black mage/spellblade-based mirror mage build?

v3hemenc3

Aug 29, 2017
I'm trying to collect all the spells from mirror stance as much as I can, but my base class is black mage and I put all my bonuses into spellpower. Does anyone have a mirror mage build I can copy? preferably without having to change classes.

Sacremas

Jan 11, 2023
The problem with Mirror Mage is that having the mirror stance active makes you by default the highest threat enemy that they are likely to focus on, so you should be focusing more on the tanky battle mage part of things rather than spell blade, get a high Toughness score (Toughness, Willpower, Presence and then use a summon like Phyria or the flame summons from the Temple of Terrestrial Fire, + Warcry to keep that threat and Shatter), wear armor instead of robes and eschew Evasion based stuff in preference for Armor and Warding (if you dodge it, you can't learn it), Mare's Ring to keep you healthy, and keep a healbot like Cait or Queenly Rainment Ryn on the ready, don't use another tank. Then when you have picked up the powers you want (the wiki is useful for that, if incomplete, for example the patch notes for .6 said the new dungeon will have some new abilities a Mirror Mage can steal) swap back to spellpower based stuff and stop using Mirror Stance.

A spellblade meanwhile tends to be a very squishy glass cannon, if you want to swap to that then usual stats are Strength, Agility, Willpower and then get Cunning or Presence from Boons like drinks depending. Use Charge Weapon likely, paired with maybe Power Wave and then Shatter to keep some of the Mirror Mage aspect, and either Phyria summon or something like Deadly Shadow, Smite Evil or other strong weapon-tagged Encounter with Banishment or Assassinate as Ult, use either robes that provide Spellpower or Attack Power (not sure if any clothes provide that, the Tiran Vestments at least provide good Spellpower), or strong defenses like Royal Leathers, at this point do get some Evasion focused gear as you want to avoid being hit. Bring a tank with you (Arona, Atugia, Azzyran, Quin or Ice-Brint) as you no longer want to be hit... preferably one with both a tanking set and damage set, in case you spot some power you want to try to Mirror after all.

You said you would prefer not to swap classes, but if you decide to (it doesn't take longer than swapping your ability scores around after all) then Warrior is best for that tanky Battle Mage so you can keep high threat and a moderately good Initiative to get that summon active while still wearing heavy armor, then either Black Mage or Thief for that Spellblade, either one can work just as well. You can still stay Black Mage as the tanky battlemage but you'll probably have the lowest initiative in every encounter, and may have to use War Cry to keep the attention of the guys you want to blast you with the stuff you want to Mirror.

Last edited:

v3hemenc3

Aug 29, 2017
The problem with Mirror Mage is that having the mirror stance active makes you by default the highest threat enemy that they are likely to focus on, so you should be focusing more on the tanky battle mage part of things rather than spell blade, get a high Toughness score (Toughness, Willpower, Presence and then use a summon like Phyria or the flame summons from the Temple of Terrestrial Fire, + Warcry to keep that threat and Shatter), wear armor instead of robes and eschew Evasion based stuff in preference for Armor and Warding (if you dodge it, you can't learn it), Mare's Ring to keep you healthy, and keep a healbot like Cait or Queenly Rainment Ryn on the ready, don't use another tank. Then when you have picked up the powers you want (the wiki is useful for that, if incomplete, for example the patch notes for .6 said the new dungeon will have some new abilities a Mirror Mage can steal) swap back to spellpower based stuff and stop using Mirror Stance.

A spellblade meanwhile tends to be a very squishy glass cannon, if you want to swap to that then usual stats are Strength, Agility, Willpower and then get Cunning or Presence from Boons like drinks depending. Use Charge Weapon likely, paired with maybe Power Wave and then Shatter to keep some of the Mirror Mage aspect, and either Phyria summon or something like Deadly Shadow, Smite Evil or other strong weapon-tagged Encounter with Banishment or Assassinate as Ult, use either robes that provide Spellpower or Attack Power (not sure if any clothes provide that, the Tiran Vestments at least provide good Spellpower), or strong defenses like Royal Leathers, at this point do get some Evasion focused gear as you want to avoid being hit. Bring a tank with you (Arona, Atugia, Azzyran, Quin or Ice-Brint) as you no longer want to be hit... preferably one with both a tanking set and damage set, in case you spot some power you want to try to Mirror after all.

