Build for my first playthrough?

Aleister_BLDR

Mar 12, 2020
So as the title implies this is my first time playing and I'd like to know what build class and powers may work well.

I usually try to emulate my oc which is a mage so I went black mage but so far... It feels underwhelming

Any suggestions about powers and class? I'd prefer to tinker with my equipment so let's no delve into that unless it's really build defining.

v3hemenc3

Aug 29, 2017
For a black mage, the later you get in the game the better the spells you get. My main playthrough's black mage has the highest willpower I can get through levels and gear, and early on I had the classic grease > fireball powers on and a summon skill just for an extra body in the field (you can get the wolf spirit from vivianne in the old forest or the flame spirit in any mage trainer). When you get access to
Khor'Minos
, that's where you get the good stuff. The NPC there gives you four tomes including the devastating single target Jade Flame spell, and the city proper has a store that sells gear to mages, including the tome for Flash Fire (single target damage, blinds and burns every enemy). You'd also want to do the temple of terrestrial fire quest to get stronger fire summons.

For gear, most spellpower gear can be store-bought or acquired through quests, but there is one piece of gear that is extremely vital for the black mage, the
guldring
. To acquire this, you need to
progress the Church quest until you are invited to find the Dawnsword (side note, maybe don't corrupt Liaden during the hive quest, because she's an NPC in the quest). when you're asked to duel the incubus, say no and attack him with your entire party. when you beat him, tell Liaden to save the dawnsword. You won't get the sword in the end, but in several days some paladins will give you the guldring. This ring increases your spell power and spell pen by 5, but it also increases the damage of your spells by half your presence. I actually had to load a save from a long time to redo that quest.

Reactions: Aleister_BLDR

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
For the early-ish game, one of the best one-two combos a mage can do is Grease-Fireball, since the first spell dramatically boosts the power of the second and a lot of companions have Fire-based attacks that synergize with it as well. It wanes in effectiveness when fighting enemies with multiple actions per round (you have to be more careful with the timing) or which strongly resist Fire damage, but it's pretty good for the early game and is still useful later.

Once you start getting access to Tomes (or have enough money to do training for new Powers, which will most likely happen first) a good suggestion is to pick up various abilities you didn't choose on leveling up, and possibly some White Mage/Charmer ones as well if you want to add some other damage types or buffs to your bag of tricks. Don't be afraid to swap Powers out between fights depending on the area, because Black Mages can cover a huge variety of damage types (but not all at once) so you can become much more effective if you're willing to swap skills around instead of looking for one build to stick with for the entire game. And if you use some cross-class skills you can cover even more ground.

If you plan to make use of summons, make sure to boost Presence either when you level up or by drinking the appropriate buffing liquor, because that's the stat that determines how powerful they are. Willpower is the stat you definitely want to focus on boosting because that's what almost everything you do will scale off of. And yes, as mentioned look for gear that improves Spellpower, Spell Penetration or both.

Aleister_BLDR

Mar 12, 2020
Ohhhh thanks a lot, that sound really good.

So far I finished the old forest and am exploring the valley, my at will withering blast sucks hard but I'm doing okay with allure, grease and summon wolf spirit.

The later is very powerful since it attacks twice and presence is my second best score.

I'm still level 3.