 series)

Asrock z390 pro4 mb

A good combo, it’s $299.98, and $289.98 $10 of?