Any interest in cosmetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
Honestly, if you want to be a whore, why not look the part?

Want to look like a Vanae? There you go.

Raccoon mask? Gotcha.

This would open up a nice platform for further character customization.

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
They sure are. Who's going to write it?
There's no scene to write, it's a framework. TF creators can use it to allow people to access traits of their TFs without having to use the actual item. As for who codes the framework, fuck if I know or care. This is just a suggestion made in light of the 20 or so forum posts about obtaining specific TF attributes without savescumming or modding.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Then I would not expect it to ever actually happen.

If you had said "I'm going to write it", then I would have suggested you write up a new elf or fairy to add to Shear Beauty, which would be an appropriate place for it.

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
Then I would not expect it to ever actually happen.

If you had said "I'm going to write it", then I would have suggested you write up a new elf or fairy to add to Shear Beauty, which would be an appropriate place for it.

I feel as if you're riding on the assumption that I cared if it didn't get implemented by someone else. I don't.

The fairy bit is a nice idea.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
There's no scene to write
You are very wrong. Since it changes appearance, it is basically a TF item. So it should at least have:
— Explanation how exactly it should work (in terms of user experience, not coding)
— Shop, with a shopkeeper (Ceria will do, though)
— Item description
— Character appearance blurbs
— Use scenes

Reactions: Zavos

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
You are very wrong. Since it changes appearance, it is basically a TF item.

I am not wrong. I am suggesting a framework for cosmetics, not the cosmetics themselves. There are no scenes needed until cosmetics and a cosmetic vender are added to the framework.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
I am not wrong. I am suggesting a framework for cosmetics, not the cosmetics themselves. There are no scenes needed until cosmetics and a cosmetic vender are added to the framework.
Okay, let's roll this back a bit. What, aside from precise effects and modular nature, will make this cosmetic something you suggest actually different from regular TFs? We don't need any additional framework to support targeted modding device/items, if it weren't for devs policy pushing for different approach, we would have had a whole bunch of them in the game already.

When clicking on this thread, I thought that you are going to talk make-up. "Finally, I'd be able to satisfy my sexy clown fetish". No luck there, it seems.

NotYouNorI

Aug 26, 2015
Actially, it's the opposite. There is no need for a framework when there aren't an cosmetics and appearance description written to use it.

Also you don't even need a totally new framework for this. Just have the cosmetics be a status effect like Vanae markings are.

Edit: got ninja'd...

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
It's whatever you want it to be. Giving it its own section would be cleaner, because let's say there was an option to remove cosmetics and you just used traditional flags. You could remove the raccoon mask you get from the Nuki TF as well as the cosmetic version because they're just the same flag.

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
What, aside from precise effects and modular nature, will make this cosmetic something you suggest actually different from regular TFs?
I guess with that logic you'd also say hair length changes at the salon are a TF. It can account for clown makeup I guess, but it's more for safer, easier attributes from other TFs that people have been asking for.

Glad there's more activity here than just Couch subtly accusing me of being a lazy bum expecting other people to implement my ideas.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
It's whatever you want it to be. Giving it its own section would be cleaner, because let's say there was an option to remove cosmetics and you just used traditional flags. You could remove the raccoon mask you get from the Nuki TF as well as the cosmetic version because they're just the same flag.
You can expand it later, but you won't get engine unless you write a content for it, and for a good reason. New mechanics should be implemented with an example for each of its aspects. Or it would be done wrong. So all listed should be done simultaneously, as the single project.
I guess with that logic you'd also say hair length changes at the salon are a TF. It can account for clown makeup I guess, but it's more for safer, easier attributes from other TFs that people have been asking for.
TF and service are basically the same - a scene which describes what code is doing behind the scene. The only difference is the entry point.

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
You can expand it later, but you won't get engine unless you write a content for it, and for a good reason. New mechanics should be implemented with an example for each of its aspects. Or it would be done wrong. So all listed should be done simultaneously, as the single project.
TF and service are basically the same - a scene which describes what code is doing behind the scene. The only difference is the entry point.
When did we start talking about this? I believe the thread started off with me asking if anyone was interested in the idea and Couch trying to pin me as a lazy person who wanted someone else to do the work for me.

I don't see the point in the hostility. I suggest a cosmetic flag for cleanliness and to sate some of the recent requests and I get jumped on in every post thereafter.

Also, the content is already written. It's in the TFs.
As I have said countless times before, this is a way for people to get certain features from TFs without having to take the respective items. Read and think before you post.

Last edited:

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
When did we start talking about this? I believe the thread started off with me asking if anyone was interested in the idea and Couch trying to pin me as a lazy person who wanted someone else to do the work for me.

I don't see the point in the hostility. I suggest a cosmetic flag for cleanliness and to sate some of the recent requests and I get jumped on in every post thereafter.
Because if the "write it yourself" rule. And the "I don't know how it works, but I'm sure it is simple" attitude.

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
Because if the "write it yourself" rule. And the "I don't know how it works, but I'm sure it is simple" attitude.
Here you go assuming I'm a dumbass. That's the way to do it.

