A Rose By Any Other Name...

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
That's one way of looking at it. Another is that for the most part, folks here have their own ideas and opinions about language but they ALSO respect other peoples' ideas and opinions.

I'm an athiest, but that doesn't mean I want to burn down your church.
You can hardly say that "Transgender people don't exist and are a modern trend and unnatural" isn't regressive thinking.
Opinions can be bad. Or factually wrong. People have the right to hold bad and/or wrong opinions, and others have the right to point out when they express bad/wrong opinions, for the sake of fence-sitting onlookers if no one else.

And there's a pretty big difference between pointing out someone expressed a bad opinion, and wanting to hurt them and their community. One is about preventing harm, the other is wishing it upon others.

Reactions: 8lkj and valkyr42

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
I was just talking about the language aspect. It isn't, IMO, "regressive" thinking on my part to be resistant towards being forced to change the way I speak - especially when it comes to new pronouns - when it's always been the way I spoke.

I was born in 1973. I was raised speaking English a certain way. That's not to say my values and beliefs can't evolve - they most definitely have. BUT, having to guess which pronoun to use with whom at the risk of getting it wrong and being labelled homo/transphobic even when I'm trying is a hot mess I'd rather just stay away from.

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
I was just talking about the language aspect. It isn't, IMO, "regressive" thinking on my part to be resistant towards being forced to change the way I speak
I don't think it is regressive thinking either, but that's not gonna change the fact that times are changing, and language follows. I grew up in the 90s, and people certainly don't speak the same now as they did then.
And, if it makes marginalised people feel more included/safer/respected, I, personally, don't mind changing the way I talk, but ultimately no one will ever be able to force you to use words you don't want to use.

- especially when it comes to new pronouns - when it's always been the way I spoke.
Are you perhaps referring to more people using they/them as personal pronouns these days ? I agree that it takes some getting used to, but you get the hang of it pretty quick. And it's definitely more convenient than saying "he or she", "his or her", etc.
And using they/them as pronouns for a singular antecedent isn't new - there are instances of this in the King James bible and several of Shakespeare's works.

I was born in 1973. I was raised speaking English a certain way. That's not to say my values and beliefs can't evolve - they most definitely have. BUT, having to guess which pronoun to use with whom at the risk of getting it wrong and being labelled homo/transphobic even when I'm trying is a hot mess I'd rather just stay away from.
The vast, vast majority of trans people won't start screeching transphobia if you get it wrong the first time - at most they'll politely correct you. If you ever slip up after that, don't make a big deal out of it, just say "he - sorry, she -" and move on.
Plus, you don't have to guess - you can just ask them in private, if you have the opportunity to, or just follow the lead of the trans person's friends/acquaintances, if they're there.

Reactions: 8lkj and Stupid_Goo

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
I was referring to the new pronouns making the rounds, ze and zir or whatever.

It's also ingrained in my vernacular to call strangers "sir" or "ma'am" as a way of being respectful. That's changed as well, especially when I lived in Washington where there are a higher-than-average number of folks who may identify as a gender other than what's obvious. I did meet some people who politely corrected me, but I met an equal amount of people who flipped out and all but accused me of marginalizing them (and one or two who did exactly that).

It's some murky waters.

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
I was referring to the new pronouns making the rounds, ze and zir or whatever.
Not exactly new either, I started hearing about those in the 2010s, but then I hang out in fairly LGBT-friendly spaces. Again, takes some getting used to, but it's okay to slip up if you just correct yourself and move on.

Sorry you had bad experiences, though. It's not pleasant being misgendered, but that's no excuse to take it out on others either.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
Language changes because the societies that use it changes, that's what it does. Words fall in and out of usage everyday. I fail to see the reasoning behind refusing to stop using a word just because a marginalized group said they find it offensive. Imo, it's actually a pretty good reason to stop using a word. Especially when other, less offensive synonyms exist.
Again, this 'less offensive synonym' has a high likelihood of being declared offensive in the future. As I see it , there are two sources for this.
1. If you ban words, people who want to be insulting will just move to using the new ones just like the old ones.
2. People who, for whatever reason, seem to want to be offended. If there's nothing to be offended over, they will make one.

Reproduction only very indirectly ties into this for population renewal, and so does immigration (another way to add people to your population, and usually more advantageous).
How so? Remember, immigrants aren't related to you. Nor do they share your culture by default. Adopt too many, too quickly, and you've just become a colony through less violent means.
Who is going to take care of you in your old age? Especially if there are no nursing homes or the like. Family is one of the basic building blocks of a society for a reason.

I think you're discounting a lot of the sources of population attrition:
Disease, famine, war (offensive and defensive), accident, predation.
Most people in modern First World countries don't have to worry about most of that, but people in the past very much did.
You do what's necessary to survive first, worry about being offended later.

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
You can hardly say that "Transgender people don't exist and are a modern trend and unnatural" isn't regressive thinking.
Opinions can be bad. Or factually wrong. People have the right to hold bad and/or wrong opinions, and others have the right to point out when they express bad/wrong opinions, for the sake of fence-sitting onlookers if no one else.
I kind of glossed over this post, @ShySquare, because I was hanging out with my brother and didn't have time to unpack it the way it deserves, so here goes...

I don't think anyone here said exactly that, or at least not the part about them not existing. As for them being a "modern trend", well, you can certainly say they're that as far as being out in the open. The LGBT community as a whole and specifically their rights under law (marriages, military service, etc) have been VERY progressive as of late. And that's awesome. But you really can't expect everyone's complete mindset to change just as quickly.

Do I think gay people should have the same rights as everyone else? Abso-fucking-lutely. Am I resistant to having to learn new terms? Abso-fucking-lutely. Take a look at this page from LGBT Hero. They mention 15 new* non-binary genders, and it's not even an all-inclusive list. They also mention pronouns like Ze/hir, Xe/xem, Hy/hym and Co/cos.

Now, if I refer to somebody as "him" or "her" and they say, "Sorry, but I prefer 'ze'", I'll be the first to say, "My bad. Noted". I say "Merry Christmas!" during December but if someone says they're Jewish, I go, "Oh, I'm sorry, Happy Chanukah!" No big deal and we both go about our day.

But the biggest obstacle to all these new terms is that there are no hard and fast rules to them. There's no "If A then X". And then there are people who are genderfluid. Are you fucking kidding me? You do you and far be it from me to tell you you're wrong for being you, but which you ARE you today?

I mean relatively new, of course; certainly new to me.

EDIT: Upon reading, my last few sentences may come across as argumentative, but I meant them as anything but. I'm only trying to share where I'm coming from and elicit an honest discussion.

Last edited:

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
Again, this 'less offensive synonym' has a high likelihood of being declared offensive in the future. As I see it , there are two sources for this.
1. If you ban words, people who want to be insulting will just move to using the new ones just like the old ones.
2. People who, for whatever reason, seem to want to be offended. If there's nothing to be offended over, they will make one.
"I don't want to stop using this word that's currently offensive to some people because the replacement might be offensive as well in the future, and then I'll have to learn a new replacement." Sounds pretty lazy.
Words are being replaced and change meaning all the time, that's how language works. I doubt you're this passionate about the fact that "radical" isn't used to mean "awesome" anymore.

And I don't want to be mean, but I've seen your arguments used by people who just clearly want to say slurs. Ultimately, choosing not to offensive words is being courteous. You can use slurs. No one can or will stop you. Most people who hear you say them, however, will judge you accordingly, and may tell you so.

How so? Remember, immigrants aren't related to you. Nor do they share your culture by default.
That's assuming everyone in the same population of humans shares the exact same culture (which is unplausible).
Resources don't care about genes ; immigrants are a net addition to the workforce that extracts/produces resources. Adult immigrants have the added bonus that they spent the most unproductive part of their life (childhood and teenagehood) in another country, meaning they actually took less resources overall than born and raised members of the target population.

Adopt too many, too quickly, and you've just become a colony through less violent means.
Please don't make it sound like immigrants are being sent anywhere - they're civilians, they come of their own volition bc they want a better life.
I won't entertain this line of thought any further, bc it stinks of the "great replacement" far-right conspiracy theory.

Who is going to take care of you in your old age? Especially if there are no nursing homes or the like.
My spouse, and if they die before me, likely an immigrated nurse paid by the government to help me in my day to day life, up until I actually need to go to a nursing home, which, I sure hope I die way before then.

