Alpha/Beta/Omega Dynamics?

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Both the Nyrea and the Gold Myr have two genders apiece. As Nori said, place in social hierarchy =/= gender.

Jermayn

May 7, 2017
I have almost finished the codex entry but I need someone to beta it. Should I post the link here or in the codex area and hope someone finds it?

Azureink

Feb 12, 2017
This Omegaverse stuff seems like a really interesting window into the strange world of fanfiction.

JDeko

Aug 27, 2015
Kekistan
www.facebook.com
One of my greatest fantasies, not just sexual fantasy, but like "idealized reality" fantasy, would be to be an amazingly powerful warrior that serves in complete subservience to their Queen. Be it a Mage-Knight that can cast AoE spells that can change the topography of a battlefield [like Madara Uchiha and Hashirama Senju's highest level jutsu] and directed attacks that could 1-shot an Elder Dragon, not to mention being able to walk through an enemy division using just my Glaive. Or in a sci-fi universe being someone like Fuhrer Bradley, taking out a tank with small arms and godly reflexes. Being someone like that whose presence moves mountain, but who obediently bows at the feet of their Queen and Owner like a smitten puppy.

In a concept the idea of a "Beta" not meaning what it means to MRAs, but more along the lines of just "having a distinct better" is appealing, but when you start throwing in MPREG and all these societal standards and hierarchies it starts getting "Fall of Equestria" levels creepy to me. Another example would be when all the darker implications of New Texas was brought up in threads, if that had been made blatant canon [aside from Reaha's talking about it, I mean] and decided to be expanded on and emphasized on top of that. Its all just way too hardcore into the idea of castes and classes. I've never been the sort to get turned on by really dark stuff and this A/B/O stuff seems pretty damn disturbing by the looks of it

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
Its all just way too hardcore into the idea of castes and classes. I've never been the sort to get turned on by really dark stuff and this A/B/O stuff seems pretty damn disturbing by the looks of it
It depends on the writer and how flexible they decide to make gender dynamics in their works, I guess.

It can indeed be very disturbing, especially when the omegas are dehumanised by society. I personnally can't stomach fics where "sexism" against omegas is very strong and everywhere, but I do love the fics that subvert the expectations of this "genre" of fanfiction (like, submissive alpha/dominant omega, non "traditional" pairings (b/a, b/o, a/a, o/o), etc...).

There are as many variants as there are writers, so if the fandom/pairing is large enough, chances are you'll always find someone who writes omegaverse fics that you'll like :)

Good idea!

It is only the tip of the iceberg
lol
One word: Tunalock

Omegaverse is only one more or less weird AU; personnally I prefer BDSM AUs (everyone is either a Dominant, a Switch, or a Submissive, and these dynamics are integrated into everyday life (mostly in an non smut way, but definitely in a yes smut way in private))

ShifterDreams

Sep 18, 2015
I'm loving the weyran and was wondering if you where gonna make a omega mpreg perk you could get (maybe though a race tf or a tf just for the perk really want mpreg for my main pc)

Doodlecat

Dec 13, 2016
Argentina
Omegaverse is only one more or less weird AU; personnally I prefer BDSM AUs (everyone is either a Dominant, a Switch, or a Submissive, and these dynamics are integrated into everyday life (mostly in an non smut way, but definitely in a yes smut way in private))

Isn't this "omegaverse" idea (never heard of it) more or less what you say? Alphas/doms, betas/switchs, omegas/subs.
The normal (read the real deal) system is quite different. The main difference is that hierachy (alphas, betas, etc) are innate, while Sub/Dom is a choice.

The common assumption is Alpha=dominat, beta= submissive. This Omegaverse system has it a bit more accurate, with alphas being "leaders", betas being a bit more distant or neutral , and omegas the bottoms. But it's still off. It's actually more like:
-Alpha
-----------Beta
-----------Sider
-Pack
-Omega

Betas and siders aren't really in the hierarchy on "power". And Omegas are actually part of the pack.
In human standards, a beta could be the king's counselor, and siders a buffon or the alchemist. They might not have an official rank, but they hold power in themselves if needed.

Back to topic, this could be interesting, but it would leave the rest of TiTsverse outside, unless devs are willing to add a A/B/O attribute to every character, or at least to Steele, otherwise he won't be able to fully interact with this race...

