Beating Elthara help.

Starslayerbob

Dec 23, 2021
As title says I go in with myself, cait, female brint, and the elf sister comes with. I beat the guard captain pretty easy. But elthara heals so much in the fight that she won't die. What strategies can I use to take her down?

Starslayerbob

Dec 23, 2021
She's kind of squishy. High damage potential (preferably with a stun attached) can take her out in a round or two.
its weird I must being doing something wrong I took the guard captain down pretty easy but elthara literally is taking damage then full healing. Do I spam her with stuns? so she doesn't heal?

VerySexyGrammar

Aug 27, 2015
its weird I must being doing something wrong I took the guard captain down pretty easy but elthara literally is taking damage then full healing. Do I spam her with stuns? so she doesn't heal?

I can't really comment that much on the fight because I normally beat her almost instantly. I think that's the whole point, it's a damage capability check. If your offensive power is too low, she'll just heal herself to full before you can finish her off.

I would just nuke her. If there's a stun attached to one of the abilities you use, even better, it might prevent a heal.

One thing I'll say is that you have to use all your high-damage moves in succession. Whatever sequence of attacks doesn't kill her might just as well not have included any attacks at all, she'll heal and you're basically back to square one (perhaps even worse if you blew your one-time abilities).

Reactions: Burnerbro

Baggrin

May 16, 2019
Have you tried just teasing her into submission? I'm not sure (it was too long ago), but it seems that this is how I fight with her.

Baggrin

May 16, 2019
I didn't use any special abilities, I just used normal Tease (Presence 14).
With me was Cait and Arona, Ryn as a guest character. The latter, perhaps, was a big mistake: somewhere in the palace, Ryn gets a new outfit (new build) and is very powerful, includes the Blessing spell (an increase in the physical and magical attack of the entire group, roughly one and a half times). But the Blessing is longs for only one turn, so YOU have to decide when to apply it (use control of actions for the whole group and have Ryn as a permanent character, not a guest).

It is difficult for me to give any advice without knowing the details, but you can try Charm spell (a charmer's ability, a spell, applies arousal for 3 turns, reducing the target's mental resistance) and Soul Arrow (resolve damage, spell). The Blessing must be applied after the Charm spell before you can use Soul Arrow. Make sure Ryn is wearing the Royal attire, not her original:
Ryn_2.png

Use metal wand (purchased from a wandering caravan) and mage wand (purchased from Ivris) as weapons, have maximum willpower.. You may also want to buy the white mage's holy damage spells for your next battle.

UPDATE. Scratch that. Queen Alissa is vulnerable to fire, not holy damage. As for the next boss (This thing is capable of annihilating you with one attack!)... Well, I would say that your bet is the Banishment (Ultimate), but the next boss seems to really depend on your relationship with Kasyrra.

P.S. In the past, I have already expressed my opinion about the unfairness of the abilities of the bosses in general and the discussed bosses in particular. Well, I can say that my opinion has not changed. The nerf of crits only interferes with ME, opponents are still able to remove me from the battle with one or two attacks, not necessarily with crits!
PP.S Kasyrra, you are a very naughty woman. How dare you have a level 20, which is twice the planned maximum?

Last edited:

Ireyon

May 14, 2018
Elthara needs to be beaten with tease damage, no normal HP damage. If she isn't knocked out in a single turn she just heals herself back to full HP the next turn she gets. It's a puzzle boss.

VerySexyGrammar

Aug 27, 2015
Oh, hey... I hadn't even thought of trying that.

Some fights practically make Lust attacks a necessity (the honey golem is terrifying at lower levels), but since I've always beaten this one via overwhelming damage, it hadn't occurred to me to consider an alternate solution.

Makes sense, though. She's a huge perv, she would be vulnerable to Lust combat.

Burnerbro

Oct 24, 2020
You'd think that sparing a turn to use Sense would be an easy decision to make now that its success is guaranteed, but in practice harder fights require you to focus from the get go on either DPS/heals or your set up moves like Bless; meanwhile in easy fights the info you get serves no point besides completionism.

VerySexyGrammar

Aug 27, 2015
You'd think that sparing a turn to use Sense would be an easy decision to make now that its success is guaranteed, but in practice harder fights require you to focus from the get go on either DPS/heals or your set up moves like Bless; meanwhile in easy fights the info you get serves no point besides completionism.

That's generally a big problem with the action economy. Things like stances and Sense using up a whole turn when you've got all your moves off cooldown and when you need to weaken the enemy the most, in the end it's almost never worth it.