I think you're discounting a lot of the sources of population attrition:
Disease, famine, war (offensive and defensive), accident, predation.
Most people in modern First World countries don't have to worry about most of that, but people in the past very much did.
You do what's necessary to survive first, worry about being offended later.
According to the WHO :
In 2019, the top 10 causes of death accounted for 55% of the 55.4 million deaths worldwide.
The top global causes of death, in order of total number of lives lost, are associated with three broad topics: cardiovascular (ischaemic heart disease, stroke), respiratory (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, lower respiratory infections) and neonatal conditions – which include birth asphyxia and birth trauma, neonatal sepsis and infections, and preterm birth complications.
We don't live in the past. We live in a world where the quantity of resources available isn't a limiting factor; their unequal distribution is.
Modern problems require modern solutions.

And the thing is, marginalized people asking that certain offensive words not be used often IS about survival. Because these words, and the concepts they represent, have been used to harm us in very material ways.
For example: the portrayal of trans people as psycho killers and sexual predators isn't just offensive and wrong, it has been and is still being used to deny them rights and access to life-saving healthcare.

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
I don't think anyone here said exactly that, or at least not the part about them not existing. As for them being a "modern trend", well, you can certainly say they're that as far as being out in the open. The LGBT community as a whole and specifically their rights under law (marriages, military service, etc) have been VERY progressive as of late. And that's awesome. But you really can't expect everyone's complete mindset to change just as quickly.
We actually have more than a few record of people we'd likely consider LGBT people existing in ancient times (like the ancient Egyptian gay lovers, or the many people buried in clothes and attributes usually associated with the opposite sex).
Honestly, I'm pretty happy with how things are going lately as well, but we're still very, very far from perfect equality.

Do I think gay people should have the same rights as everyone else? Abso-fucking-lutely. Am I resistant to having to learn new terms? Abso-fucking-lutely. Take a look at this page from LGBT Hero. They mention 15 new* non-binary genders, and it's not even an all-inclusive list. They also mention pronouns like Ze/hir, Xe/xem, Hy/hym and Co/cos.
Yeah, it can be a bit overwhelming at first. My personal rule of thumb is, I try to know about genders and pronouns trends overall, but only look in-depth if I know or follow someone who identifies with that gender/uses those pronouns.
And I try not to be skeptical of the most colorful stuff, since it doesn't cost me anything, and makes others happy.

Now, if I refer to somebody as "him" or "her" and they say, "Sorry, but I prefer 'ze'", I'll be the first to say, "My bad. Noted". I say "Merry Christmas!" during December but if someone says they're Jewish, I go, "Oh, I'm sorry, Happy Chanukah!" No big deal and we both go about our day.
But the biggest obstacle to all these new terms is that there are no hard and fast rules to them. There's no "If A then X". And then there are people who are genderfluid. Are you fucking kidding me? You do you and far be it from me to tell you you're wrong for being you, but which you ARE you today?
The best rule I have is
Do you regularly interact with genderfluid people btw ? IRL or online ? Because if not, you probably don't have to worry about it ? And if you ever do, it'll probably depend on the person anyway, so you'll have to ask them what they prefer.

Sorry if it seems like I keep repeating "Ask when in doubt and be open-minded", but that's really the best advice I can give when it comes to this. LGBT people aren't a hive-mind, so yeah, there isn't any hard and fast rule. Most LGBT people are aware of this however, and will appreciate you just trying.

EDIT: Upon reading, my last few sentences may come across as argumentative, but I meant them as anything but. I'm only trying to share where I'm coming from and elicit an honest discussion.
Don't worry, that's how I see this discussion as well.
It's a good reminder that not everyone stays up to date with the LGBT+ community, and it's nice to see even one "outsider" willing to have an honest discussion about this.

Reactions: 8lkj and Paradox01

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
It's a good reminder that not everyone stays up to date with the LGBT+ community, and it's nice to see even one "outsider" willing to have an honest discussion about this.
It's too bad everyone else doesn't think so. My biggest issues with gay/straight, male/female, white/black arguments is that 1) not everything is binary (ironic, huh?) but the arguments are boiled down to exactly two sides, and B) you don't raise someone up by lowering another.

1) I may not agree with you, but I support your right to think the way you do. Just because I'm not 100% on your side doesn't inherently mean I'm against you. And the VAST MAJORITY OF PEOPLE THINK THE SAME WAY. Unfortunately, It's the vocal minority everyone pays attention to, no matter WHAT your argument is. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Which leads me to...

B) Many straight white males feel under attack these days, and anyone that immediately dismisses these feelings are often the exact same ones crying, "You need to pay attention to MY feelings, I will not be marginalized!" It's an unfortunate fact that the loudest voices for equality are arguing for anything BUT that. Equality is not achieved, for instance, by forcing companies to hire an exact amount of female pilots as they have male pilots. You win by changing people's minds, not business practices. All that does is create resentment and push-back.

I'll leave you with this.

Graph.png

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
1) I may not agree with you, but I support your right to think the way you do. Just because I'm not 100% on your side doesn't inherently mean I'm against you. And the VAST MAJORITY OF PEOPLE THINK THE SAME WAY. Unfortunately, It's the vocal minority everyone pays attention to, no matter WHAT your argument is. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Which leads me to...
Yeah, whenever a controversial issue is discussed, there are vocal minorities on every side of an argument, and they're seldom the best representative of their respective sides lol

B) Many straight white males feel under attack these days, and anyone that immediately dismisses these feelings are often the exact same ones crying, "You need to pay attention to MY feelings, I will not be marginalized!" It's an unfortunate fact that the loudest voices for equality are arguing for anything BUT that.
I think cis straight white males feeling under attacks tend to be dismissed bc, well... Minorities have been under attack for a very long time.

There's a saying that when you're somewhat privileged (ie cis, straight, white, male, rich, neurotypical, able-bodied, etc), equality can feel like oppression, because it's taking things away from you to give them to other people. And yeah, it objectively sucks to realize that things you thought were given to you because you won them fair and square were actually given to you because of biased rules.
That's not to say cis straight white males don't have problems, it's just that usually these problems aren't caused, or worsened, by who or what they are, and they often (from what I've seen) aren't aware of that.

Equality is not achieved, for instance, by forcing companies to hire an exact amount of female pilots as they have male pilots. You win by changing people's minds, not business practices. All that does is create resentment and push-back.
Quotas aren't an ideal solution, obviously, but I do think the reasoning behind this is somewhat sound : theoretically, there's as many good male pilots as there are female ones. So if you force companies to hire as many of both, then you should rectify an injustice.

The problem with only changing people's minds, imo, is that people's minds actually are influenced by business practices, but the reverse isn't necessarily true, because business decisions are based on what makes money, or rather, what high ranking executives think makes money (which usually reflects opinions and politics from 10 to 20 years ago).

Plus, all any marginalized community has to do to create resentment and pushback is exist and say so, so business as usual, then.

I'll leave you with this.

Graph.png
This graph represents almost perfectly what the average person thinks LGBT+ and feminists want when it comes to politics lol

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
There's a saying that when you're somewhat privileged (ie cis, straight, white, male, rich, neurotypical, able-bodied, etc), equality can feel like oppression, because it's taking things away from you to give them to other people.
That's not equality! If I have six apples and you have four, taking one away from me and giving it to you is NOT equality. Nor is the orchard owner being forced to give you more just because you have less.

So if you force companies to hire as many of both, then you should rectify an injustice.
Patently false. First of all, if you hire someone over another for any reason other than their qualifications, that's discrimination. PERIOD. Second, fewer females apply for jobs like airline pilot, so now you're pulling from a much smaller hiring pool. The same amount of job slots need to be filled, so you're guaranteed to get lower quality applicants hired.

I dunno about you, but I want my pilots to be the best qualified. I don't give a shit if they're black, gay, female or like having their sexual partner dress up as the Phillie Phanatic, I want the best pilot at the stick.

Tinman

Aug 30, 2015
I think cis straight white males feeling under attacks tend to be dismissed bc, well... Minorities have been under attack for a very long time.

There's a saying that when you're somewhat privileged (ie cis, straight, white, male, rich, neurotypical, able-bodied, etc), equality can feel like oppression, because it's taking things away from you to give them to other people. And yeah, it objectively sucks to realize that things you thought were given to you because you won them fair and square were actually given to you because of biased rules.
That's not to say cis straight white males don't have problems, it's just that usually these problems aren't caused, or worsened, by who or what they are, and they often (from what I've seen) aren't aware of that.

