An idea, wondering if it's worth fully fleshing out

zanza313

Apr 9, 2016
Hi,

Thanks for taking a look and letting me know what you think.
The idea has been shelved.

Thanks

Last edited:

Raindrops

Jun 19, 2016
Seems awfully complicated for a first project... Might be useful to dial it down a bit until you get a few projects under your belt.

wallpaper

Nov 29, 2017
I'm wondering if you could write an elevator pitch of about 300-600 words, max, that focuses what you've written here for others to quickly parse? I'm finding the current document looks very untidy, with lots of half-finished thoughts and notes to yourself for later. It makes understand what you're proposing quite confusing.

If you haven't written anything yet, I agree with @Raindrops -- take some extra time to examine other documents that have made it into the game and try to arrange this one so that it has easy navigation between all of the different bits and pieces. In the meantime, consider trying a one-shot scene like a sex-scene or a quick conversation with a passing NPC. Something that you could finish in less that 1-5K words. The reason I suggest this is that it gives you a way to play with how parser tags work, so you can see how complex a simple scene can turn as you consider more protagonist and/or party variables.

Once you've done some simple scenes, you'll better understand what direction you'll need to take with this concept.

wallpaper

Nov 29, 2017
Simple scenes and one shot encounters are definitely better for first projects than dungeons. there's a reason for there only being 0-1 dungeons or mini dungeons in any given area in both coc1 and tits. Its the same reason 90% of the outliers are done by the same authors

How long does it take to write a full dungeon, even if there are only four rooms? (Or like, do you have an idea of what the word-count would be looking like?)

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
I would imagine that it would depend on the content and what happens. Not to mention dialogue, encounters, win and losses. Overall minimum, I'd say somewhere between 25 and 30k words.

zanza313

Apr 9, 2016
First of all, thanks for all the help I got from various people. Wallpaper and Gardeford especially.
And sorry for not turning on suggestions on the first upload, I'm not sure how I missed that but I did so...Apologies to all that took a look and couldn't comment on the mess.
I updated the link with a cleaner version of the idea that should better reflect what I'm looking to write. It won't make it look any smaller in scope and sheer size, probably even bigger but I'm kinda stuck on the idea so I'm going to do my best at least.

SoAndSo

Scientist
Creator
Mar 26, 2017
The NPC itself will take the form of an artificially created life form that’s essentially a mass of power that obtained a mind of its own as a side-effect of a ritual gone wrong.

This is dangerously close to the companion I'm writing. The only actual difference is you didn't say 'is a sword, then a girl'.

Lore relevant to the creation and nature of the obelisk you’ll find and a conversation battle that takes place in the mindscape of the entity inside the obelisk.

But why? This is so much effort for such little gain already and you want to further over-complicate it?

Provide the player with a once a day boost(*)

I'm fairly sure this isn't going to fly. It takes a long time to travel from tile to tile in CoC2 so when you've found this cave thing where the obelisk thing is and got to where you want to go, the buff's likely run out.

I recommend putting this idea to bed.