[0.9.090-PUBLIC#4586] Shalin Shaman Bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
Shalin Shaman said:
Hawk eyes locked on you, the bird-taur lifts her crossbow to her shoulder and fires, the dead thunk of its mechanism merging with her ululating battle screech into one dreadful sound. The bolt slams into you with the force of a meteor. Once again you feel the searing pain of the poison she dips her arrows in.

You manage to avoid the Shalin Shaman’s arrow.
At first, I thought this was Lucky Breaks, but on reviewing the code, I don't think so. Maybe. Sometimes it shows the proper Doge, sometimes it says it hits, then misses.
It would be nice to have a special message when Lucky Breaks saves Steele, so the player can tell when it's working.

You wave away the cloud of dust thrown up by the impact, behold the Icarian colossus. For a moment you allow yourself to believe your quick thinking and shooting have finished her... and then, with slow, murderous intent, she clambers back to her feet, eyes and hair flaming. Her wings hang limply at her side now, too hurt to function, but she hasn’t given up. She looks like a goose on a towpath. “By earth or by air, no change demon, no change. Aiaiaiaiaiaiaai! I grasp you, I cast you out!” (H: −200)

You wave away the cloud of dust thrown up by the impact, behold the Icarian colossus. For a moment you allow yourself to believe your quick thinking and shooting have finished her... and then, with slow, murderous intent, she clambers back to her feet, eyes and hair flaming. Her wings hang limply at her side now, too hurt to function, but she hasn’t given up. She looks like a goose on a towpath. “By earth or by air, no change demon, no change. Aiaiaiaiaiaiaai! I grasp you, I cast you out!”
This prints twice, for some reason. Once with damage, the other without.

You wave away the cloud of dust thrown up by the impact, behold the Icarian colossus. For a moment you allow yourself to believe your quick thinking and shooting have finished her... and then, with slow, murderous intent, she clambers back to her feet, eyes and hair flaming. Her wings hang limply at her side now, too hurt to function, but she hasn’t given up. She looks like a goose on a towpath. “By earth or by air, no change demon, no change. Aiaiaiaiaiaiaai! I grasp you, I cast you out!” (H: −49)

You wave away the cloud of dust thrown up by the impact. You see a red-tipped wing being spread, a talon being extended in search of footing, the slow, deliberate actions of the very stunned... and then they falter and give up. This bird is cooked.

Hawk eyes locked on you, the bird-taur lifts her crossbow to her shoulder and fires, the dead thunk of its mechanism merging with her ululating battle screech into one dreadful sound. You feint, and the bolt misses you by a whisker. In an elegant dance-like movement, the shalin slots another bolt into the crossbow’s rail, dips it towards the ground, catches its lever with a foot talon and, with a ‘croo,’ reloads by stepping heavily down.
If crashing KOs the bottom half, the battle ends, but she still gets one last attack?

Last edited:

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
At first, I thought this was Lucky Breaks, but on reviewing the code, I don't think so. Maybe. Sometimes it shows the proper Doge, sometimes it says it hits, then misses.
It would be nice to have a special message when Lucky Breaks saves Steele, so the player can tell when it's working.
This is actually just the wrong setup for the attack. At first, the action calculates if the ranged attack misses. It uses this result to output the text, which is what you see. But if the attack is marked as a hit it just triggers a "simple ranged attack" action, which recalculates the miss chance and outputs its own ranged attack hit/miss blurb. This was incorrect and it should apply the damage directly instead of call another attack. I've changed it to do just that, and because the arrow hit is described as burning with poison, I've laced the enemy's bow weapon with some poison damage.

This prints twice, for some reason. Once with damage, the other without.
The twice printing is due to being in a loop (you are technically fighting two enemies). I moved the text out of the loop and used the loop to flag the variant result for the text.

If crashing KOs the bottom half, the battle ends, but she still gets one last attack?
I've adjusted the upper half to consider being defeated if the lower body is knocked out (via HP) to match the checks in the text.

I also made cropped versions of the enemy's bust so it could display properly in combat. Hopefully all these changes will appear in the next release.

Reactions: Theron

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
...and because the arrow hit is described as burning with poison, I've laced the enemy's bow weapon with some poison damage.
Speaking of: The Shalinae Ki-Bow has no Damage Flags. Given that it's 'classified as an anti-vehicle missile', it should probably be Penetrating.

Shalinae Ki-Bow said:
Going against it, at least for any creature that doesn’t have a strong lower body with dextrous feet, is the excruciating reload.
It actually is possible for Steele to have a 'strong lower body with dextrous feet' (Avian, at least, can be prehensile). Accounting for that goes against the principle that TFs should have minimal combat application, but I wanted to throw it out there.

Last edited:

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
Speaking of: The Shalinae Ki-Bow has no Damage Flags. Given that it's 'classified as an anti-vehicle missile', it should probably be Penetrating.
Okay, added for the next release. Not sure if it'll require a nerf or revert due to budgeting, but that can be decided upon later review.

It actually is possible for Steele to have a 'strong lower body with dextrous feet' (Avian, at least, can be prehensile). Accounting for that goes against the principle that TFs should have minimal combat application, but I wanted to throw it out there.
It's fine--most body parts don't affect the gameplay mechanically, so you can take that description more as flavor text by the author. Using the bow shouldn't have a body part type restriction.

Reactions: Theron

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
Okay, added for the next release. Not sure if it'll require a nerf or revert due to budgeting, but that can be decided upon later review.
I'm 90% sure it's a sidegrade*. The vast majority of weapons have damage flags and not having one means it's not affected by the armor flag system, IIRC. It also made it stand out as unusual, if nothing else, which is why I thought it might be a bug.
*Most Bows have it, even.

It's fine--most body parts don't affect the gameplay mechanically, so you can take that description more as flavor text by the author. Using the bow shouldn't have a body part type restriction.
I wouldn't expect it to be restricted to certain body types: the flavor text implies it is reloadable without, just painful. More like a reduction to the Evasion penalty, since you can reload faster, or something.

But we agree this is flavor text. It's just fun to think about What Ifs, sometimes.

Last edited:

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
I'm 90% sure it's a sidegrade*. The vast majority of weapons have damage flags and not having one means it's not affected by the armor flag system, IIRC. It also made it stand out as unusual, if nothing else, which is why I thought it might be a bug.
*Most Bows have it, even.
I do agree, but there's also an actual budget calculator on the dev-side to weigh whether or not an equipment item is overpowered depending on the item's level and various other factors. At the moment, with this change, the weapon is over budget by 15 "points", which isn't huge, relatively speaking, but it is still over budget. Eventually, there will need to be a balance pass over all the over-budget and under-budget items (if they aren't intended to be such), but combat balancing isn't my forte, so I'll leave it to the other devs.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
I do agree, but there's also an actual budget calculator on the dev-side to weigh whether or not an equipment item is overpowered depending on the item's level and various other factors. At the moment, with this change, the weapon is over budget by 15 "points", which isn't huge, relatively speaking, but it is still over budget.
There's also the question of how accurate the calculator is. Was it updated after making -Evasion increase damage*? Making Accuracy directly counter Evasion? How much is Burn Chance worth?

*This ties into a criticism I have of Power Armor. Power Armor and Weapons usually have Evasion penalties, which stack. You're actually worse off using Power Armor with Power Armor Weapons than using one or the other.
And look at Behemoth Scale: Is 22 Defense really going to counter taking 60% more damage?

Edit: I had the idea of making Power Armor negate the Evasion penalties of the weapons, thus making it more attractive to use both.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.