You don't make things equal by taking away from people. You make things equal by providing the opportunity for everyone to make their own success. Everybody wants a piece of the pie, but the world is a kitchen so make your own damn pie. Furthermore, cis straight white men feel under attack because they are. The "vocal minority" that you admit are bad representatives of your ideas includes news anchors, politicians, tech billionaires, and basically every major celebrity. These people openly admit that they consider being a man enough to make someone sexist and being white enough to make someone racist. "Heteronormativity" is a term used to villainize straight people for being the majority of the population. "Yes all men", "kill all men", "kill all cis", and numerous similar phrases have been allowed to trend on various social media sites. A racial slur trended on Twitter for 11 hours because your vocal minority didn't like Senator Tim Scott saying that the US is not racist. There is a very hostile movement against straight white cis men pushed by people whose careers provide them with the loudest megaphones. A movement that demands all women and minorities submit or, in the words of President Joe Biden, "you ain't black". All while the "silent majority" continues to vote for or patronize these people without any pushback.

iu

Your vocal minority

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
equality can feel like oppression, because it's taking things away from you to give them to other people.
So obviously this is where me not being a native English bites me in the ass lol

By things, I did not necessarily mean material things, but stuff like opportunities, representation, etc.
Because necessarily, if marginalized communities get more of these, then in raw numbers, allocishet white men will get fewer.
What they usually fail to compute is that they already have so, so many more than other groups already. Like, for example, can you count how many mainstream movies star a straight cis white man ? Of course you can't, because of the sheer quantity of them.

That's not equality! If I have six apples and you have four, taking one away from me and giving it to you is NOT equality. Nor is the orchard owner being forced to give you more just because you have less.
See above.

Patently false. First of all, if you hire someone over another for any reason other than their qualifications, that's discrimination. PERIOD. Second, fewer females apply for jobs like airline pilot, so now you're pulling from a much smaller hiring pool. The same amount of job slots need to be filled, so you're guaranteed to get lower quality applicants hired.
Do you think that quotas incentivize companies to hire unqualified people ? Of course they don't, especially not for pilot jobs. Companies will still hire the most qualified people possible. Only they'll be incentivised to hire the most qualified men AND women.

And why is the hiring pool smaller in the first place ?
Could it be that it's somehow very difficult to make a living as a female pilot, for some reason ? Like, prejudice ?
Could it be that studying for a job dominated by one gender is incredibly stressful and many women drop out of pilot school because of harassment/bullying/overall sexism ?
(which would make the ones who do pull through pilot school more talented, hard-working and persistent than most of their male counterparts who didn't face the same obstacles)
Could it be that because of the popular perception that "piloting is a man's job", many young women feel discouraged from pursuing a piloting career in the first place ?

Again, I'm not saying quotas are ideal by any means, but imo they're a wild sight better than no one even hiring female pilots because they're unjustly seen as inherently less qualified just because they happen to be women.

Reactions: 8lkj

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
You don't make things equal by taking away from people. You make things equal by providing the opportunity for everyone to make their own success.
Yes, this I agree with.

Everybody wants a piece of the pie, but the world is a kitchen so make your own damn pie.
And you've lost me.
You do know that even in your analogy, some people need help to make a pie because they don't have arms, or legs, or lack sufficient fine motor control ?
And how well furnished and accessible would the kitchen be in your analogy ? Who would be responsible for maintaining it ? Buying the ingredients, the appliances, pay for electricity and running water ?

Pedantism aside, wouldn't the best way for everyone to be given equal opportunities, be to actually change the rules that make it so they don't ?
Like, if the game isn't fair to all players, you either change the rules, or you change the game.

Furthermore, cis straight white men feel under attack because they are.
No more than any marginalized community. Usually less, actually.
But again, equality can feel like oppression when you're a part of a privileged group.

The "vocal minority" that you admit are bad representatives of your ideas includes news anchors, politicians, tech billionaires, and basically every major celebrity.
That's absolutely not the vocal minority I am referring too. These people you're referring to are obviously the mainstream. You can hardly find more mainstream voices.

These people openly admit that they consider being a man enough to make someone sexist and being white enough to make someone racist. "Heteronormativity" is a term used to villainize straight people for being the majority of the population.
This is true, but I think you disagree because you don't understand the meaning of the words "sexist", "racist" as used in a political context.
Simply put: we live in a society that is built to benefit men and white people the most.
(not saying there aren't men or white people that aren't disadvantaged in other ways, this is for the sake of the example you gave).

Sexism and racism are the means this society uses to give men and white people (unfair) advantages over other groups. This society is sexist and racist.
That doesn't mean all men think they are superior to women or all white people to people of color. What it does mean is that being a man in a sexist society makes you sexist because whether you want it or not you do benefit from the unfair advantages this sexist society gives you for being a man.
Same shit with being white making you inherently racist - white people inherently benefit from society's racism, they are therefore racist, whether they intend to or not, regardless of the "goodness" or "badness" of the individual.

Heteronormativity is the belief that heterosexuality is the default, preferred, or normal mode of sexual orientation.
I fail to see how that's villainizing straight people, at worst it's pointing out that our society tends to view heterosexuality as the default sexual orientation (which it obviously does)

"Yes all men", "kill all men", "kill all cis", and numerous similar phrases have been allowed to trend on various social media sites.
Now that's the vocal minority I was talking about.
Also, these should be taken about as seriously as "Eat the rich", which is to say, not at all. These are memes, dude, and they're usually treated as such.

A racial slur trended on Twitter for 11 hours because your vocal minority didn't like Senator Tim Scott saying that the US is not racist.
Source ?

There is a very hostile movement against straight white cis men pushed by people whose careers provide them with the loudest megaphones.
That's a very straight white cis men-centric way of doing things.

Another way of viewing things is that marginalized communities can now spread their ideas, message and revendications wider than ever before, through the internet and social media. So they make themselves heard. And their sheer numbers make politicians and others take notice.

A movement that demands all women and minorities submit or, in the words of President Joe Biden, "you ain't black". All while the "silent majority" continues to vote for or patronize these people without any pushback.
I don't have a clue what you're talking about here, care to elaborate ?
And I assure you, there's more than enough pushback against marginalized communities whenever they make themselves heard.

Undecided

Feb 16, 2021
Do you think that quotas incentivize companies to hire unqualified people ? Of course they don't, especially not for pilot jobs. Companies will still hire the most qualified people possible. Only they'll be incentivised to hire the most qualified men AND women.
They don't always function as you've stated.
Source: third world countries.

Could it be that it's somehow very difficult to make a living as a female pilot, for some reason ? Like, prejudice ?
Could it be that studying for a job dominated by one gender is incredibly stressful and many women drop out of pilot school because of harassment/bullying/overall sexism ?
(which would make the ones who do pull through pilot school more talented, hard-working and persistent than most of their male counterparts who didn't face the same obstacles)
Could it be that because of the popular perception that "piloting is a man's job", many young women feel discouraged from pursuing a piloting career in the first place ?

Conjecture.
Also, it's pretty reductive (and doesn't really help your point) to raise a group up by putting another group down ("more talented", "hard-working and persistent").
Additionally, using "piloting is a man's job" as a reason as for why women would be discouraged is just grasping at straws in all honesty - it just screams of "first world problems" and not a dose of reality, of what is the reality in third world countries - especially in the middle east (where women don't get this luxurious choice of "being discouraged" - and even if they get a STEM qualification there's no guarantee of them working as such).