If I remember correctly, someone said it's being looked at. It's going to be interesting to see how they balance or rework that stuff.

Aelana

Apr 16, 2020
Azyrran song of splendor. If that isn't enough, put on some sexy gear before and shake what mama Kas has given you.

I play as a slut... I mean charmer, and she is a resolve pushover.

If I remember correctly, someone said it's being looked at. It's going to be interesting to see how they balance or rework that stuff.

Yeah, Savin wrote something like 'next year, after Khor' Minos", they are going to overhaul combat.

I am optimistic that something fun will turn out from it. The difficulty curve has suffered since all that new content was added.

GOI

Nov 16, 2016
From the words it by making combat take more turns and here is the talk on the whole level 7 perks that are either being reworked if the rebalance does not fix the issue of being offensively focused

wery12345

Aug 1, 2021
I think they planned the combat rework around this time, not after kor due to Kor being designed to the fact Kor is meant to be for level 7.

GOI

Nov 16, 2016
Savin did describe it a new years combat rework in above link from me

and that level 7 is after that though it should be done by now due to kor being level 7

Erzulie

Oct 4, 2021
Sense absolutely needs to have no action cost. At worst, its cost should be expensed against a separate resource from the action economy, perhaps a resource linking to item use. If Items and Sense were useable as free actions but had their use drew from a renewable pool, we might actually bother to use them.

Though even then, some Items wouldn't be that useful and would need further reworking.

I can't really comment that much on the fight because I normally beat her almost instantly. I think that's the whole point, it's a damage capability check. If your offensive power is too low, she'll just heal herself to full before you can finish her off.

I mentioned something like this before, but Elthara isn't just beatable with damage. If you have a sustain build going with all the characters most of the board seem to dislike and a strong summon -- Wolf Spirit -- she's takeable with a Leadership build. Instead of her heal being a swing in her favor, it's a sign of your inevitable victory because it gives you time to recover your (more precious) HP and rebuild shields on everyone. Your turn-by-turn damage builds up and she eventually has the heal on cooldown when she needs it. This strat is unaffected by crit nerfs.

I was running Atugia, Arona, and opening up with a Summons that pretty much never dies and sporting an all-in defense build as a primary healer. The problem with using a NPC primary healer is that their build needs to be very physical-defense heavy or they'll just end up desperately trying to keep themselves alive.

Baggrin

May 16, 2019
If you have a sustain build going with all the characters most of the board seem to dislike and a strong summon -- Wolf Spirit -- she's takeable with a Leadership build.

I apologize for any possible misunderstandings (English is not my first language), but did you just say that Arona and Brint are not very favorite companions?

I was running Atugia, Arona, and opening up with a Summons that pretty much never dies and sporting an all-in defense build as a primary healer.

I tried Atugia as a party option, I can't say that I liked it too much, she takes too much damage from AoE attacks...

Arona in her base form as a second tank? Its second form seems to be somewhat of questionable effectiveness and the third is somewhat specific in my opinion.

So you're saying that the all-defense-dedicated party composition is quite capable of surviving the fiercest bosses?

The problem with using a NPC primary healer is that their build needs to be very physical-defense heavy or they'll just end up desperately trying to keep themselves alive.

Platinum Words!
0.4.18 Bullshit.jpg0.4.18 Bullshit_2.jpg

I: Phyria, I choose you!
Chimera: Deals damage to the entire group through Cleeve.
Cait: Uses Charge Weapon as preparation for Chimera's one-shot with Smite Evil (Or finish off after my attack, as it happens.).
Chimera: attacking ... me? No. Cait as the only attacker? No.
Phyria? Also no, she is attacking my dear Ryn and critshoted her!
(Not expecting such meanness through ignoring the Threat level) Ryn: Lying knocked out.
Firiya: Attacks, but nobody cares.
Cait: Uses Devotion.
Chimera: Notices Cait's Threat level and attacks her.
Phyria: attacks again.
Chimera: Knocks out Ryn with one punch, showing that Cait's Ultimate is complete trash.
Me: Thank you very much, Game, I just have two spare Kaelirra's Tears, which I definitely don't need for boss fights!
After all, this is an ordinary (lonely) enemy of my level, not a wandering boss...

In my opinion, the main problem here is the lack of armor, even with a high defense rate. How much damage reduction does 100 defense now give, 50%? As a result, I completely despise armor without a high Physical Resist stat and prefer to ignore my companions without such a stat, because even this, as seen in Ryn's example, often does not help at all.

