A couple of questions about Lupine lore

Connor Lupin

Nov 19, 2021
Hi! I have a couple of questions regarding Lupine lore for a character I'm planning to write in the far-far future.
1) Are there any Jarls left in the Frost Marches?
2) Is the title of Jarl passed down to their children? I assume it is because Jarl Gunvaldsen said that Garret would be a Jarl today if he didn't get killed by an avalanche but I'm not totally sure.
3) How do other Lupine tribes/ other Lupines, in general, react to someone who has been sent to walk the ice/exiled?
4) Can other Lupines challenge a Jarl for their title? And if the answer is yes how do other Lupines react to a Jarl who has lost their title?
5) How many Lupine villages are left in the Forst Marches?
6) What does a Jarl do? Are they like village Chiefs on a larger scale?

Reactions: Burnerbro

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
1. No(t that we've mentioned anyway). The local political structure was on its way out already before the Godswar thanks to southern conquest.
2. Yes. Technically Gweyr would be the Jarlessa, if there's no more immediate family around -- say if Galon'd had a child older than Gweyr's grandma/pa.
3. Shun them.
4. Don't know! See point 1 as to why.
5. Probably several dozen, but so small as to not really be relevant -- they're all smaller than even Hawkethorne, and spread out over a couple hundred miles.
6. Basically yeah. In ye olde days, a jarl would rule a small fort and a few surrounding villages. Effectively it's the step below a king (whether or not they had a king to answer to themselves).

Connor Lupin

Nov 19, 2021
1. No(t that we've mentioned anyway). The local political structure was on its way out already before the Godswar thanks to southern conquest.
2. Yes. Technically Gweyr would be the Jarlessa, if there's no more immediate family around -- say if Galon'd had a child older than Gweyr's grandma/pa.
3. Shun them.
4. Don't know! See point 1 as to why.
5. Probably several dozen, but so small as to not really be relevant -- they're all smaller than even Hawkethorne, and spread out over a couple hundred miles.
6. Basically yeah. In ye olde days, a jarl would rule a small fort and a few surrounding villages. Effectively it's the step below a king (whether or not they had a king to answer to themselves).
So if Jarls aren't around anymore are Lupine village leaders chieftains? And do other Lupines just shun people who are made to walk the ice or do they actively try to kill them?

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Most villages these days are led by chieftains or aldermen depending on how Belharanized they are (Garth is the de facto alderman of Hawkethorne f.ex). And yes, just shun. The point of walking the ice is that nobody kills you, you just go die somewhere.

Reactions: Connor Lupin

Connor Lupin

Nov 19, 2021
Most villages these days are led by chieftains or aldermen depending on how Belharanized they are (Garth is the de facto alderman of Hawkethorne f.ex). And yes, just shun. The point of walking the ice is that nobody kills you, you just go die somewhere.
Can other Lupines challenge the Chieftain for the title like in the Orc village? And where does the defeated chieftain/challenger go? I assume they get exiled like with the Argoth if you beat him? Btw, thanks for answering my questions.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
No idea. If that's something you want to write, you'd probably be coming up with that degree of lore specificity on your own. We don't have any plans to really touch on the tribal lupines in that great detail :p