Last edited:

Tinman

Aug 30, 2015
And you've lost me.
I was paraphrasing a quote.
Pedantism aside, wouldn't the best way for everyone to be given equal opportunities, be to actually change the rules that make it so they don't ?
Like, if the game isn't fair to all players, you either change the rules, or you change the game.
Is this part of the English barrier? It looks like you just said that the best way to give equal opportunities is to change the rules so that people don't have equal opportunities? Aside from the Orwellian double think necessary to come up with that solution, this is already the case. Marginalized groups have been receiving special treatment to make up for past injustices since my parents were children, and it's been causing problems since before I was born. I'm middle aged now, clearly this system isn't fixing the problem.
No more than any marginalized community. Usually less, actually.
But again, equality can feel like oppression when you're a part of a privileged group.
This just seems like a common way of dismissing people's problems as not being significant enough. "Oh, you're suffering? Well so are starving children in Africa so stop complaining about it." You've been presented with many ways cis white men are suffering and there's many more that haven't been brought up. This isn't equality it's vengeance.
That's absolutely not the vocal minority I am referring too. These people you're referring to are obviously the mainstream. You can hardly find more mainstream voices.
I genuinely wasn't expecting you to acknowledge that people with such extreme views were the mainstream of your movement. A surprise to be sure, but a bit like taking your own piece off the chessboard in that you've only weakened your position. The kind of insane garbage that comes from these people should not be accepted as mainstream. It should be dismissed as nuts with more time and money than good sense trying to look virtuous without understanding the subject.
This is true, but I think you disagree because you don't understand the meaning of the words "sexist", "racist" as used in a political context.
Simply put: we live in a society that is built to benefit men and white people the most.
The definition of racist and sexist have been clear and well understood for many decades. The definition you, and those you agree with, are trying to push is a false definition designed to avoid recognizing that supposedly privileged groups are often not as well off as they're made to seem. There's a reason men make up the vast majority of suicides, and it's definitely not because society was built by sexists for the express purpose of elevating men above women.
Now that's the vocal minority I was talking about.
Also, these should be taken about as seriously as "Eat the rich", which is to say, not at all. These are memes, dude, and they're usually treated as such.
I wonder how many people thought "Eat the rich" was a joke before the Bolshevik rebellion when the wealthy were murdered and their property stolen. I wonder how many still thought it was still funny when starvation was so rampant that the soviet government had to put up ads reminding people not to resort to cannibalism. It's ironic that someone whose mainstream political allies believe memes can turn people into Nazis by normalizing them is now arguing that "memes" calling for genocide shouldn't be taken seriously.
That's a very straight white cis men-centric way of doing things.

Another way of viewing things is that marginalized communities can now spread their ideas, message and revendications wider than ever before, through the internet and social media. So they make themselves heard. And their sheer numbers make politicians and others take notice.
Are you saying that the mainstream views of your political ideology are white cis men-centric because of how they're being pushed? Or are you saying that racial slurs and death threats and the incredibly racist attitude of judging all white people solely for their skin color is being spread by minorities and being echoed by the wealthy cis white men with immense power to influence public discourse?
I don't have a clue what you're talking about here, care to elaborate ?
And I assure you, there's more than enough pushback against marginalized communities whenever they make themselves heard.
During his 2020 presidential campaign then candidate Joe Biden was asked about minorities who weren't sure if they should vote for him. His response was, "If you don't know whether to vote for me or not, then you ain't black."

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA

By things, I did not necessarily mean material things, but stuff like opportunities, representation, etc.

I wasn't talking about actual, physical apples, obviously. C'mon, man, they're metaphors.

Um, no, because women on the whole are more naturally attracted to other professions. Take a look at other professions like Police, Firefighters, and construction. Sure, more women are entering those jobs than in the past, but it's not a huge explosion. The number of applicants for those types of jobs are not commensurate with the number in white collar jobs. Females are also more reluctant to apply for promotions. You know why that is?

More women are focused on families than careers.

Do you think that quotas incentivize companies to hire unqualified people ? Of course they don't, especially not for pilot jobs. Companies will still hire the most qualified people possible.
I NEVER SAID THAT. Nothing even close. What I said was, fewer women apply for jobs like airline pilot. Let me break it down for you:

I own my airline. I have positions for 100 pilots. The government says I have to have an equal amount of male and female pilots which limits me to 50 of each. I have 400 male applicants and only 100 female applicants . I only want the top 20% of all applicants to fly for me.

That means I have 80 males and 20 females, but the government says I need an equal amount of each. That means I have to tell 30 top male pilots to hit the bricks while hiring 30 females that qualified below my top 20% threshold.

THIS is what quotas get us.

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
They don't always function as you've stated.
Source: third world countries.
Yeah, that's not an actual source, buddy.
Conjecture.
Conjecture right back at you.
Also, it's pretty reductive (and doesn't really help your point) to raise a group up by putting another group down ("more talented", "hard-working and persistent")
I'm not raising one group by putting another down, I'm pointing out that due to societal sexism, there's a selective pressure that women face that men don't. Which means that women who do make it out of pilot school in our example are "more talented", "hard-working and persistent" than their male peers.
Additionally, using "piloting is a man's job" as a reason as for why women would be discouraged is just grasping at straws in all honesty - it just screams of "first world problems" and not a dose of reality, of what is the reality in third world countries - especially in the middle east (where women don't get this luxurious choice of "being discouraged" - and even if they get a STEM qualification there's no guarantee of them working as such).
You're misunderstanding my words. I was explaining why internalized prejudice makes it so less women try pursuing male-dominated careers in the 1st place.

And yeah, the second part of your argument is as I pointed out above - it is materially more difficult to make a living as a women in a male-dominated field (as in, a field where men constitute the majority of the workforce, in case there's any confusion), which deters young women from pursuing a career in this kind of field. It may be more prevalent/worse in some places than in others, but the root cause (and outcome) is the same : less women in these kinds of jobs.

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
I was explaining why internalized prejudice makes it so less women try pursuing male-dominated careers in the 1st place.
That may have been so 20 years ago, but the end result holds true today for different reasons. Women pursue jobs that have been historically male-dominated at a greater rate today than 20 years ago, but not by much. The fact remains that the vast majority of women in the US don't pursue male-dominated careers AS A MATTER OF CHOICE. These women would rather sacrifice work time and money to stay at home and be the primary caregiver for their children. It's a biological and scientific fact, Women need time off from work to carry, birth, and care for their young. In the US, 70% of women report taking time off following pregnancy with an average of 10 weeks off for maternity leave. You think that doesn't factor into how much the average woman earns versus the average male?

It is a cold, hard fact that the so-called "gender wage gap" is a fallacy on EVERY level.

Last edited:

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
And yeah, the second part of your argument is as I pointed out above - it is materially more difficult to make a living as a women in a male-dominated field (as in, a field where men constitute the majority of the workforce, in case there's any confusion), which deters young women from pursuing a career in this kind of field. It may be more prevalent/worse in some places than in others, but the root cause (and outcome) is the same : less women in these kinds of jobs.
Again, absolute BULLSHIT. It is just as easy to make a living BECAUSE IT'S AGAINST THE LAW TO PAY SOMEONE LESS BASED ON THEIR SEX, GENDER, RACE, ETHNICITY, RELIGION OR DISABILITY.

SO many more factors come into play when we're talking about opportunities in the workforce, but the common misconception and popular argument these days is "You're a white male, you're the problem AND the barrier!" Yeah? Well FUCK YOU. I didn't create these problems, I never owned a slave, and I never rallied against womens' rights.

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
Is this part of the English barrier? It looks like you just said that the best way to give equal opportunities is to change the rules so that people don't have equal opportunities?
Sorry, I wasn't aware this sentence was so difficult to read.

"wouldn't the best way for everyone to be given equal opportunities, be to actually change the rules that make it so they don't ?"
This is a rhetorical question. What is meant here is, "I think the best way for everyone to be given equal opportunities would be to change the rules that make it so they don't."
Let me explain this even further : "There are rules that make it so that not everyone has the same opportunities. If we want everyone to have equal opportunities, we should change these rules."

Aside from the Orwellian double think necessary to come up with that solution, this is already the case. Marginalized groups have been receiving special treatment to make up for past injustices since my parents were children, and it's been causing problems since before I was born. I'm middle aged now, clearly this system isn't fixing the problem.
If by special treatment, you mean systemic oppression that is only held back by a handful of laws that are about as effective as putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound, then yeah.
Also, length of time has nothing to do with this. As long as the systemic oppression exists, there will be people protesting it and trying to eliminate it.

This just seems like a common way of dismissing people's problems as not being significant enough. "Oh, you're suffering? Well so are starving children in Africa so stop complaining about it." You've been presented with many ways cis white men are suffering and there's many more that haven't been brought up. This isn't equality it's vengeance.
And "It's hard to be a cis straight white man too !" is often used to counter marginalized people's grievances with the system, or to justify the speaker's bigotry and/or ignorance.

I openly acknowledge that it's hard being a cis straight white man right now. Things are changing, and sometimes it feels like everyone is dumping on you for just being you.
The fact that other people have it harder doesn't mean your feelings aren't real, or valid. That's a fact.

