Bethany and Del

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
It's certainly possible that eventually you'll be able to assassinate Beth Carver.  The thing is that writing and implementing that now would be shortsighted.

Beth Carver, in case you hadn't noticed, is a major early-game villain.  She has places on Tavros, on Tarkus, a̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶N̶e̶w̶ ̶T̶e̶x̶a̶s̶, and assuredly wants to lay out brothels that serve as fronts for her slave trading operations elsewhere.  Given time to establish proper scope, such a villain allows for a long chain of events and dungeons leading up to a suitable final battle that gives Steele the opportunity to dismantle or usurp a wide-spanning organization, allowing the player to feel as though they've accomplished something that affects the world as a whole.  If Steele just pops a bullet into her head the first time they meet on Tarkus, all that potential is squandered just to satisfy a few itchy trigger fingers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
and on New Texas,

.... she does?

Not saying you're wrong, just that I've either forgotten/wasn't told.

If Steele just pops a bullet into her head the first time they meet on Tarkus, all that potential is squandered just to satisfy a few itchy trigger fingers.

Yep. Same reason you can't put a bullet in your cousin during Shekka's auction, or why you can't murder either of the Pirate Lords you run into. There are Big Story Things afoot you'd miss out on if you did.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I might be wrong on that, I'll have to go check, but I thought the Carver Catering Company ran or sponsored a non-brothel business on NT.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
It's certainly possible that eventually you'll be able to assassinate Beth Carver.  The thing is that writing and implementing that now would be shortsighted.

Beth Carver, in case you hadn't noticed, is a major early-game villain.  She has places on Tavros, on Tarkus, and on New Texas, and assuredly wants to lay out brothels that serve as fronts for her slave trading operations elsewhere.  Given time to establish proper scope, such a villain allows for a long chain of events and dungeons leading up to a suitable final battle that gives Steele the opportunity to dismantle or usurp a wide-spanning organization, allowing the player to feel as though they've accomplished something that affects the world as a whole.  If Steele just pops a bullet into her head the first time they meet on Tarkus, all that potential is squandered just to satisfy a few itchy trigger fingers.

I know, and that's why I turned away from that mindset. I kinda hope she'll eventually be the antagonist in a mission similar to KaraQuest2.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I know, and that's why I turned away from that mindset. I kinda hope she'll eventually be the antagonist in a mission similar to KaraQuest2.

Almost certainly, though there will probably be a lot of quests before that. Like ShekkaQuest (ETA never ;_;).

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
I might be wrong on that, I'll have to go check, but I thought the Carver Catering Company ran or sponsored a non-brothel business on NT.

Probably confused with Iced Teats, which also uses indentured servants, but not affiliated with CCC, or at least not directly so.

SorenMageofMareth

Aug 28, 2015
@SorenMageofMareth

I like to think of myself as an adamant supporter of team 'decent folks' in most RPing scenarious, but what you are doing is kink shaming. A lot of things in Fenoxo games goes deep into the 'not enjoyable with primate brain and/or empathy "on"' territory. Notice how the content guidlines talk about the 'things that shouldn't be here because main dev core doesn't like them' not 'filthy perversions only fit for the worst sort of scum'.

But it's a literal bad thing.  I'm not trying to kink shame but bitching about the story consequences of employing the fetish on people he does not control in game is just silly.  The fetish has an ultimate end and the actor has her own agenda. It's just something to be dealt with and that could reasonably avoid. It's not about meta punishment and my comment wasn't.  It was about actions having consequences which if followed with most of the crew learning would probably involve losing relationships at best. Like Coc an redlining corruption.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
@Couch games I enjoy the most are usually those that give the player a choice to apply their quick and dirty solutions, with appropriate results. Maybe I missed all the clues hinting at the scope of Beth's operations and plans, or maybe I don't care about anything or anyone beyond saving Reaha and Del.

However if getting both isn't an option and the choice is between getting a righteous-fury-sating stub or a proper fleshed-out questline, I'm obviously ont the side of getting moar content eventually.

PyrateHyena

Oct 13, 2015
But it's a literal bad thing.  I'm not trying to kink shame but bitching about the story consequences of employing the fetish on people he does not control in game is just silly.  The fetish has an ultimate end and the actor has her own agenda. It's just something to be dealt with and that could reasonably avoid. It's not about meta punishment and my comment wasn't.  It was about actions having consequences which if followed with most of the crew learning would probably involve losing relationships at best. Like Coc an redlining corruption.

I just wanna say that I can accept this just fine. I'm sorry if I sounded (and was) a bit ill-bitten about this as a whole. It is just that I would really want this option, even though it probably won't be a thing (from what I've heard/understood so far).