"I code so I must know everything and everyone who hasn't shown they can code must be dumbasses who can't grasp the concepts I deal with" attitude here. Maybe you're not grasping the concepts I'm suggesting, hm?

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Here you go assuming I'm a dumbass. That's the way to do it.

"I code so I must know everything and everyone who hasn't shown they can code must be dumbasses who can't grasp the concepts I deal with" attitude here. Maybe you're not grasping the concepts I'm suggesting, hm?
Then you should describe it better.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015

Because we get threads like this all the time where someone says "is anybody interested in {thing}", and people say "yes" and the thread creator is not actually volunteering to write {thing}, which means it doesn't get written. If you have no interest in writing the material, then what is even the point of making the thread? Things don't write themselves, even if you think it would be easy. Especially if you think it would be easy, in fact, you should be volunteering to write it yourself if you care about it enough to want to make a thread.

If I'm annoyed it's because I expect this sort of thing out of people with single-digit post counts, but I was of the impression that you knew better than this.

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
@Couch

The effort of starting a thread with an original word count of under 50 is dwarfed by that of writing cosmetics. Most of the cosmetic content is also already written in the form of TFs. It's basically copy paste for appearance descriptions.

The point of this thread was to hopefully get some "yes" and "no" responses. If people wanted it, they'd say yes, and with that idea in mind, they may very well ask for it. Savin, Fen, or Geddy could see the thread and say "Hm, seems like this would be worthwhile to pursue" and then implement some cosmetic flags and repurpose the text of certain TFs to work as cosmetics. Later, TF creators can make specific cosmetic scenes if they so choose. There is nothing there for me to write unless I make a TF.

Hence why I said it was a framework. There's not much more to it than "You now have a raccoon mask!", "Ceria goes to work on your (affected body area), applying a variety of pigments bla bla" and copy pasting the appearance descriptions from the Nuki TF, scene wise .

So if people want it (they do) it might get into the game without having to do the work myself. I'd like to see it, but I'm not fidgeting in anticipation.
On the "it's not worth making into a thread" angle, have you not seen noob's posts?

Most of this would exist in code and I'm not touching anybody's codebase but my own

Last edited:

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
it might get into the game without having to do the work myself
And this is the problem's summary.

Savin, Fen, or Geddy could see the thread and say "Hm, seems like this would be worthwhile to pursue" and then implement
That's exactly what we are saying. You offer it - you write it.

implement some cosmetic flags
That's what I'm saying when I'm saying that you have no idea how it works and yet making assumptions.

There is nothing there for me to write unless I make a TF.

Hence why I said it was a framework. There's not much more to it than "You now have a raccoon mask!", "Ceria goes to work on your (affected body area), applying a variety of pigments bla bla" and copy pasting the appearance descriptions from the Nuki TF, scene wise .
This is what a TF is. A scene which describes how someone or something doing something with your something with some effect.

Owens

Sep 3, 2016
@Alexa, no one is calling you a dumbass. They're expressing confusion at the idea you have presented, since you haven't explained it at all. You mention setting up a 'framework' for people to work with, but why is that necessary? If you want a cosmetic function added to the game, draft a TF or NPC that can accomplish that goal and throw it up for people to look at, OR post an actual idea and ask for suggestions/contributions from other people. Don't make a vague post about appearance customization and how useful it would be if someone were to write it for you.

To follow my own advice, this is my suggestion: Take Couch's idea for an NPC that handles cosmetic appearance, and set it up similarly to Misty's facial fairy that's planned for Ceria's shop. Like, she's an art major, and practices her craft on customers or something. As for actual effects, maybe she gives you a makeover that improves sexiness until you shower (represented in a status), or maybe she can give the player tattoos on parts of their bodies (cheeks, upper arms, belly, lower back, wherever). You seem interested in the Vanae markings, maybe she can give those to the player, or other styles of markings? Like tiger stripes, or tron lights, or whatever.

The point is, people are willing to help, but only if you're actually interested in writing something. If you just want to catch the attention of other people and have them do the work for you, you're in for a rude awakening. Other people aren't necessarily interested in what you want, so if you want it, you write it.

JDeko

Aug 27, 2015
Kekistan
www.facebook.com
I'd love to just buy lipstick to change Steele's lip color

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
I don't really see a huge demand for a faux version of other transformatives in the form of cosmetics. A lot of cosmetics in general would be an anachronism in the setting considering how easy it is to change things like coloration, so if there was to be any cosmetic stuff I would say it should probably come in the form of targeted mods for the coloration of certain things like lips or eyelids.

And yeah, someone would have to write the effects.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I don't really see a huge demand for a faux version of other transformatives in the form of cosmetics. A lot of cosmetics in general would be an anachronism in the setting considering how easy it is to change things like coloration, so if there was to be any cosmetic stuff I would say it should probably come in the form of targeted mods for the coloration of certain things like lips or eyelids.
Some people just can't settle with one choice. Though non-goo shapeshifting would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.