BUT. Just because things suck for you, doesn't mean you get to act like everyone else doesn't have it harder. Nor does it justify opposing people who are fighting for equality, just because you think that it'll take things away from you (It won't, to be clear. Just because the rules of the game change doesn't mean you'll automatically lose. You'll have the same opportunities as everyone else, that's the whole point).

I genuinely wasn't expecting you to acknowledge that people with such extreme views were the mainstream of your movement.
No, I meant the societal mainstream, not the mainstream of any one movement.
If anything, these people you're talking about are moderate, they're just stating facts. And the fact that you think they're radical is pretty telling.

The definition of racist and sexist have been clear and well understood for many decades. The definition you, and those you agree with, are trying to push is a false definition designed to avoid recognizing that supposedly privileged groups are often not as well off as they're made to seem.
Words can have different definitions in different contexts. In a kitchen, a strawberry is a fruit. In a lab, it isn't.

There's a reason men make up the vast majority of suicides, and it's definitely not because society was built by sexists for the express purpose of elevating men above women.
Yes, it is. The reason men make up the vast majority of suicides is because of the way they're expected to bottle up their feelings and see socializing and friendship as competitions. In short, the reason is the unreasonable expections put upon men by a sexist society's toxic masculinity.
Which feminists fight against.

I wonder how many people thought "Eat the rich" was a joke before the Bolshevik rebellion when the wealthy were murdered and their property stolen. I wonder how many still thought it was still funny when starvation was so rampant that the soviet government had to put up ads reminding people not to resort to cannibalism. It's ironic that someone whose mainstream political allies believe memes can turn people into Nazis by normalizing them is now arguing that "memes" calling for genocide shouldn't be taken seriously.
There should be an equivalent to the Godwin point whenever someone brings up the USSR to defend capitalism on the internet.
"See ??? Capitalism is not as bad as this horrific system !!!!" is not as strong a point as you seem to think.

And memes don't turn people into Nazis, Nazis appropriate some memes to recognize each other and try to mainstream their disgusting ideology.

Twitter Blocks 'Uncle Tim' From Trends Section After Senator Tim Scott's Speech
So you're saying he got called a bootlicker for saying something blatanly untrue and bootlicking ? And it lasted less than a day ?

Are you saying that the mainstream views of your political ideology are white cis men-centric because of how they're being pushed? Or are you saying that racial slurs and death threats and the incredibly racist attitude of judging all white people solely for their skin color is being spread by minorities and being echoed by the wealthy cis white men with immense power to influence public discourse?
I'm saying too many cis straight white men will make anything about their feelings and dismiss other's.
Like yeah, it sucks to be called Mayonnaise Boy, but have you seen an innocent white man be shot by the police in the streets, his murder be filmed by passersbys, and the police officers involved go unpunished ?
I'm not even referring to a specific instance, that's the sad part.

Dude, what "wealthy cis white men with immense power to influence public discourse"? Jeff Bezos ? Elon Musk ? Trump ? lol

During his 2020 presidential campaign then candidate Joe Biden was asked about minorities who weren't sure if they should vote for him. His response was, "If you don't know whether to vote for me or not, then you ain't black."
So you've failed to understand the concept of an hyperbole.

And given that the choice at the time was between a proud racist who said in public that he thinks Mexicans are coming to rape women and was besides horrifically bigoted, and average Democrat Joe Biden, yeah, you reaaaaaaally have to be white as snow to wonder who the vast majority of minorities are going to vote for. (this is also hyperbole, btw)

Undecided

Feb 16, 2021
Yeah, that's not an actual source, buddy.
"Yeah, that's not an actual source either, buddy."
It's pretty funny that you actually took that bait; I was alluding to the fact that I know this from first hand experiences because of where I live... but okay lmao.
I'll chuck a lot of sources at you right now, don't worry; not that I really see you sourcing your claims...

Here's the overarching topics on Wikipedia; I'll link to actual articles too, don't worry.
Also, I'll just paste the paragraph for each just in case you're too lazy to go to Wikipedia; as you seemed to with my prior sources (which I'll mention later)...

BEE:
  • Companies are scored based on the quota of black ownership, senior managers, training, as well as suppliers. These scores then translate into their ability to compete for government tenders.
  • BEE also has its own Wikipedia article here.
  • Articles criticizing it:
    -here and here.​
  • Articles citing corruption via it:
    -here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here.​

Affirmative action:
  • The SAPS (South African Police Service) operates a quota system policy for hiring and promotion. Positions will be left unfilled if the appropriate demographic candidate cannot be recruited, even if another qualified person is available.
  • Affirmative action has its own Wikipedia article here.
  • Negative outcomes of it:
    -here.​

University requirements:
  • First year students are registered on a racial quota basis. In some cases there are different admission requirements for different demographics. For example: to study medicine at the University of Cape Town (UCT), white and Indian students require at least a 78% average on their National Senior Certificate, whereas black students only requires 59%. This is largely as a result of the quota system requiring privelaged access for certain ethnic groups - In 2016 the University of Kwazulu Natal quota for medical students is 69% black African, 19% Indian, 9% coloured, 2% white and 1% other.
  • Articles citing it:
    -here and here.​

Quota system:
  • Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula has imposed quota systems in athletics, cricket, football, netball and rugby
  • Articles citing it:
    -here, here, here, and here.​

Conjecture right back at you.

ShySquare said:

conjecture
/kənˈdʒɛktʃə/
noun
an opinion or conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information.​
verb
form an opinion or supposition about (something) on the basis of incomplete information.​

:iiam:

I'm not raising one group by putting another down, I'm pointing out that due to societal sexism, there's a selective pressure that women face that men don't. Which means that women who do make it out of pilot school in our example are "more talented", "hard-working and persistent" than their male peers.
That's conjecture (basically more of an assumption, really) as well. You don't have proof for those claims.
My real world experience tells me otherwise (something you can't dispute) - and no; I'm not putting women down either. I think that they can be just as qualified and driven in any field as men - but using the narrative that they're automatically "more talented", "hard-working and persistent" than their male peers because of some perceived (only by some...) "injustices" doesn't make sense.

More on that topic - would women in the middle east think that these "injustices" that "deter" women from getting jobs in "male dominated" fields exist in first world countries? Nope; because they live through the real oppression; and they still manage to kick ass and get qualified. It's just that their society doesn't really allow for them to get jobs in those fields - which is not the argument than can be used across the board for first world countries (where the real enemy for women seems to be the narrative of "self oppression" by putting themselves down for wanting to be in a "male dominated" field).

You're misunderstanding my words. I was explaining why internalized prejudice makes it so less women try pursuing male-dominated careers in the 1st place.
I'm not misunderstanding you. I'm saying that that argument doesn't hold up in the case study of women in the middle east.
Why is it that women in the middle east, which face the most oppression (or at least definitively more than women in first world countries...) are getting qualified in STEM fields (which are mostly "male dominated" fields), whilst women in first world countries aren't? I'd think you'd have a better idea if you read the first link of my previous post, but don't worry, I've linked it again below.
Hence why I said it seems like "grasping at straws" - because women in the middle east don't have the luxury of saying they feel "deterred" as a reason for not pursuing qualifications / jobs in those fields.

If you want to make the argument that women in first word countries are actually more disadvantaged by their "internalized prejudice(s)" than literally oppressed women in third world countries, and more specifically the middle east - then I won't continue this further; as I feel I'll have more luck communicating with a brick wall.

The root cause is not the same. Women in the middle east are literally oppressed and they're getting qualified in "male dominated" fields. Women in first world countries aren't choosing these fields because they have a choice; women in the middle east don't have that choice if they want at least a modicum of independence - they need to be in those "male dominated" fields (as those aren't "male dominated" fields in the middle east - and would actually allow them to support themselves - if they were able to get a job, which may prove difficult).
It seems you didn't read the previous article I linked you... here, I'll link it again...

To conclude; maybe don't generalize. It's not a one all fits all use case. Also; "There are always others that are more disadvantaged than you".
I.e. maybe, potentially, hypothetically, theoretically... it would be better for one to put one's head down and focusing on oneself instead of continuously comparing oneself to others - which would potentially allow for one to work on oneself and bettering oneself - leading to potential boons to confidence, getting qualified and obtaining jobs in any field - instead of being stuck in ones own mindset.