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
If you're talking about wolves that's not actually a real thing that they do under normal circumstances. All of those writings on their hierarchies were based on captive wolves that weren't related to each other trying to hash out some kind of social dynamic. In the wild the pack is absolutely a family unit so those observed dynamics don't hold up and even the researcher who first put forth these findings later discovered this and recanted most of that old research. That quasi-fictional quality the dynamic has, once or more removed from reality, can even be argued to be a large part of why it's so appealing to those who try and apply it to human hierarchies (though the people who cling to it will of course go on and on about how true it is), that it doesn't feel 'obvious' and so discovering it must have been eye-opening.

As much as people will like to stick to the ~purity~ of their sexual fantasies, some dynamic where there are only fixtures and fantasies that appeals to them and nothing else, it undeniably captures people's imaginations to extend this naturally into other areas, to know how these dynamics inform them.

People didn't keep coming back to darker New Texas material because everyone is just too edgy to leave it alone - even those who say they wanted nothing to do with it or didn't want it polluting the fantasy the planet was based on couldn't help getting drawn in and wondering how it all actually worked. So much of it is tied up in male domination that, despite some carefully worded assurances that it wasn't entirely like that, enough of the content suggested it was that readers wanted to dig into it and find out.

All the omega stuff is just another example of that playing out. People do want to get into an idea like these fetishy sex roles informing not just the sex but the political and social hierarchies. Some may just want to write smut where the softer boy can get pregnant but others will inevitably want to flesh that out and find the ugliness or "reality" (reality that may be real or may just be a skewed observational fiction like the original wolf pack hierarchies these terms came from).

NotYouNorI

Aug 26, 2015
Back to topic, this could be interesting, but it would leave the rest of TiTsverse outside, unless devs are willing to add a A/B/O attribute to every character, or at least to Steele, otherwise he won't be able to fully interact with this race...
Not necessarily. As these dynamics are biologically part of this race. Unless if one TFs into one of them, it would still be limited them. It would be interesting seeing how Weyran sociaties or individuals interact with the diverse galactic community that is the UGC.

That being said, OP @Jermayn, that's not how a species codex entry is written. You should stop making the prelude to your own A/b/o story, because codex entries are supposed to be short in-universe summaries made to familiarize things and species to average citizen of the UGC.

Last edited:

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
Isn't this "omegaverse" idea (never heard of it) more or less what you say? Alphas/doms, betas/switchs, omegas/subs.
Yes... and no. There is usually a distinctive biological/physiological component to being an alpha/beta/omega in omegaverse. And there are fics were the main alpha character is a sub, or the main omega is a dom, or it's all more "vanilla" or predator/prey play than outright dominance

(I agree with @balitz Method on this one -- I don't think hierarchies with strict dominant/dominated roles are innate in humans or wolves)

while Sub/Dom is a choice.
Not in matters of what you get off to (dominating or being dominated, for instance), you don't get to choose. Which is usually what these BDSM verses are usually about (although yeah, it can have repercussions on your social status).

I don't think that PC would necessarily need to be attributed an A/B/O dynamic if such a race were added to the game (plus at this point it would be pretty much pointless bc no scene supports it so far).
I mean, as long as their pheromones are compatible with the PC:
  • you could always say that X NPC's scent sends the PC into a rut/heat/whatever (think Urta's heat/rut scene in CoC; technically she and the PC aren't even the same species, unless the PC got turned into a fox-morph)
  • or vice-versa, and the PC's heat/rut/whatever pheromones send Y NPC into a rut/heat/whatever
  • or consider the PC a beta by default (since betas are the closest to normal humans)
  • Or some other NPC could create a drug that sends the PC into a heat/rut/mating period that imitates an Alpha's/Omega's
  • or the PC could roleplay (in game) as an A/B/O partner
So many sexy possibilities! <3

Last edited:

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
So this whole thing was born from the Supernatural fandom?
The current iteration, probably, but the inspiration is probably older than that
A similar premise was used in Life from the Ashes in X-Files fandom in the 1990s. In that story, a virus biologically changes half of the male population into breeding partners who emit sex pheromones. Social differentiation between the biologically determined groups is not explicit, although by the end of the story, it is implied.

