Are wings on the PC just for show or do you actually use them in some scenes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doeber

Feb 23, 2017
I got dragon wings from a refined Manticore Nip and had them for a while until I removed them 'cause I felt like they were utterly ignored in every scene.

Are there moments in the game where winged PCs actually make use them or did I just give up too soon?

coldmonkey

May 11, 2016
There's the Tail Whack power from having a thick tail, but I'm pretty sure that's a fairly mediocre power at best.

Doeber

Feb 23, 2017
All transformations are just for show.

That's too bad, though not entirely surprising. Although I think it'd be cool to see wings taken into account. Like for instance in the dungeon during the quest "Getting Into The Closet" given by Sanders there's an elevated position which you can climb up to with a strength/agility check or bypass the check by spending 1 camping supplies to climb up. Once the PC has reached the high point they have three options to sabotage a cultist barricade set up in a narrow choke point in the mountains by throwing either a flask of wyvern oil or naphtha or have Quintillus throw a fireball down at them.

I think it'd be pretty neat for winged PCs to have a third option to fly up to the point in case they fail the climb or don't have any camping supplies. This might be offset by making it a higher risk move and get the PC spotted by the pleasure cultists prematurely since they're not hugging the cliff for cover as they climb or the fact you'd have to carry Quintillus up there if you brought him with you or just exclude him altogether.

I dunno, just an idea I wanted to share.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
That's too bad, though not entirely surprising. Although I think it'd be cool to see wings taken into account. Like for instance in the dungeon during the quest "Getting Into The Closet" given by Sanders there's an elevated position which you can climb up to with a strength/agility check or bypass the check by spending 1 camping supplies to climb up. Once the PC has reached the high point they have three options to sabotage a cultist barricade set up in a narrow choke point in the mountains by throwing either a flask of wyvern oil or naphtha or have Quintillus throw a fireball down at them.

I think it'd be pretty neat for winged PCs to have a third option to fly up to the point in case they fail the climb or don't have any camping supplies. This might be offset by making it a higher risk move and get the PC spotted by the pleasure cultists prematurely since they're not hugging the cliff for cover as they climb or the fact you'd have to carry Quintillus up there if you brought him with you or just exclude him altogether.

I dunno, just an idea I wanted to share.

From a gameplay point of view, that would be providing an unfair advantage to players for what ought to be a cosmetic decision. We're generally trying to avoid the winged dragon naga ultimate life-forms of CoC1.

Doeber

Feb 23, 2017
From a gameplay point of view, that would be providing an unfair advantage to players for what ought to be a cosmetic decision. We're generally trying to avoid the winged dragon naga ultimate life-forms of CoC1.

Yeah, that sounds reasonable. Thanks for your time and input!

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
I think it'd be pretty neat for winged PCs to have a third option to fly up to the point in case they fail the climb or don't have any camping supplies.

This won't really help, but you can also just pretend that's what happened. What matters in the long run i think is what happens in your mind anyways. That's what i do when i wish i could do a different action ^^

Reactions: DaisukeKaiser
M

Maximum Dong

I was thinking the same.
Since harpies and manticores can fly out reach using their wings making close combat much harder.
If the PC also had wings why can't they do the same?

Reactions: Salomon and Doeber

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Because the harpies and manticores were born with those wings and have evolved to make use of them.

Meanwhile the Champion was someone who thought "Hey, I wonder what this tastes like" and chewed a leaf and ended up with wings by chance.

Reactions: Salomon

Exrav

Apr 17, 2020
Because the harpies and manticores were born with those wings and have evolved to make use of them.

Meanwhile the Champion was someone who thought "Hey, I wonder what this tastes like" and chewed a leaf and ended up with wings by chance.
And also to avoid the power-builds of TiTS.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
And also to avoid the power-builds of TiTS.

That was pretty much covered by Observer's comment about the "winged dragon naga ultimate life-forms of CoC1." Because until TiTS, transformatives did have an effect on combat in CoC1.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
If the PC also had wings why can't they do the same?
Just to provide a bit more context, if you were to give the PC the ability to fly by having wings, it means they get a huge evasion boost that lasts the entire fight unless they're knocked out of it and either every battle in the game has to be balanced around the idea that the player will do this (in which case it punishes players who don't) or it has to assume they won' take advantage of thist (in which case players who do get an unfair advantage). So yeah, it's a game balancing thing.

Reactions: Evil

Lukistr

Mar 18, 2019
Just to provide a bit more context, if you were to give the PC the ability to fly by having wings, it means they get a huge evasion boost that lasts the entire fight unless they're knocked out of it and either every battle in the game has to be balanced around the idea that the player will do this (in which case it punishes players who don't) or it has to assume they won' take advantage of thist (in which case players who do get an unfair advantage). So yeah, it's a game balancing thing.
I mean to be fair flight is an actual power so it takes a at-will slot and a turn to activate. It's also useless against spells ranged and anything that also flies. Depending on your build that might be a big hit. And I do understand why the devs decided to make tfs have minimal effects in combat even if I don't generally agree with the decision [And despite playing coc1 I never once bothered with the "superbuild' even though I knew about it. Fashion souls is the way to go not minmaxing but that might be just me].

