Appearance idea

Mutant Sex Addict

Nov 25, 2017
This is probably quite an old idea but I was wondering if a way of getting piercings could be possible. Maybe a shop on Canadia could do it and possibly piercings that give status effects.

Coalsack

Aug 28, 2015
I dunno about status effects, since that kind of things, as well as racial advantages/perks were dropped with CoC.

The idea is nevertheless interesting. I remember seeing a tattoo parlor on the submission list, but I don't remember if it includes piercings.

Lashcharge

Aug 27, 2015

cool.alexia

Feb 16, 2017
May be a stupid question: Does it just need support, or would Fen & Friends resent support?

cool.alexia

Feb 16, 2017
If you mean "Lots of people saying they want it" then no.
Oh no, I call that pestering. With support I meant coding and writing things.

No idea if my writing is good enough, but I can code and want to help. I wanted to write someone that I'd like to help, but I've been procrastinating.

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
The problem with it is it would be a pretty hefty effort to implement, no current scenes would support it, and it's fairly niche. It'd just feel tacked-on and neglected unless people were to write support for lots of scenes.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
So does Pickmentation's marking status effects. Yet those got fixed and added properly onto the TF like they were meant to anyways despite the fact they are only in the appearance screen and don't have any effect on the field whatsoever since they're purely meant to be cosmetic. :/

Tats would really be no difference to that as all the markings are cosmetic. I don't see why that's always the excuse that they would NEED people making note of them, when nobody does that for Vanae or shark markings or anything as is, yet those affects are in.

Last edited:

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
It's the "slotting" aspect of the tattoos. This isn't like Vanae-markings where you either have them or you don't- that's as easy as creating a status effect.

Imagine you got a really stretchy bracelet item. It's so stretchy you could put it almost anywhere. Now it needs to be coded so you can put it almost anywhere. And there's also tons of different colors it can be.

Now you get an even stretchier bracelet item. This one really can be put anywhere. Now it needs to be coded so you can put it anywhere. It's got colors too.

Now you get a bracelet that's so rigid it can only fit on you wrist. It needs to be coded to only go on your wrist. Colors.

Now you have to add appearance screen text logic for this Steele that is wearing 8 super stretchy bracelets, 2 sorta stretchy bracelets, and 1 super rigid bracelet, all of which are different colors and have different descriptors for their colors.

And if the player wants their bracelets to show up in scenes, we'll need parser tags for [pc.braceletLeftArm], [pc.braceletFullButt], [pc.braceletRightLeg], etc.

Now multiply x2 since it's the same system for piercings and tattoos.

It's not impossible, really it's not even that hard, but it's a lot of work.

The system could be dummied down hardcore so there's just new tattoo and pierced flags for body parts (i.e. no types or colors, body part is pierced or not and that's it) very, very easily. They'd still be neglected like Vanae-markings and tentacle wings, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freed85

cool.alexia

Feb 16, 2017
The system could be dummied down hardcore so there's just new tattoo and pierced flags for body parts (i.e. no types or colors, body part is pierced or not and that's it) very, very easily. They'd still be neglected like Vanae-markings and tentacle wings, though.

I assumed it would be the dummied down version. If it is not much more than flags, the parser can occasionally produce text like 'your pierced fox ears', which is pretty good in my eyes. The description on how the piercing looks exactly should be left to the Appearance screen.

IMO there is no point in adding complex systems that is left to the writers to handle. There is already enough of that. No idea how hard it is to modify the parser, that's the only major piece I haven't had a look at.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I don't see why that's always the excuse that they would NEED people making note of them, when nobody does that for Vanae or shark markings or anything as is

Those are also poorly-thought-out additions. Like almost all TFs. But cosmetic TFs aren't on the same level as, say, non-biped transformations in terms of how critical a lack of support feels; I'll disagree with Drake that tats and piercings would really need any significant scene support.

Oh no, I call that pestering. With support I meant coding and writing things.

No idea if my writing is good enough, but I can code and want to help.

Oh! Well, now you have my attention. People actually willing to help clear out the backlog are always welcome.

Yeah if you wanna code things, go right ahead. Piercings should be relatively easy straightforward, at least, as you described above; it's been like a year+ since I looked at the tats material but if needs must that can be added separately or cut if it's too complex for poor ol' TiTS' spaghetti code.

cool.alexia

Feb 16, 2017
And here I was thinking the nightmare was over...
Naah, I've seen worse.

Actually, I think it is overall on the 'good' side of code. I've seen over-engineered codebases where you go mad before you understand what the code is actually doing. *Cough* TOMCAT *cough* *cough*