Doodlecat

Dec 13, 2016
Argentina
If you're talking about wolves that's not actually a real thing that they do under normal circumstances. All of those writings on their hierarchies were based on captive wolves that weren't related to each other trying to hash out some kind of social dynamic. In the wild the pack is absolutely a family unit so those observed dynamics don't hold up and even the researcher who first put forth these findings later discovered this and recanted most of that old research. That quasi-fictional quality the dynamic has, once or more removed from reality, can even be argued to be a large part of why it's so appealing to those who try and apply it to human hierarchies (though the people who cling to it will of course go on and on about how true it is), that it doesn't feel 'obvious' and so discovering it must have been eye-opening.

The "hierarchy system" on species is a proven fact, aside of sexual fantasies (not particularly my stuff, honestly). ((of course, read between ""s, since it's not applicable to every living being))
The "absolute family pack" is a not so common trait, one of them are Hyenas (despite their fame) (which don't have Omegas for example), and care for their pups; it is speculated that they have this different "system" because they have a lot of inbreeding and apparently their genetic can deal with it. On the other side you have Wild dogs, which have a similar behaviour (they're very similar physique-wise), but contrary to Hyenas their inbreeding is actually killing them.

"and even the researcher who first put forth these findings later discovered this and recanted most of that old research"
And who would be?
Because there's quite an amount of animal behaviour research and researchers. Two that come to mind are Rudyard Kipling (non fictional work) and Konrad Lorenz (regarded as THE animal psychologist), and I never heard of them ditching their work because a)they're dead, b) their work is still regarded cientifically.
(As a matter of fact too, it is widely known -it only makes sense- that observing captive animals for behaviour is pointless)

Note: I'm not trolling you! I'm genuinely interested in the discussion, and whetever -real and useful- information comes from it.

Following your comment, I do agree that most fictional work is basically the fantasies of X writer kicking in.

Doodlecat

Dec 13, 2016
Argentina
Not necessarily. As these dynamics are biologically part of this race. Unless if one TFs into one of them, it would still be limited them. It would be interesting seeing how Weyran sociaties or individuals interact with the diverse galactic community that is the UGC.

Precisely!
If it's innate, biologically part of this race, it means no other race could fully interact. If you don't have this A/B/O "gene", you won't fit in their society.
TFing is a good idea. Limited in a sense yeah, but will certainly do (let's say Steele gets some mods and gets the "gene". He/she won't be out of place outside, since he's a regular "human" WITH the extra "gene")

Klaptrap

Aug 27, 2015
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_(ethology)

In the past, the prevailing view on gray wolf packs was that they consisted of individuals vying with each other for dominance, with dominant gray wolves being referred to as the "alpha" male and female, and the subordinates as "beta" and "omega" wolves. This terminology was first used in 1947 by Rudolf Schenkel of the University of Basel, who based his findings on researching the behavior of captive gray wolves.[6] This view on gray wolf pack dynamics was later popularized by L. David Mech in his 1970 book The Wolf. He formally disavowed this terminology in 1999, explaining that it was heavily based on the behavior of captive packs consisting of unrelated individuals, an error reflecting the once prevailing view that wild pack formation occurred in winter among independent gray wolves. Later research on wild gray wolves revealed that the pack is usually a family consisting of a breeding pair and its offspring of the previous 1–3 years.[7]

Reactions: ShySquare

Doodlecat

Dec 13, 2016
Argentina
Yes... and no. There is usually a distinctive biological/physiological component to being an alpha/beta/omega in omegaverse. And there are fics were the main alpha character is a sub, or the main omega is a dom, or it's all more "vanilla" or predator/prey play than outright dominance
(I agree with @balitz Method on this one -- I don't think hierarchies with strict dominant/dominated roles are innate in humans or wolves)
Not in matters of what you get off to (dominating or being dominated, for instance), you don't. Which is usually what these BDSM verses are usually about (although yeah, it can have repercussions on your social status).

Hum, I see.
So it's something like "you're born with the Omega gene, you get fucked. You're born with the alpha gene, you fuck them". Basically, you get a social role/position based on your genetic, right?