Last edited:
Reactions: Colourless

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
...not minmaxing but that might be just me].
Of course it is. There are LOADS of people out there that enjoy min/maxing in any and every game they play, be they video, tabletop or otherwise. People like that aren't always fun to face across a tabletop, but this is a single-player game so who cares, right?

Well, all the other players who want to build their character based on their own personal preferences and don't always go for the most powerful options, that's who. These are the folks that live by the Rule of Cool, and we...I mean, they dislike it when they think they might be forced into a specific build (or even build type) in order to remain competitive.

So, the Devs went about trying to create as level a playing field as they could. Minimizing or outright omitting TFs with combat bonuses was just one way they did that.

Lukistr

Mar 18, 2019
Of course it is. There are LOADS of people out there that enjoy min/maxing in any and every game they play, be they video, tabletop or otherwise. People like that aren't always fun to face across a tabletop, but this is a single-player game so who cares, right?

Well, all the other players who want to build their character based on their own personal preferences and don't always go for the most powerful options, that's who. These are the folks that live by the Rule of Cool, and we...I mean, they dislike it when they think they might be forced into a specific build (or even build type) in order to remain competitive.

So, the Devs went about trying to create as level a playing field as they could. Minimizing or outright omitting TFs with combat bonuses was just one way they did that.
As I said I fully undertand why the devs did what they did and frankly it was an issue with no easy solution.And I mean I sometimes when I have nothing better to do enjoy minmaxing in the sense of figuring out the "best" build but I never actually use it unless it happens to be something that makes sense/ I enjoy thematically and sometimes not even then. To me being one punch man is just boring. Like here with just adding powers your companions have but the pc can't get and not touching stats I made a pyromancer that I enjoy thematically but is just so op it takes the fun out of playing for me. Or you can just get the Kitsune ranged weapon that does mind damge{ eternal delusion I thnik] get dastardly strike and oneshot literally any single entity in the game with one exception{ since it's immune to all damage mental and physical] but where is the fun in that.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
So you have actually gone so far off track that you're actually barrelling into another thread.

At the end of the day, wings aren't really much of an advantage in this game. Something will invariably be able to fly or is equipped in such a way as to counter flight. Got a barbarian with wings? Sure, they can get to their enemies faster, but they're also telegraphing where they're coming from. Got a mage with wings? Congratulations, you've now made yourself the most visible target in the fight.

QTPie

Mar 20, 2020
Not trying to commit necromancy but technically yes, there are variables to check for wings in scenes and I know of at least one scene that uses them. If you breed the harem cats with a set of wings and are in rut (at least, I believe rut is a requirement), your fuck frenzy is actually so powerful that you manage to fuck one of the cats while on the ceiling.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
Not trying to commit necromancy
*Sees last comment was on the 14th of this month*
This isn't even close to a necro-worthy thread.

QTPie

Mar 20, 2020
*Sees last comment was on the 14th of this month*
This isn't even close to a necro-worthy thread.

Look pal, I’m just an amateur necromancer trying to make a living, you can’t fault me for starting small

Jokes aside I just wanna be polite because I don’t know what’s considered old or not

K

Kyelfi

I think people are getting way into arguing about how broken stuff could be, when you could just make it so tf's have uses/are acknowledged out of combat, flying up to elevated positions, maybe flying out your window or something. using tails for certain sex scenes or to catch yourself from falling in random exploration dialogue, having the option to swim across the river more easily when fording in the plains. you can avoid combat unique effects from tf's while still making it feel like your race matters for people who want to pretend to be a harpy, mothfolk, or whatever.

(Also the flying in combat could easily be solved by making it an ultimate move for PC's, considering that's about the power level it's on, as well as being blocked out of certain armour that doesn't fit your wings if they wanted to go that route :p)

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
I think people are getting way into arguing about how broken stuff could be, when you could just make it so tf's have uses/are acknowledged out of combat, flying up to elevated positions, maybe flying out your window or something. using tails for certain sex scenes or to catch yourself from falling in random exploration dialogue, having the option to swim across the river more easily when fording in the plains. you can avoid combat unique effects from tf's while still making it feel like your race matters for people who want to pretend to be a harpy, mothfolk, or whatever.
This already happens, to an extent, e.g. as in the trip to and from the Hive. It's just bounded by how much individual writers wish to make use of it.

Also, hell of a necro, friendo.

Angelus

Oct 17, 2019
So there's minor dialog uses like the hive, there's a silly use when breeding the cat harem, along with a few other things (wing related). Also, my 2 cents on "the MC chooses to have it afterward"... I started my wyld elf with wings lol. No transformation really, so I would figure they would get at least minor use out of the wings :D
Though I will admit... there are times I wish I could have a "take flight" option while doing my blue mage thing with mirror stance... but that's a bit unrelated ^^;

Shalamar

Apr 1, 2021
Another example is in the Zo training where your jumping up the tree it makes reference to if you have wings, along the lines of 'You could just fly up there, but that would defeat the purpose of the training wouldn't it?'

Status
Not open for further replies.