You said you would prefer not to swap classes, but if you decide to (it doesn't take longer than swapping your ability scores around after all) then Warrior is best for that tanky Battle Mage so you can keep high threat and a moderately good Initiative to get that summon active while still wearing heavy armor, then either Black Mage or Thief for that Spellblade, either one can work just as well. You can still stay Black Mage as the tanky battlemage but you'll probably have the lowest initiative in every encounter, and may have to use War Cry to keep the attention of the guys you want to blast you with the stuff you want to Mirror.

Honestly I didn't think initiative would matter that much since mirror stance is up at every start of the battle, but I'll tynk about it. thanks for the input, I'll use the tanky battle mage set for now.

Amissa

Sep 5, 2021

If you don't mind me asking, what gear would you recommend in general for a Battle Mage/Tank in general? I know you mentioned about wearing heavy armour, mare's ring but what weapons or specific gear would be best. Looking to try a Battle Mage as I have mainly just stuck with Black Mage as I liked the class lore lol.

OribieND

Feb 20, 2022
Doing myself a black mage with mirror stance here's the most important parts of equipement I use:
•"lightblade"
•"panoply of the holy city" for the sundered immunity
•"senninbari" for the second chance
•"mare ring" for the 5 health regen each turn

and for the skills:
1680366062980.png

Reactions: Sacremas

Sacremas

Jan 11, 2023
If you don't mind me asking, what gear would you recommend in general for a Battle Mage/Tank in general? I know you mentioned about wearing heavy armour, mare's ring but what weapons or specific gear would be best. Looking to try a Battle Mage as I have mainly just stuck with Black Mage as I liked the class lore lol.

I haven't actually played a pure mage as a Mirror Mage as opposed to just making a warrior with the spread I said, running them up until I get the Mirror Stance and then playing on, and then swapping them later on, as my pure mages just ended up too squishy to use Mirror Stance on any difficulty past Story mode, though a viable option is to start as a black mage to get that Arcanist background and then swap to Warrior when you pick up the stance on level 3ish likely. So from that perspective I don't really bother much min-maxing the actual Mirror Stance "battlemage" all that much, I just use what I can find through normal playing rather than specifially go for gear, since my intention is to just use this as the starting point to go swoop up all the stuff I'm going to use in virtually another character entirely once I swap class + abilities. So consider like half this more theorycrafting than anything I have actually done, my mirror mages swap back from Warrior to Black or White Mage and go Spellblade around Winter City or so, and carry some alternate gear to fake it for like one fight via savescumming in the dungeon until I get the remaining boss powers I want. Or stick to Warrior and go for the Paladin thing.

Sanctified Gladius as long as you can keep that corruption low, Flametongue is an alternative, as is the Dawnsword, though it won't have the Spellpower bonus of the others. Spiraled Blade or Elthara's Scythe are great two-handed battlemage weapons, otherwise the regular mage weapons and staves like Fire Wand, Metal Wand, Control Rod (if you released Kiyoko and so gave up the best offensive neck in the game, not a good deal unless you really care about the Kinu stuff), Bladed Staff or Spiraled Staff are all obvious alternatives.

If you are playing on higher difficulties you will want to use a shield, and the Shield of Brawn is the best if so, no evasion and high armor + ward + physical resistance, but if the masculine TF every time it shields you from a crit is not desired, there's unfortunately not any good alternatives that don't give at least 5 evasion, Hoplon Shield is probably best alternative. Or just use a focus, NOT the Shield Orb since it lowers your already low crit and gives Evasion, but many other options if you don't use 2h.