Last edited:

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
I wasn't talking about actual, physical apples, obviously. C'mon, man, they're metaphors.
Then I didn't get that it was a metaphor, sorry.

I'm not sure I entirely get it either. Who's supposed to be the orchard owner in this scenario ? The government ? Does he give big companies more apples but lets them pay less, or even gives them for free ? How much did we each pay for these apples ? If we both paid the same price and got different numbers of apples, then the orchard owner is clearly being unfair, especially if we're strangers to them.

Um, no, because women on the whole are more naturally attracted to other professions. Take a look at other professions like Police, Firefighters, and construction. Sure, more women are entering those jobs than in the past, but it's not a huge explosion. The number of applicants for those types of jobs are not commensurate with the number in white collar jobs. Females are also more reluctant to apply for promotions. You know why that is?

More women are focused on families than careers.
I guess by "naturally attracted to other professions", you mean "discouraged by society from pursuing careers in male-dominated career".
And why would women be reluctant to apply for promotions ? Maybe because women are socialized from birth to not put as much emphasis on their accomplishments as men ?

"More women are focused on families than careers"
Are they ?
And if this is indeed true, why could that be ? Could it be that women are socialised and encouraged from a young age to become "homemakers" through gendered toys, unconscious biases of the parents, etc. ? (same goes for boys and being encouraged and socialised to be "bread-winners", btw).
Doesn't it seem weird to you that your genitals at birth/your presentation encourage people to perceive you and expect you to behave a certain way ?

I NEVER SAID THAT. Nothing even close. What I said was, fewer women apply for jobs like airline pilot. Let me break it down for you:

I own my airline. I have positions for 100 pilots. The government says I have to have an equal amount of male and female pilots which limits me to 50 of each. I have 400 male applicants and only 100 female applicants . I only want the top 20% of all applicants to fly for me.

That means I have 80 males and 20 females, but the government says I need an equal amount of each. That means I have to tell 30 top male pilots to hit the bricks while hiring 30 females that qualified below my top 20% threshold.

THIS is what quotas get us.
That's assuming there's the same mean level of competence in both groups, which is unlikely:
Due to societal sexism, there's a selective pressure that women face that men don't. Which means that women who do make it out of pilot school in our example are "more talented", "hard-working and persistent" than their male peers.
There's only so many ways to say that women in male-dominated fields have to be way better at their jobs than their male counterparts to be taken seriously and make a living.

That may have been so 20 years ago, but the end result holds true today for different reasons. Women pursue jobs that have been historically male-dominated at a greater rate today than 20 years ago, but not by much. The fact remains that the vast majority of women in the US don't pursue male-dominated careers AS A MATTER OF CHOICE. These women would rather sacrifice work time and money to stay at home and be the primary caregiver for their children. It's a biological and scientific fact, Women need time off from work to carry, birth, and care for their young. In the US, 70% of women report taking time off following pregnancy with an average of 10 weeks off for maternity leave. You think that doesn't factor into how much the average woman earns versus the average female?

It is a cold, hard fact that the so-called "gender wage gap" is a fallacy on EVERY level.
Yeah, because societal attitudes towards women pursuing careers in male-dominated fields haven't changed that much.
Choices can be influenced in myriads of ways.
If you faced endless harassment and being constantly underestimated by pursuing a specific career that would probably otherwise suit you, then chances are you'll have to be really, really good at it or really, really determined to pursue it anyway.

That's a pretty prejudiced way of thinking. Not all women want biological children, or at all. And some straight up can't. Why assume all women will want to breed at some point in their life ?
Besides. The average number of children per family was slightly less than 2 in 2019. That's around 20 weeks of leave for an entire career.
When not pregnant, a woman performs the same work, with the same number of hours and competence, as any male coworker. The fact that she might take (usually unpaid) leave for family and medical reasons should be not reason to not compensate her fairly for her work.

And some men want to take care of their children and be the "homemaker" of their family, become househusbands or stay-at-home dads. What about them ? By your logic, shouldn't they get paid less as well, since they intend to stay at home to take care of their kids anyways ?

Here are a bunch of English-language scientific studies on the topic of the gender pay gap.

Again, absolute BULLSHIT. It is just as easy to make a living BECAUSE IT'S AGAINST THE LAW TO PAY SOMEONE LESS BASED ON THEIR SEX, GENDER, RACE, ETHNICITY, RELIGION OR DISABILITY.
It is also extremely difficult to PROVE that you're paying an employee less than their male, white, christian, able-bodied and neurotypical coworkers BECAUSE of their sex, gender, race, ethnicity, religion or disability. There's also the fact that people tend to shy away from disclosing to their coworkers how much they're making (here's a funny video explaining why it's important to tell your coworkers your salary).
So employers are pretty much free to do whatever they want.

SO many more factors come into play when we're talking about opportunities in the workforce, but the common misconception and popular argument these days is "You're a white male, you're the problem AND the barrier!" Yeah? Well FUCK YOU. I didn't create these problems, I never owned a slave, and I never rallied against womens' rights.
You're right. You, an individual, didn't create these problems. You never owned a slave, and never rallied against women's rights. From what I've seen, I believe you are a more than decent human being. That's not what we're saying the problem is.

Being a part of a privileged group isn't the problem either. Plenty of people are marginalized in some ways, yet privileged in others. For example, white women: oppressed for being women, but privileged for being white.

The problem is that we're living in a society that hugely benefits rich cis straight white men. This society created these problems that you, an individual, didn't create.
The problem is that too many cis straight white men pretend that this society doesn't benefit them and/or didn't create these problems, and they often actively oppose any change that minorities ask for out of a misguided perception that they're "under attack".

In short: we're not accusing all cis straight white men of having committed a nebulous original sin in the past, we're accusing some of them of denying the current reality lived by marginalized people and opposing our political fight for change and equality.

Sorry if I appear snarky in places. I tried not to be. Overall, I'm still glad we're having this discussion.

Last edited:

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
So apparently I stuck a nerve with that one, since you go on to use it at least 3 times in your reply. Sorry lol

It's pretty funny that you actually took that bait; I was alluding to the fact that I know this from first hand experiences because of where I live... but okay lmao.
I'll chuck a lot of sources at you right now, don't worry; not that I really see you sourcing your claims...

Here's the overarching topics on Wikipedia; I'll link to actual articles too, don't worry.
Also, I'll just paste the paragraph for each just in case you're too lazy to go to Wikipedia; as you seemed to with my prior sources (which I'll mention later)...

BEE:
  • Companies are scored based on the quota of black ownership, senior managers, training, as well as suppliers. These scores then translate into their ability to compete for government tenders.
  • BEE also has its own Wikipedia article here.
  • Articles criticizing it:
    -here and here.
  • Articles citing corruption via it:
    -here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here.

Affirmative action:
  • The SAPS (South African Police Service) operates a quota system policy for hiring and promotion. Positions will be left unfilled if the appropriate demographic candidate cannot be recruited, even if another qualified person is available.
  • Affirmative action has its own Wikipedia article here.
  • Negative outcomes of it:
    -here.

University requirements:
  • First year students are registered on a racial quota basis. In some cases there are different admission requirements for different demographics. For example: to study medicine at the University of Cape Town (UCT), white and Indian students require at least a 78% average on their National Senior Certificate, whereas black students only requires 59%. This is largely as a result of the quota system requiring privelaged access for certain ethnic groups - In 2016 the University of Kwazulu Natal quota for medical students is 69% black African, 19% Indian, 9% coloured, 2% white and 1% other.
  • Articles citing it:
    -here and here.

Quota system:
  • Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula has imposed quota systems in athletics, cricket, football, netball and rugby
  • Articles citing it:
    -here, here, here, and here.
I did say that quotas weren't an ideal solution ; the only real, long-lasting solution is to change societal mindsets, and that's arduous, long term work that will presumably never end.
Quotas are a stop-gap solution.

Not really. Unless you don't get that these were rhetorical questions.

That's conjecture (basically more of an assumption, really) as well. You don't have proof for those claims.
My real world experience tells me otherwise (something you can't dispute)
Funny how you assume that I'm working from incomplete or incorrect information without checking, lol

And anecdotal evidence. isn't reliable. That's why most serious, actual studies rely on statistics and large sample sizes.

and no; I'm not putting women down either. I think that they can be just as qualified and driven in any field as men - but using the narrative that they're automatically "more talented", "hard-working and persistent" than their male peers because of some perceived (only by some...) "injustices" doesn't make sense.
It's not that injustices make women more competent and hard-working than men in male-dominated fields, it's that woman HAVE TO BE more competent and hard-working than men to succeed in male-dominated fields BECAUSE of these injustices.
In other words: sexism and prejudice FILTER OUT women of average competence from these fields.