I would also say that of the NPC healers, Cait lacks group healing (heal the whole group after an AoE attack at once, and not try to guess which of the characters the boss will attack with his next attack), and Berwyn lacks targeted healing. I would also say that among the available companions, Berwyn's abilities are the worst, do not mix well with each other and do not complement the party very well...
So I would say that of all the companions with healing abilities, only Rin deserves attention.

UPDATE. REDACTED. Added a missing sentence, fixed two naming errors.

Last edited:

Ireyon

May 14, 2018
I apologize for any possible misunderstandings (English is not my first language), but did you just say that Arona and Brint are not very favorite companions?

I tried Atugia as a party option, I can't say that I liked it too much, she takes too much damage from AoE attacks...

Arona in her base form as a second tank? Its second form seems to be somewhat of questionable effectiveness and the third is somewhat specific in my opinion.

So you're saying that the all-defense-dedicated party composition is quite capable of surviving the fiercest bosses?

Platinum Words!
View attachment 20144View attachment 20145

I: Phyria, I choose you!
Chimera: Deals damage to the entire group through Cleeve.
Cait: Uses Charge Weapon as preparation for Chimera's one-shot with Smite Evil (Or finish off after my attack, as it happens.).
Chimera: attacking ... me? No. Cait as the only attacker? No.
Phyria? Also no, she is attacking my dear Ryn and critshoted her!
(Not expecting such meanness through ignoring the Threat level) Ryn: Lying knocked out.
Firiya: Attacks, but nobody cares.
Cait: Uses Devotion.
Chimera: Notices Cait's Threat level and attacks her.
Phyria: attacks again.
Chimera: Knocks out Rin with one punch, showing that Cait's Ultimate is complete trash.
Me: Thank you very much, Game, I just have two spare Kaelirra's Tears, which I definitely don't need for boss fights!
After all, this is an ordinary (lonely) enemy of my level, not a wandering boss...

In my opinion, the main problem here is the lack of armor, even with a high defense rate. How much damage reduction does 100 defense now give, 50%? As a result, I completely despise armor without a high Physical Resist stat and prefer to ignore my companions without such a stat, because even this, as seen in Ryn's example, often does not help at all.

I would also say that of the NPC healers, Keith lacks group healing (heal the whole group after an AoE attack at once, and not try to guess which of the characters the boss will attack with his next attack), and Berwyn lacks targeted healing. I would also say that among the available companions, Berwyn's abilities are the worst, do not mix well with each other and do not complement the party very well...
The Cait you're using here is her dps build, not her heal build. Of course it's not going to go well considering you have no actual healer in your team. Try Witch Cait and no one dies ever unless you get extremely unlucky.

Baggrin

May 16, 2019
Hmm, in my previous comment, I somehow missed the fact that I consider Ryn the only good healer as the only one who know both targeted and mass healing. I also have great respect for her rather high fortitude.

Of course it's not going to go well considering you have no actual healer in your team.

In my biased opinion, everything went too badly due to a combination of godlessly high damage and the fact that the fact that the enemy ( by ignoring the Threat level) removed my healer.
I also don't think Cait would do better as a healer, I have absolutely no trust in the witch's build. In my memory, I have used Cait in this form only once (Spectral Smith) and won more despite the build of my healer than thanks to it.

Aelana

Apr 16, 2020
Also a point, debuffs are often an overlooked aspect. Grease for example is an incredible killer spell, even against single target. Maybe that's how one can get witch cait to work. For me, I tried for a bit, but then stopped using her. Cait standard set is IMO a good choice, and meshes well with any party. Sun of Jassira reduces incoming dmg, her heal spell also heals herself, and whitefire is an easy single target dps spell.

She also generates enough threat to tank a hit from time to time.

Azyrran tease build is also really cool. She has song of splendor and allure, and the rest is stacked with heal, a DoT ability and her ultimate, which reduces damage. IMO the easier tease build than tease cait, because she can double as a healer/buffer in clutch situations.

There are different strategies that could work.

Reactions: Kesil

Erzulie

Oct 4, 2021

Arona is not well-regarded as a tactical companion on these boards, and Atugia far less so.

I have not experienced anything like this for reasons that will become apparent in a moment.

No. I'm saying that the heavy defense party makes every fight trivial with the exception of Kasyrra where it numerically can't work. If your PC is a healer/summoner and Arona is in her original outfit set, the NPCs, even using their AI, will keep themselves alive with you shoring up any big critical hits. The summoned wolf, which is unbelievably tough, will likely survive the whole fight. No one should get below 50% HP the vast majority of the time. Resolve damage is utterly trivial most of the game: I used Bolstering Dance out of fear of Resolve damage during much of my play with this team and dropped it without consequnce once I realized that it just wasn't important enough to dedicate anything but consumables to. (Bolstering Dance also granted Evasion but I found I was tanky enough to go without it.)

