Black Mage Stat Priorities

IraMorti

Dec 5, 2017
So what stats do my fellow Black Mage enjoyers focus on? I always prioritize Willpower and Cunning, but my third stat I have debating between Agility and Presence.

Willpower and Cunning are no-brainers because they work the best with the Black Mage perks. Presence gives boosts your companions and your summons, gives you some hp and also boosts your teases if you need to do tease damage in some situations and if you have the Guldring your spells get extra fire damage. Agility on the other hand enhances your hit chance, gives you better evasion (which is great since you probably aren't wearing heavy armor), and initiative - all great stats to have as a mage.

Could also swap between the two for a more even spread, but I'm not sure. How do the rest of you set up your mage?

Jstar

Feb 20, 2020
Depends on if you're going for a Blaster Mage or for a Summoner. Personally, I maximize Cunning and Willpower while going half and half on Agility and Presence.

The Guldring is very good for Presence Casters, and you can even boost the fire damage higher if you have the Regal Kimono from Tetsuya. However, at the current point and time, the only way to obtain that item is to have a kid with Tetsuya (more options in the future, one of which is entirely platonic).

As for Powers, I run with:
Equanimity, Jade Flame, Arc Cannon, Vitality Reap, and Banishment (I know I can go Kitsunetsuki, but Banishment fits the character better).

For my off-hand, I switch to Shield Orb every now and again if I'm running into an enemy that intends to crit-fish my ass.

Reactions: Sacremas

Jstar

Feb 20, 2020
By no means is my character optimized, though. I just like to play to my character's theme.

IraMorti

Dec 5, 2017
Around what I was planning to do as well. It's too bad Kitsunetsuki is bound to the fox jewel, I do like using it but I agree Banishment usually helps more. Either nuking an ethereal or construct or giving you much needed breathing room. I can't wait for the Regal Kimono to be available for platonic, but the Tiran Vestments are still pretty good.

Was thinking about about splitting agility and presence as well. What did you use as your starter race before you went Kitsune? I usually go Human, but I might go Wyld Elf. Guess it depends if I want to do summoner or glass cannon like you said. Human with Noble Scion might be better option to start if I want to Summoner, with Wyld Elf + Arcanist for a nuking build.

Jstar

Feb 20, 2020
Human Noble for the double bonus to Presence

A1teros

Dec 23, 2021
Does Guldring scaling work differently than I thought? If it's presence/2, then the additional damage seems pretty lackluster unless you have multi-hit spells regardless of level.

IraMorti

Dec 5, 2017
I mean if your presence is close to max you should be getting like 8 extra fire damage unmitigated? That's nothing to scoff out when even with a decent amount of spellpower noncrits at the current level cap don't hit higher than 150ish damage on most enemies if I remember right. That 8 damage can make a difference.