A small TiTS story for a small fangame

RoamingPath

May 9, 2023
Hi.
I’m working on a small story that centers around the F.I.R.S. T-14 space station, the introductory dungeon of TiTS, with branching paths and multiple endings.
I need this story in order to implement it into a fanmade game I’m developing based on TiTS and its universe; once I have the story and lore established I’d like to hire someone more experienced to write the scenes and dialogues.

The story defines a questline that can be played in two modes: solo/duo mode and party mode. Solo mode requires only one character but allows to have a follower that acts as an “extra”, while party mode sees at least three characters that each have an essential role (Captain, Pilot and Technician) and allows up to three “extra” characters.

The questline​

The questline sees the party departing from Tavros station and heading to FIRST-14 after being hired by the company that owns the station to reclaim it from the band of scavengers that are running their operations there.

Once they arrive they discover that the space station main dock is sealed, leaving the secondary landing pad as the only available option.

The crew must make their way to the maintenance level, defeat the Overqueen and unlock the main landing pad, reach the comms room to call the company and then return to their own ship.​

Points of interest​

While the quest is short and simple, I want to spice it up with branching paths and bad alternate endings in order to show off the features of this little Godot project that I’m working on, in order to do this I added the following points of interest:
  • While approaching the station the Technician can pass an intelligence check to find the station’s maintenance level dock, allowing the party to arrive directly in the maintenance level and parking the ship there, skipping the ambush.

• If the party lands on the secondary landing pad they are ambushed by scavs and depending on what skill checks they can pass they can resolve the situation with a variety of outcomes that include surrendering, sneaking by or fighting the ambush squad.

• Once in the maintenance level each corridor tile of the map has a chance of triggering a patrol encounter that has similar outcomes to the point above.

• In the maintenance level the party can find a changing room where they can loot a number of scavs uniform equal to the number of crewmates, that allows them to sneak by a couple of patrols.

• In the maintenance level the party can find the comms room early, and there they encounter a jumper mercenary managing the scavs communications, depending on how they interact with her she can either help the party, remain neutral or warn the overqueen.

• The overqueen is stationed in the maintenance level generator room and depending on the party’s actions she can either be neutral, alert or playful, this determines the dialogue options that the party has and how she fights if combat is initiated.

• Once the overqueen is defeated the party must go to the comms room and can either warn the authorities about the scavs and the jumper mercenary (if they have met her) or decide not to, once the party tries to return to their ship the scavs will react differently based on this.

A "small" note:

The game allows the player to change what character they are playing as, and while controlling them the behavior of other party members is simulated by offering the computer the option to choose between the same choices that the player would have, but enhancing the chances of picking a choice that shares the same personality traits of the character, given to them in the character creation or acquired during gameplay.
This implies that the game can go on even after some characters are in a state of “game over”, as long as the main roles (Captain, pilot and technician) are still fulfilled by someone the quest can be completed. If one of the main characters is put in a game over state and doesn’t recover / isn’t rescued, the game can still be played, but the success of the quest is in most cases impossible, forcing the rest of the characters to incur into a bad good alternate ending.

With all these things being said, I wanted to know what you guys think of this.
I have a game design document that goes in more detail on all the points but I don’t want to post a mega wall of text and get too technical.
What encounters could I add to make things more interesting? Did I get the lore about FIRST-14 right? I’ve been reading the wiki article but I honestly have no idea if the station is owned by Steele tech or some other company, I picked this setting because it is simple and isolated.
Please let me know what you think and cheers in advance.