High Leadership means that your characters hit hard enough to grind everything down fairly handily which means the matches don't take as long as they could, but it has no real tactical value I've discovered (to my minmaxing horror and subsequent disappointment) because you will win every non-Kasyrra fight anyway. Without some kind of lifesteal or vampiric effect, damage bonuses in a tank comp will just reduce grind time unless some kind of DPS-check -- like Elthara, but generic -- is introduced as a very common tactical feature.

Honestly, since very few people even bother with making the PC the primary healer, or even with more than one tank NPC, it's unlikely the devs will even notice.

I haven't done some of the very newest content, but all of this so far holds even in Undermountain and for things like the Elemental. I ran Revive and never cast it, even in dungeons. Unbreakable is more useful: the PC is far more valuable and imperiled than any NPC.

The PC's build should assume you'll be hit with all the physical damage in the world, so high and heavy A(a)rmor is in order. Summon in the first round and be ready to heal.

Again: this hasn't been tested beyond Undermountain as yet, but it's basically immune to crit nerfs. Hell, being unsung, it's likely too under-the-radar to be addressed at all, for nerfs or buffs.

• Wow
Reactions: Burnerbro

Kingu2

May 20, 2020
Arona is not well-regarded as a tactical companion on these boards, and Atugia far less so.

I have not experienced anything like this for reasons that will become apparent in a moment.

No. I'm saying that the heavy defense party makes every fight trivial with the exception of Kasyrra where it numerically can't work. If your PC is a healer/summoner and Arona is in her original outfit set, the NPCs, even using their AI, will keep themselves alive with you shoring up any big critical hits. The summoned wolf, which is unbelievably tough, will likely survive the whole fight. No one should get below 50% HP the vast majority of the time. Resolve damage is utterly trivial most of the game: I used Bolstering Dance out of fear of Resolve damage during much of my play with this team and dropped it without consequnce once I realized that it just wasn't important enough to dedicate anything but consumables to. (Bolstering Dance also granted Evasion but I found I was tanky enough to go without it.)

High Leadership means that your characters hit hard enough to grind everything down fairly handily which means the matches don't take as long as they could, but it has no real tactical value I've discovered (to my minmaxing horror and subsequent disappointment) because you will win every non-Kasyrra fight anyway. Without some kind of lifesteal or vampiric effect, damage bonuses in a tank comp will just reduce grind time unless some kind of DPS-check -- like Elthara, but generic -- is introduced as a very common tactical feature.

Honestly, since very few people even bother with making the PC the primary healer, or even with more than one tank NPC, it's unlikely the devs will even notice.

I haven't done some of the very newest content, but all of this so far holds even in Undermountain and for things like the Elemental. I ran Revive and never cast it, even in dungeons. Unbreakable is more useful: the PC is far more valuable and imperiled than any NPC.

The PC's build should assume you'll be hit with all the physical damage in the world, so high and heavy A(a)rmor is in order. Summon in the first round and be ready to heal.

Again: this hasn't been tested beyond Undermountain as yet, but it's basically immune to crit nerfs. Hell, being unsung, it's likely too under-the-radar to be addressed at all, for nerfs or buffs.
OK out of curiosity, how long does it take you to finish fights on average?

Erzulie

Oct 4, 2021
Hm.

"Hard"* fight: open with summons, shield someone who's taken damage, spot heal while minding cooldowns, shield back up by now so heal the most targeted character for what's almost always the last time, so . . . no more than 6 rounds generally.

*E.g., one must actually pay attention.

Easy fight: throw a summon and a random shield and hit attack or whatever as fast as possible -- 3 rounds. Easy fights can't numerically be really lost so you don't pay attention to them; as such, it's possible for one to take longer in rounds but far, far less time than "hard" fights in real time expended.

If the enemy is a swarm or pack, you're waiting for Arona's AoE to proc multiple times and that could add a round or two. (This all assumes AI; manual control increases real-time duration and reduces rounds expended.)

So maybe an average of 4 rounds -- before Undermountain, easy fights are 95% of the game. As far as reoccuring mobs go, only the bunnygirl is a threat in the field

Because you coast through 99% of fights, only at risk of a fluke one-shot-before-you-can-act death (which, with a proper build and with current dev balance changes, I'm not sure is possible), you're trading attention for a few clicks. It makes it really, really hard to find out what NPCs do because you mostly just don't care.