More on that topic - would women in the middle east think that these "injustices" that "deter" women from getting jobs in "male dominated" fields exist in first world countries? Nope; because they live through the real oppression; and they still manage to kick ass and get qualified. It's just that their society doesn't really allow for them to get jobs in those fields - which is not the argument than can be used across the board for first world countries (where the real enemy for women seems to be the narrative of "self oppression" by putting themselves down for wanting to be in a "male dominated" field).

I'm not misunderstanding you. I'm saying that that argument doesn't hold up in the case study of women in the middle east.
Why is it that women in the middle east, which face the most oppression (or at least definitively more than women in first world countries...) are getting qualified in STEM fields (which are mostly "male dominated" fields), whilst women in first world countries aren't? I'd think you'd have a better idea if you read the first link of my previous post, but don't worry, I've linked it again below.
Hence why I said it seems like "grasping at straws" - because women in the middle east don't have the luxury of saying they feel "deterred" as a reason for not pursuing qualifications / jobs in those fields.

If you want to make the argument that women in first word countries are actually more disadvantaged by their "internalized prejudice(s)" than literally oppressed women in third world countries, and more specifically the middle east - then I won't continue this further; as I feel I'll have more luck communicating with a brick wall.

The root cause is not the same. Women in the middle east are literally oppressed and they're getting qualified in "male dominated" fields. Women in first world countries aren't choosing these fields because they have a choice; women in the middle east don't have that choice if they want at least a modicum of independence - they need to be in those "male dominated" fields (as those aren't "male dominated" fields in the middle east - and would actually allow them to support themselves - if they were able to get a job, which may prove difficult).
It seems you didn't read the previous article I linked you... here, I'll link it again...

So the article seems to be saying that while women in Saudi Arabia earn a lot of science degrees, they are unlikely to put them to use for long because of the societal expectations put on them to become wives and mothers.

Meanwhile, according to this wikipedia article backed by several studies, it seems that women in STEM fields earn considerably less than men on average, and are also less likely to be promoted. So yeah, they do choose not to go to STEM, because of prejudice and sexism that deter them.

Yeah, women in the middle east are more overall oppressed than women in the USA. That doesn't mean women in the USA aren't oppressed.
In this case, it seems that the way women are discouraged from pursuing careers in STEMS differ in the Arab world and the US, but the cause is still societal sexism. So this does not contradict in any way what I was saying. Different sexist societies can be sexist in different ways, who knew ?

To conclude; maybe don't generalize. It's not a one all fits all use case. Also; "There are always others that are more disadvantaged than you".
This statement I agree with.

it would be better for one to put one's head down and focusing on oneself instead of continuously comparing oneself to others - which would potentially allow for one to work on oneself and bettering oneself - leading to potential boons to confidence, getting qualified and obtaining jobs in any field - instead of being stuck in ones own mindset.
That's all well and good, and to a degree I agree with this, but what you're suggesting only works if we assume that individual competence and skills are the only factors influencing the kind of opportunities one gets in life.
This is blatantly untrue. It should be obvious, for example, that a rich person will have overall better opportunities than a poor one. The kind of opportunities one gets are influenced by a complex web of factors including health, ethnicity, age, sex, gender, religion, class, etc. Ie things that one has little to no control over.
So what do you if you work hard on yourself, to be the best version of yourself that you can be, and still keep getting shitty opportunites, or none at all, because of things about yourself that you didn't choose and cannot change ?
You fight to make it so these things that you didn't choose and cannot change matter less to the kind of opportunities you get.

Undecided

Feb 16, 2021
Then I didn't that it was a metaphor, sorry.

I'm not sure I entirely get it either. Who's supposed to be the orchard owner in this scenario ? The government ? Does he give big companies more apples but lets them pay less, or even gives them for free ? How much did we each pay for these apples ? If we both paid the same price and got different numbers of apples, then the orchard owner is clearly being unfair, especially if we're strangers to them.
The orchard owner scenario is not that deep. It's an example to illustrate that your version of equality is not equality at all; it's actually equity.
And that is a subjective case; centering around opinions and bias. It's easier to just determine whether things are right based on ethics - that way it's not subjective.

See attached:
equity%20stmt%20spotlight%20image.png

It's easier to provide a list of articles (whether scientific or not - doesn't invalid non-scientific articles) you've actually read - so that people you're replying too actually know what they're supposed to read.
Such as:
Although; I will admit, I'm not particularly interested in the "wage gap" discussion; hence my rather brief response.
There are too many variables to consider, and with it always being a generalized case and not a case per case basis - it makes it almost impossible to ever reach a solution.

Undecided

Feb 16, 2021
So apparently I stuck a nerve with that one, since you go on to use it at least 3 times in your reply. Sorry lol
You didn't strike a nerve; it's just that it seems to me as though you put the bare minimum effort for researching your assertions - yet expect others to source their claims - hence I asked you to cite your claims in those areas.
Additionally, it was also clear to me in your initial response that you never read the article I initially cited in any case - which was why I did that repeatedly.

I did say that quotas weren't an ideal solution ; the only real, long-lasting solution is to change societal mindsets, and that's arduous, long term work that will presumably never end.
No, you actually said:
ShySquare said:
Which I just disproved, with the citations you've just brushed over; once again.

Not really. Unless you don't get that these were rhetorical questions.
You say that like it disproves my point. It's conjecture to preface those rhetorical questions as though they're fact. Which you did.

Funny how you assume that I'm working from incomplete or incorrect information without checking, lol

And anecdotal evidence. isn't reliable. That's why most serious, actual studies rely on statistics and large sample sizes.
Well, I've yet to see you actually cite anything that you actually seem to have read in depth yourself (aside from Wikipedia, which isn't the best to be referencing directly from in the first place - especially for discussions such as these).
And whilst "anecdotal evidence isn't reliable", discrediting it as though it doesn't factor in to how people react to discussions such as these (as evident in this very thread) is a tad disingenuous.
Also, please don't try and set the narrative that only scientific articles are valid to reference - because that really isn't the case. Statistics must be from a study, sure - but well referenced articles are okay to reference from as well.

It's not that injustices make women more competent and hard-working than men in male-dominated fields, it's that woman HAVE TO BE more competent and hard-working than men to succeed in male-dominated fields BECAUSE of these injustices.
In other words: sexism and prejudice FILTER OUT women of average competence from these fields.
I'd like to see your source for this assertion.
Unless that's anecdotal evidence?

So the article seems to be saying that while women in Saudi Arabia earn a lot of science degrees, they are unlikely to put them to use for long because of the societal expectations put on them to become wives and mothers.
Yes? I never disputed this. I actually alluded to it being messed up - but the fact is that they still got their qualifications in this "male dominant" field, which women in first world countries have too much "internalized prejudice" to do so and are "deterred" from being in a "male dominant" profession - which as said before is a generalization you've asserted with no specific cases cited.

Meanwhile, according to this wikipedia article backed by several studies, it seems that women in STEM fields earn considerably less than men on average, and are also less likely to be promoted. So yeah, they do choose not to go to STEM, because of prejudice and sexism that deter them.
Huh, I feel somewhat slighted. I went to the trouble of citing the in brief points I made with additional articles, but okay.
If that's the response you're going to give - like with the link you gave Paradox01, I guess it's to be expected.

So, just to get this straight, you're complaining about less women in "male dominated" fields (as seen in your prior posts), yet you're justifying as to why women are not working in these "male dominated" fields (because "wage gap").
Okay.

As I said in another post, the wage gap argument is too generalized and consists of too many variables for it to be applicable in every case by case basis - leading to it just being a perpetual cycle of misery for everyone involved.

