Are you allowed to make mods without the mod support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2018
This has not been clearly answered in the FAQ:
Q.) Will it be developed in open source? Can I produce modifications for the game?
A.) No. CoC2 will be a closed source project and no support for modding is planned in any way.

The answer seems to put more emphasis on the open source part than on the actual modding part of the question.

From what I've read I am assuming you are allowed to make mods, there just won't be any mod support. If the making of mods is allowed, but there won't be any mod support, are you allowed to make an unofficial mod support for the game? And would you be allowed to post mods on the forums?

I know that there already is a basic unofficial CoC2 save file editor for the game, but it serves as an extension not as a modification of the game.To clarify: It doesn't change the source code of the game.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
>Can I produce modifications for the game?

>No.

stuff.jpg

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
This has not been clearly answered in the FAQ:
Q.) Will it be developed in open source? Can I produce modifications for the game?
A.) No. CoC2 will be a closed source project and no support for modding is planned in any way.

The answer seems to put more emphasis on the open source part than on the actual modding part of the question.

From what I've read I am assuming you are allowed to make mods, there just won't be any mod support. If the making of mods is allowed, but there won't be any mod support, are you allowed to make an unofficial mod support for the game? And would you be allowed to post mods on the forums?

I know that there already is a basic unofficial CoC2 save file editor for the game, but it serves as an extension not as a modification of the game.To clarify: It doesn't change the source code of the game.

"No support for modding is planned in any way"
Seems rather clear cut to me.

Modding, by its very nature is unofficial, but its whether or not the developers will allow mods that is the important part. If the creators don't want people to mod their creation, then that's their prerogative.

BubbleLord

Scientist
Creator
Jun 24, 2016
Maybe people should stop trying to worm interpretation into the FAQ and realize that CoC2 will not and does not need mods.

People didn't mod CoC until it was practically at the state that it had been abandoned. Why would you get to mod a game still being built? You'd at least think there'd be logic to come back in a few years and try then. No game dev worth their smarts allowed modding until their game was well outside of development stages and mostly content ready (even the bad Early Access games generally don't have/don't bring support until the games are stable).

It'd be super swell if people who wanted to mod CoC2 would just try to make official submissions for the game.

Unless they're trying to circumnavigate the restrictions in the game and forum's content list and, as a result, are breaking forum rules by trying to make that content present.

May 10, 2018
Modding, by its very nature is unofficial, but its whether or not the developers will allow mods that is the important part. If the creators don't want people to mod their creation, then that's their prerogative.
That's what I wanted to know, but wasn't sure about in the way it was being stated and *now* do know.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
You do realise that I added that post a minute after you, right?

May 10, 2018
Maybe people should stop trying to worm interpretation into the FAQ and realize that CoC2 will not and does not need mods.
Reason I asked.

Why would you get to mod a game still being built?
I like messing with game code, maybe other people want part of the code I use. And it's being stated mods will never be allowed, so this isn't about the game being in development phase. I didn't say I was going to release a mod while the game is still underdevelopment.
Though having looked at the transpiled source code it's not much different from the other games in structure, just a different programming language, so you could theoretically make a mod and it would still work when the game releases with maybe minor side effects depending on how you write your code.

No game dev worth their smarts allowed modding until their game was well outside of development stages and mostly content ready (even the bad Early Access games generally don't have/don't bring support until the games are stable).
You're talking about allowing modding and supporting modding interchangeably. Allowing modding is whatever for when a game is in development my opinion, since it doesn't affect the main content of the game. I can agree adding mod *support* when the game isn't done yet doesn't really make sense, since focusing on the main content for games like this will most likely be of higher priority. Again, I am not asking for them to add mod *support* I am asking if I can make a mod *without* it, and if said mod could still be posted on the forum or not. And again now I know the answer is no.

It'd be super swell if people who wanted to mod CoC2 would just try to make official submissions for the game.
Means I would have to follow the coding conventions of the original author(s) of the game and it would most likely mean I have no say on the content I am adding unless it doesn't have much of an impact on the game state itself.

wallpaper

Nov 29, 2017
Oldbies here have no patience for some questions. I don't think you're being rude, but they're likely responding so aggressively because they're clear on the subject among previous answers and expect everyone to read those before adding new questions, especially if new questions appear to be splitting hairs.

There's also the worry that mods would be used to provide blacklisted content, which might be bad for legal or ToS reasons. Not 100% on that.

