Arona's Fighting Style

cobra

Aug 29, 2015
So, other then hand-waving, it their a reason Arona is able to fight with both a heavy two-handed hammer and wield a shield at once? This is impossible for similarity equipped player characters.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
Have you seen those muscles? It's presumably also why Brint can dual-wield his axe and mace; neither one skips arm day. :p

But if you're looking for something Doylist, it's probably because companions have limitations that the Champion does not and they get powers and equipment you (in many cases) can't have to compensate. Also because it helps make each one's gameplay unique.

cobra

Aug 29, 2015
Have you seen those muscles? It's presumably also why Brint can dual-wield his axe and mace; neither one skips arm day. :p

I'm pretty sure his weapons are the one-handed variety meant to be paired with a shield so its not impossible.

Undecided

Feb 16, 2021
I'm pretty sure his weapons are the one-handed variety meant to be paired with a shield so its not impossible.

brint.DCL.0.png

To be fair, I think a lot of it comes down to how tall Arona / Brint are - it is somewhat easier to duel wield two-handed weapons when you're higher off the ground than some player's champions are.

Brint is 8 and a half feet tall - so that axe is probably easily 8 feet in length (sort of like Naiyana's staff). But yeah, as Wolfram says - the companions have more constraints on them - hence why their styles would be different from the champion who can be a jack of all trades of combat styles, as well as master them.

I think that'd be the reason why there are alternate sets for our companions - to give them a mix up as well, like Arona's Chieftan's Bronze set.

Last edited:

cobra

Aug 29, 2015

To be fair, I think a lot of it comes down to how tall Arona / Brint are - it is somewhat easier to duel wield two-handed weapons when you're higher off the ground than some player's champions are.

Brint is 8 and a half feet tall - so that axe is probably easily 8 feet in length (sort of like Nanaya's staff). But yeah, as Wolfram says - the companions have more constraints on them - hence why their styles would be different from the champion who can be a jack of all trades of combat styles, as well as master them.

I think that'd be the reason why there are alternate sets for our companions - to give them a mix up as well, like Arona's Chieftan's Bronze set.

Actually, they are two-handed weapons. Well, a poleaxe (two-handed) and a mace (one-handed)

Kay, my bad.

G

guestapo

The companions already get higher base stats than the champion. That combined with all the unique powers they have really makes the champion feel unremarkable when all of their abilities are either taught by the local trainer or are stolen from someone who perfected them. The champion doesn't have anything that screams unique, which I get is necessary because some powers are stronger than others and you don't want people getting upset cause they chose the power that will get buffed in some 2 years so you make it easily reversible, but story wise it just shines a light on the champions unremarkableness. The only bit of uniqueness about the champion is their meta ability to become a chimeric patchwork abomination of all classes.

Only time I felt the champion has ever been better at something was when Berwyn said that summoning a fire elemental was beyond his abilities. But other than that the champion will in terms of abilities and specialization always play the role of second fiddle.

Now give me my stupid points.

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
Now give me my stupid points.
Yeah, no. You've completely lost the plot.

The PC's uniqueness lies in your (almost) complete freedom to not only pick and choose what class and stats you start with, but how they evolve as the game progresses. Not only that but you can completely change both your class and your power set later on. Tired of being a Black Mage with powers A, B and C? Spend a few electrum and become a Thief with powers X, Y and Z. And on top of that, you're not limited to powers from your current class.

The party NPCs start with better overall stats than you because they're intended as shields and guides while you figure out the game.

You know, like pretty much every RPG ever.

Last edited:

Balaknightfang

Resident Coke Addict
Aug 5, 2018
Also because they don't get the same level of fine-tuning you do. You have control over every single piece of equipment you wear, letting you focus in on specifics in a way that they typically can't. To compensate, they have to be a bit better at the broad strokes. It makes them good enough at their role to be viable while not making them overly specialized

SomeNobody

Dec 18, 2020
Its possible the PC might also get more unique stat-boosting traits based on their achievements through the quest? Like the boost to Resolve you get upon becoming the Champion of Winter City.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
Its possible the PC might also get more unique stat-boosting traits based on their achievements through the quest? Like the boost to Resolve you get upon becoming the Champion of Winter City.
I mean, it's happened once already and it can happen to companions as well (Ryn can get one or two permanent bonuses from the Catacombs dungeon depending on how you resolve it) so I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if more cases happen in the future.