Helm of Heroes, it'll buff your companions which as a tank will do most your damage for you, and your summons, especially as a Black Mage with the new level 7 perk. Titanic Hat as long as it gives you Spellpower, Arcane Circlet, or possibly Lureling's Eye for massive mental protection if you have the corruption to use it are good options.

Amulet of Union is the best offensive and okay defensive neck item in the game. Never release Kiyoko. Feel free to just play with your daughter and ignore the baby-crazy slut as soon as Kinu is born during night times. Serpent's Locket is a crappy alternative, even if Phyria is great, no offense and the defense is really only good if there's a decent amount of enemies using cold magic, which there's barely even in the Rift. Ward Amulet or Fox-Tail Charm are options for just protection.

Cloak of the Deeps, use Cloak of Winter until you get it though, and the Flame Cape before that.

The Conqueror's Breastplate is like your ultimate chest armor for a Mirror Mage, because it'll decrease your evasion, increase leadership and threat, and has a very high armor and ward, plus physical resistance. Plus you can just buy it so as soon as you get to Khor'minos with 1500 EC, there you go. Use a regular Breastplate until you get that, good Focus, and a Sexiness bonus that helps when just a Tease will work better than a spell or strike.

Linen Tunic for Focus boost, or Seaweave Bra for +4 Sexiness, one higher than the alternatives.

Whatever that gives sexiness, don't bother with Temptation too much if you aren't a Charmer (Sexiness = Spell Power, Temptation = Spell Pen). As far as I know, +3 is best you can get here.

Sennibari is the best here for just pure surviability, but if you want to keep that slut locked up and keep that Amulet, Evergreen's Bountiful Bag can be an alternative, and should boost the ongoing healing from Mare's Ring. Champion's Belt is the alternative since if you don't have a wand you'll probably be swinging your weapon around, and it gives good protection and shores up a weakness in the base Breastplate a bit. Reagent Pouch meanwhile gives some Ward, and some spellpower, making it the purchaseable mage alternative to Champion's Belt if you can get to Khor'minos. For early on before getting any of them, good old Leather Faulds is great.

Arm-Guards for some more Ward if it's low, or Gauntlets for physical protection.

Iron Clogs is your ideal footwear, reduces Evasion, gives good Armor, and Physical and Mental protection. Iron Boots until then.

Mare's Ring is awesome for boosting your health and keeping you alive. Wizard Ring is a good alternative and you'll use two of them until you get the Mare's Ring. Sometimes I put off recruiting Quin just to wait and give him the one I don't need any longer, but I'm cheap, lol. Guldring provides more Leadership to stack with your Conqueror's Breastplate and Helm of Heroes and then get mulltiplied by your level 7 Black Mage perk. Ring of Fate is an option to potentially give you a new Summon.

Always bring Cait, lol. She's awesome, and can be your healbot or with Hexblade do insane damage, or do charmer stuff. Viv could be an alternative later but is like a less useful Cait. If you free the slut then I guess Kiyoko is pretty good, especially when she tosses Karmic Retribution on you. Ryn is great in Queenly Rainment, but as DPS Harrick will interfere with your summons, if you use summons, put combat in Manual mode and never summon him unless your summon goes down. Otherwise never bring any tanks that could steal your aggro, but do bring whoever can deal a lot of damage and heal you.

As I said you need to avoid all gear with Evasion boosts, as you can only mirror something if it hits you, if you dodge it then you can't learn it, which in some instances can be incredibly frustrating, especially for those unique enemies that have very rare powers. Some items like Conqueror's Breastplate with Evasion penalties will actually help you in this regard.

Last edited:

v3hemenc3

Aug 29, 2017
Update: I'm currently using this build as a Warrior, with a stat distribution of Willpower = Presence > Toughness/Agility. For spells I have mirror stance, jade flame, fireball, Cassidy, and banishment. Would it be enough for the new dungeon on normal difficulty?

Screenshot_1.png