Yeah, women in the middle east are more overall oppressed than women in the USA. That doesn't mean women in the USA aren't oppressed.
In this case, it seems that the way women are discouraged from pursuing careers in STEMS differ in the Arab world and the US, but the cause is still societal sexism. So this does not contradict in any way what I was saying. Different sexist societies can be sexist in different ways, who knew ?
Don't be disingenuous; you're changing the narrative of what was actually being discussed.
You actually said:
ShySquare said:
To which I replied:
Undecided said:
The basis of your argument was as to why women (which seemingly implies first world women) were "deterred" from being in "male dominant" fields - yet the results are different. Women in the middle east are getting qualified - whether they find work or not. Your notion was that women in first world countries were explicitly "deterred" because of "internalized prejudice(s)" that seem to have more weight than what was and is going on in the middle east - yet these women in the middle east are striving forward in the hopes of a career in said "male dominated" field regardless of the oppression they face.

This statement I agree with.
Oh.

That's all well and good, and to a degree I agree with this, but what you're suggesting only works if we assume that individual competence and skills are the only factors influencing the kind of opportunities one gets in life.
For the majority of people entering the work place initially, they indeed are the only factors for initial opportunities, yes.

This is blatantly untrue. It should be obvious, for example, that a rich person will have overall better opportunities than a poor one. The kind of opportunities one gets are influenced by a complex web of factors including health, ethnicity, age, sex, gender, religion, class, etc. Ie things that one has little to no control over.
Life is what you make of it. If you want to use a defeatist mindset then go ahead. Life isn't fair, it isn't equal - trying to force it to be is not something that is easily attainable, and in a lot of places; even feasible. But that doesn't mean that someone from a poorer background can't succeed in place of someone who is wealthy.
Sure, it's harder for poor people to succeed (due to the poverty life cycle); but I know of cases where this happens (success stories) - and I'm really happy it does happen.

So what do you if you work hard on yourself, to be the best version of yourself that you can be, and still keep getting shitty opportunites, or none at all, because of things about yourself that you didn't choose and cannot change ?
You keep on keeping on. Because that's what life is. Nobody is here to give you handouts or to make it as fair for you as possible. That is the reality - whether it's fair or not.
Trust me, a lot of people I know accepted that reality - especially when you see it on a daily basis.

You fight to make it so these things that you didn't choose and cannot change matter less to the kind of opportunities you get.
You do you, if that's what you want to do with your life.
Personally, I'd rather work on myself and my situation than try to change the world around me to suit my narratives (possibly more or less selfish, depending on your viewpoint).

Last edited:

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
It's easier to provide a list of articles (whether scientific or not - doesn't invalid non-scientific articles) you've actually read - so that people you're replying too actually know what they're supposed to read.
Articles are often biaised, and research papers usually have an abstract that summarizes the objective and findings of the study, right at the beginning of the paper.

it's just that it seems to me as though you put the bare minimum effort for researching your assertions - yet expect others to source their claims - hence I asked you to cite your claims in those areas.
I only asked for sources for one specific instance mentioned above - ie Tinman's Twitter Blocks 'Uncle Tim' From Trends Section After Senator Tim Scott's Speech.
You're the one who pointed in the general direction of "Third world countries", and pretended it was a source.

you never read the article I initially cited in any case - which was why I did that repeatedly
I did, I just failed to see why you thought it was supporting your point, since the article points out that yes, women are still a minority of STEM fields workers in the middle east, because they are expected to stop working to be "homemakers" - it's just that they get the most degrees in STEMS, and even then, the article says that they have to work way harder than their male counterparts to get them.

Also, that proves my point from earlier - prejudice and gender discrimination do filter out average women from male-dominated fields. Did you read the article in full ?

No, you actually said:
I did. Here :
Quotas aren't an ideal solution, obviously, but I do think the reasoning behind this is somewhat sound
Again, I'm not saying quotas are ideal by any means, but imo they're a wild sight better than no one even hiring female pilots because they're unjustly seen as inherently less qualified just because they happen to be women.

The basis of your argument was as to why women (which seemingly implies first world women) were "deterred" from being in "male dominant" fields - yet the results are different. Women in the middle east are getting qualified - whether they find work or not. Your notion was that women in first world countries were explicitly "deterred" because of "internalized prejudice(s)" that seem to have more weight than what was and is going on in the middle east - yet these women in the middle east are striving forward in the hopes of a career in said "male dominated" field regardless of the oppression they face.
As is explained in the article, in the very article you used as a source, women in the middle east don't use their STEMS degrees for long BECAUSE they are EXPECTED and encouraged to be homemakers, IE DISCOURAGED from pursuing long-term careers in STEMS. This expectation is UNFAIR and explains why there aren't many women working STEMS jobs in the middle east. Because that's the general MINDSET of the society they live in.

Women in "first world countries" like the USA are deterred from pursuing STEMS careers because prejudice means they will be paid way less than their male colleagues and are less likely to be promoted (plus the harassment and sexism to be expected in a male-dominated field).

So :
Same root cause (prejudice and gendered expectation rooted in sexism),
Different means (women getting a lot of stem degrees in the middle east but expected to give up their careers early to start a family in the middle east // economic deterrents for women in first world countries)
Same result (STEMS is a male-dominated field).

For the majority of people entering the work place initially, they indeed are the only factors for initial opportunities, yes.
Except as I said, it obviously isn't.

For example, let's say a company, company X, is looking for someone temporary to do a menial task - say data entry. Who do you think they'll hire : a person that send them their resume yesterday, or the child of the CEO who's looking for a summer job and has the same resume and skills ?
Who is more likely to be hired if a more permanent position opens up at this company ?
And that's if the CEO's child isn't expected to take over his parent's company in the first place, and essentially apprentices under their parent.
In this case, an external factor (one's blood relation to the CEO) strongly influences the chance of both candidates to get a job at company X.

And this is just one potential factor, there are loads of them that influence the kind of opportunities you get.

Life is what you make of it. If you want to use a defeatist mindset then go ahead. Life isn't fair, it isn't equal - trying to force it to be is not something that is easily attainable, and in a lot of places; even feasible. But that doesn't mean that someone from a poorer background can't succeed in place of someone who is wealthy.
Sure, it's harder for poor people to succeed (due to the poverty life cycle); but I know of cases where this happens (success stories) - and I'm really happy it does happen.
Acknowledging that life isn't fair is only defeatist if you believe it can't be changed. It can.
It already has. Through unions and protests and political reforms.

And of course it doesn't mean no poor person can succeed ! There are always outliers. But very few do, and what happens to those who don't ? For every success story, how many people live in abject poverty because through no fault of their own because the deck is so stacked against them.
I want to change the deck, and I sincerely believe it can be. It'll take a lot of effort, time, and people, but it can. And imo, it will be worth the all the work it takes.

You keep on keeping on. Because that's what life is. Nobody is here to give you handouts or to make it as fair for you as possible. That is the reality - whether it's fair or not.
Trust me, a lot of people I know accepted that reality - especially when you see it on a daily basis.
Of course you should keep on keeping on. And sometimes, keeping on means working to change the rules.
It's not a handout if people had to fight tooth and nail for years for it, all while still trying to survive - it's a hard-won victory. And then it becomes the new normal, and even though it may not be perfect yet, the way things used to be looks barbaric. Think of factory workers, for example.

You do you, if that's what you want to do with your life.
Personally, I'd rather work on myself and my situation than try to change the world around me to suit my narratives (possibly more or less selfish, depending on your viewpoint).
And good for you.

I want the world to be better, good, for everyone. That's my "narrative". That means seeing that there are problems with the world, how to solve them efficiently, and then do it. It just so happens that systemic changes is the best way to solve these problems, so I'll just have to do my best to help with that in any way I can.

Last edited:

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
Well, I've yet to see you actually cite anything that you actually seem to have read in depth yourself (aside from Wikipedia, which isn't the best to be referencing directly from in the first place - especially for discussions such as these).
And whilst "anecdotal evidence isn't reliable", discrediting it as though it doesn't factor in to how people react to discussions such as these (as evident in this very thread) is a tad disingenuous.
Also, please don't try and set the narrative that only scientific articles are valid to reference - because that really isn't the case. Statistics must be from a study, sure - but well referenced articles are okay to reference from as well.
So sourced news media articles are valid for a discussion like this, but sourced online collaborative encyclopedia articles aren't ? Good to know [X] [X] [X]

Anecdotal evidence is not worthless or invalid, but it must be used very, very carefully if one is to make generalizations out of it. Which is why it's not as reliable as statistics pulled from large sample sizes. Which is why many studies that do use anecdotal evidences (like surveys) try to mitigate this unreliability by using large samples.
A sample size of one isn't great.