May 10, 2018
@wallpaper
In my defense most of the times mods were mentioned it was about mod support and in a thread that got derailed. I don't feel like mod support should be a discussion if mods in their entirety are not allowed. I guess they had a different meaning behind the term mod support, but I can understand the points you made. Maybe we could hope for a green light system once the game has been released.

DrMostlySane

Sep 24, 2017

Unless they're trying to circumnavigate the restrictions in the game and forum's content list and, as a result, are breaking forum rules by trying to make that content present.

Honestly speaking whats wrong with letting people add in things they want through mods that the Devs don't want to do themselves?

I don't see how it'd be a problem to have two versions of the game exist, one with or without certain types of content, so long as the only people profiting off the actual game are the original creators / people actively working on it's development in all regards (such as stability, coding, etc...)

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
Honestly speaking whats wrong with letting people add in things they want through mods that the Devs don't want to do themselves?

I don't see how it'd be a problem to have two versions of the game exist, one with or without certain types of content, so long as the only people profiting off the actual game are the original creators / people actively working on it's development in all regards (such as stability, coding, etc...)

Because if we don't want it in the real game there's a reason for that. Either it's low quality, doesn't fit the game, or is banned. Having mods floating around that don't meet our rules and standards and can be confused with the real game causes many different headaches.

If your content isn't low quality, fits the tone/setting of the game, and doesn't contain any blacklisted stuff there shouldn't be any issues getting it into the game.

Z

Zoey

Well, from a purely legal standpoint as long as you don't redistribute any of the games original code you have the right to add whatever you want.
Other than things that would be considered unlawful.
Blizzard sued a few people for creating WoW hacks but the justification was that they inflated the in game market. It was essentially an espionage claim.
As long as it doesn't interfere with other players (which it cant because the game is single player) your good.
At worst it might be a ToS violation but as far as i know the game doesn't have ToS yet, and either way you cant sign away rights.
That one comes up a lot when people talk about the 50 shades of grays contract. (for those that don't know it basically said gray can rape whoever signs it.)
This does assume you live in the US of course.

TL;DR
You own the code you write and can do what you want with it. Just don't redistribute the games code.

Also @Upcast Drake

Things that devs don't want in there games but others do is what mods are for, IE Skyrims Requiem mod basically changes the whole tone of the game and many people wanted that.
Or perhaps more relevantly CoC prisoner, which creates massive sweeping changes to the game and Fen actually has listed in the links tab on the main site.

"CoC Prisoner – okay, this isn’t actually mine but a mod of mine but its awesome and the submissives out there should love it." ~Fenoxo

I dont mean to disrespect you but honestly, all of the reasons you said you dont want it in the real game are what moding is for.
There are many mods that if put in the base game would make it worse for most people but that doesn't mean people shouldn't mod it in if they would like.
If you install a mod it was because you chose too, it doesn't make the game worse for everyone and if it does for you then uninstall it.
(skyrim train dragons anyone?)
If someone wants to add something you don't like too your game (Like the blacklisted stuff that isn't illegal or things that don't fit the tone) why shouldn't you let them?
Just because you dont want it in your game doesn't mean others don't!
Or what if they want to change existing stuff or remove things they don't like? So much of modding isn't even covered by your reasons!

Wow that was way more "emotional wall of texty" than i was intending, sorry about that.

TL;DR 2.0 just because you don't want it in the game doesn't mean others shouldn't mod it.

Z

Zoey

Actually that last TL;DR was poor, more like "you don't have to support mods, but you shouldn't try to stop people from making them."

Thats better.

Ch0w

Apr 12, 2017
Why won't nintendo let me mod in mario fucking bowser?
nintendo doesn't know what it actually does, and its not really a good example

see the PokeMMO game
It has over 4 years and uses all pokemon roms/isos to base and run the game on, so u need to download at least one of them to play it, being able to load 3-5 diferents roms at the same time in the game.

while that is still free and never got ANY strike from nintendo ordering it to close down, some others mods/versions that change almost nothing to them have felt the weight of nintendo's legal hammer just because they asked for support/money to keep doing them.

so yeah as long the other person isnt getting ANY money from doing it, the "not allowed" is nothing more than a empty threat, even after having the legal papers and ToS ready at hand.

PS: someone can always just mod undercover not making a big fuss about it, so you can mod mario to fuck bowser if thats what you really want HugsAlright

B

Creator
Jul 13, 2016
You couldn't have missed the point by a wider margin if you tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.