In "real life" we have genetics on one side, and roles on the other (not strictly sexual). So, for example, your boss might be a meek imbecile (and we know how often happens lol), while an employee might be more dinamic.
On humans, everyday's roles aren't dictated by our genetics, but that's because we have culture and society tied. But these genetics do "kick in" in intimacy: that same meek imbecile of a boss might have the secret fetish of Sub/Dom. If he lacks personality or has a complex, he might compensate by "playing" the Dom. Or utterly submit to be a total Sub, since his role of power in society forces him to be an "alpha" when he's not.

I don't think that PC would necessarily need to be attributed an A/B/O dynamic if such a race were added to the game (plus at this point it would be pretty much pointless bc no scene supports it so far).
I mean, as long as their pheromones are compatible with the PC:
  • you could always say that X NPC's scent sends the PC into a rut/heat/whatever (think Urta's heat/rut scene in CoC; technically she and the PC aren't even the same species, unless the PC got turned into a fox-morph)
  • or vice-versa, and the PC's heat/rut/whatever pheromones send Y NPC into a rut/heat/whatever
  • or consider the PC a beta by default (since betas are the closest to normal humans)
  • Or some other NPC could create a drug that sends the PC into a heat/rut/mating period that imitates an Alpha's/Omega's
  • or the PC could roleplay (in game) as an A/B/O partner
So many sexy possibilities! <3

Hum, actually it could work fine.
So, this race has a genetic disposition for roles. Their societal roles are based on what you're born. So Steele, accustomed to races/societies than can "fake" or "play" this, could simply choose and play along, with maybe a bit of help (pheromones)
Simple and effective, I like it.

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
So it's something like "you're born with the Omega gene, you get fucked. You're born with the alpha gene, you fuck them".
More like "you're and Omega, you periodically go into heat and can get pregnant, you're an Alpha, you have a knotted dick and periodically go into rut", but that's no indication of what an omega or alpha character may like.
I mean, strap-ons exist for a reason.

Basically, you get a social role/position based on your genetic, right?
Yeah, since that's partly what gender is, and alpha, beta and omega are secondary genders.

Jermayn

May 7, 2017
That being said, OP @Jermayn, that's not how a species codex entry is written. You should stop making the prelude to your own A/b/o story, because codex entries are supposed to be short in-universe summaries made to familiarize things and species to average citizen of the UGC.
So I need to cut out the history section entirely?

Last edited:

Jermayn

May 7, 2017
I just left you a bunch of suggestions criticisms and questions in your doc.
Thank you! I found them extremely helpful. I've also reworked the section on alpha social structure to try and make it clearer.

Last edited:

NotYouNorI

Aug 26, 2015
So I need to cut out the history section entirely?
Just summarize it. No need to axe it or detail every movement and action in their history. The relations of the factions with the UGC seem like a more important points of info for UGC citizans

NotYouNorI

Aug 26, 2015
Psh, no surprise, that's totally f***ed up and absolutely wrong lol
Maybe not with the example of the grey wolf, but social animals that form communities which consist of more than a breeding pair and their offspring do exhibit social hierarchies as mentioned in the before-linked article.

Doodlecat

Dec 13, 2016
Argentina
Maybe not with the example of the grey wolf, but social animals that form communities which consist of more than a breeding pair and their offspring do exhibit social hierarchies as mentioned in the before-linked article.

Well, yes.
That's why that linked article is not really useful except for specifically grey wolves.

"Social hierarchy" is a given in pretty much any sentient species (and I'm not getting into plants, which has been proven they do are sort of sentient).
But that article/text focuses on "vying for power" which basically would mean wolves struggling for a role. It might happen og course, since wolves in captivity lack a function.
A pack of wolves on the wild rarely struggle "for power", since they don't really need it. They have a purpose, which is survival.
Worth mentioning, being a/b/o is innate, is a type of personality, not a role.

In animals, their personality is what automatically sets their role: for example, an active alpha innately knows he's a front hunter (for a lack o better words), and betas might be "rangers" while omegas might stand behind and wait for orders, or stay with pups.
In humans, you might be an alpha, but you're a lowly employee. Like it or not, given society, culture and intelligence, you might get a better job and /or escalate positions for a different/better/higher role.
In this Omniverse, if I understand well, if you're born alpha, you're given the dominant role, and if you're Omega, the sub, like it or not. And that's it.