A bit of a problem I need help with.

ThatOneJester

Nov 14, 2015
So I've been mulling over a NPC submission for the past week or so, and I really wanted to get to work on that.
It seems though that I'm having trouble finding a race to fit him.
I thought up 3 different ones I could use, but the wiki says similar races are already being used.
Or some transformation item is in the game that has implications of a race being made I guess as well?
So I was wondering what people usually do in this situation.
I have a general idea on my NPC's personality, style, as well as a background and such.
But I'm unable to come up with a Race for him at all.

If push comes to shove I would need to come up with my own race for what is currently not in the game.
Although I'm uncertain of what I would even pick to start writing about.
Again I already thought up 1 Race of my own but it was too similar to one in the game.
So I looked up the Wiki to see if I could come up with something new.
3 idea's, no pick that isn't similar in appearance to what is available.

I saw that the inhabitants of Myrellion have 2 different Ant species.
Is it alright to make one of my own in the sense of having similar appearances but different physiological traits?
I don't want to infringe on another persons content in anyway.
I see those kind of things like a copyright contract...
Thank you for all of the input given for my inquiry.

Also sorry if this is in the wrong area, I had no idea where to put it.
Questions about event/idea submission are difficult to find?
A lot of the questions I had were answered in the sticky threads I found.
Only this one I could not find an answer to.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
So I've been mulling over a NPC submission for the past week or so, and I really wanted to get to work on that.
It seems though that I'm having trouble finding a race to fit him.
But I'm unable to come up with a Race for him at all.

I'm not really sure what your question is. It seems like you could/should just use one of the existing races -- that's what they're there for. If you strongly feel the need for minor differences, gene mods exist for a reason.

ThatOneJester

Nov 14, 2015
@Savin
Sorry, let me explain a bit more.
The 1 Race I wanted to make the most was based around a mouse.
But the Rodenians are already a thing.
And I hate to say that I hate their Reproduction and Culture descriptions in the wiki.
A lot...
I could always just say he was a human that made himself look mouse like, but it feels kind of off to me.
I hate to say I'm a bit stubborn.

After thinking a bit last night I did just think I should make him human?
Although from what I can tell most people would think that is boring.
Also so far the "humans" with the most content have a lot of hate for them, or are constantly asked to add content for that would change their personalities completely.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
a simple mouse morph is probably your best bet.

Also I can recall very little real hate for human characters outside of the super controversial characters that just happen to be human.

ThatOneJester

Nov 14, 2015
@Savin
@Xeivous

Thank you very much for your input, I'll get started on writing now.
(Isn't heard from for a few months do to OCD on writing) :p

Also have a merry December! <3

cool.alexia

Feb 16, 2017
I thought up 3 different ones I could use, but the wiki says similar races are already being used.
Or some transformation item is in the game that has implications of a race being made I guess as well?

The easiest way is to go 'human with unspecified combination of mods'. It is not important if the player could achieve the same appearance or not. AFAIK Sera has glowing horns and there is no way to get glowing horns as a player.

Second, it is an easy shorthand for 'the race is not important for this character', because it rarely is. You want the reader to focus on the personality and cut away anything that isn't important to it. If the NPC could be different races, then the race os not important to that NPC. That is ok.

For the opposite example look at Embry. Embry is who she is because of her race's culture. There it is important. It made her who she is.

It's your first project. The most important thing is that you make the smallest possible contribution. A NPC is a lot of work. It's easy to get burned out and never finish. It is always more work than you think it is. That's why most people start with a good contribution bit, but never finish.

Make something small and finish it. The smaller it is the better.

Last edited:

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
If it's not too much to ask, could you elaborate?
It's in the wiki too.
If you want the nutshell version, it involves ear vaginas, breast wombs, and a gland in their head that makes them super pliant and suggestible when pressed during sex to the point they're easy to be taken advantage of by slavers because of said pliancy.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
Last edited:

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
It's in the wiki too.
If you want the nutshell version, it involves ear vaginas, breast wombs, and a gland in their head that makes them super pliant and suggestible when pressed during sex to the point they're easy to be taken advantage of by slavers because of said pliancy.
Oh, right, I forgot.

.... eh. It's FAR from the weirdest thing I've gotten off to.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
Oh, right, I forgot.

.... eh. It's FAR from the weirdest thing I've gotten off to.
It's pretty weird but I've gotten used to it myself. In a game said to have 'aliens' I expect 'alien' anatomy in some way, so yeah, pretty easy to get used to if you consider the setting. lol

Last edited:

Raindrops

Jun 19, 2016
It's in the wiki too.

... huh, that is actually pretty meh. I guess it's nice for people who've got an ear fetish or something? It is a huge shame that the entire race is like that though, as it kinda prevents the species from being used by more common fetishes, outside of modded individuals.

ThatOneJester

Nov 14, 2015
Already started working on my NPC.
I'm done with the description of his looks, his name, and such basic things.
I also have a decent idea on what personality to give him as well~
(I rewrote everything at least 10-20 times until I had something that felt right).
Now comes the annoying part of actually writing scenes for him for the introduction, dialog choices, sex scenes, and finally fine tuning the scenes in a way that leaves room for future content to be added if needed.

Just to put it out there, but I personally am a person with little self confidence in anything I make myself.
As well as having a pessimistic/realist blended view on anything that happens around me.
I thing this may take me longer to write than most people.
But hopefully by that time I hear some decent feedback when I feel it's ready to be critiqued. <3
(The only thing I ever made myself that has been shown to people other than close friends is my current forum avatar pic).

Wish me luck!

@cool.alexia
Thank you for the advice, but I'm an extremely stubborn person when I set my mind on something I want to do.
It helps enough that you cared to even give me some advice!
Even if it turns out with bad results and public opinion I will finish what I started.
I never leave an action half finished after all.